Aitch a hundred

wuvvum

Well done, you can now set up a bit of a sideline as a carpet-fitter.

Funnily enough the only other one of these that I see on a regular basis belongs to Wensum Carpets in Norwich - it's their second one, I assume the first rotted away.

A forward-control van is quite high on my wish list but I hadn't thought of these, looks pretty good for a 15 year old van.

I remember these coming out in the late 90s and a fuss being made about how cheap they were, I think they started at £9,000 which seemed like absurdly good value for such a big vehicle.

Access to the engine is by lifting up the passenger seat.  I haven't worked out how one is supposed to prop the seat in position yet - the handbook is useless in this regard

I like these. My L300 Delica has a webbing loop hanging from the door post, just beneath the top seatbelt mount. This loops over a flat hook-ish thing on the side of the engine cover to hold it up. Hopefully the H100 will have something equally sophisticated.

It sounds a bit like the Delica to drive - probably less wobbly and a little more spritely. Same power* but I guess with much less weight to drag around.

Unlike the Deli, it doesn't look like a Bosch(-ish) pump in the photo - or am I mis-seeing things? (and yes, 'mis-seeing' is a word**).

**that I just made up

It's a Bosch (or Zexel) pump with electronic diesel control, looks similar to a late indirect injection L200 engine.

Ooo - are they more or less 'tune-able' than the mechanical(?) type.

As I'm a bit of a Luddite, 'electronic' suggests 'don't touch' to me. However, since some folks on here seem able to resurrect a Laguna using the heart of an Espace, then I guess anything is possible?

I like.

There is a late L300 parked down the road from me which looks abandoned, green mould all over it,rusty steaks running down from the roof rack and a general grimyness that you can almost feel just from walking past it.

How long has it sat there?

Since the guy got home from work in it today and every day! :-)

Ooo - are they more or less 'tune-able' than the mechanical(?) type.

As I'm a bit of a Luddite, 'electronic' suggests 'don't touch' to me. However, since some folks on here seem able to resurrect a Laguna using the heart of an Espace, then I guess anything is possible?

Not so tuneable with spanners but on my VW TDI with a similar EDC setup you can essentially plug in a laptop and upload new 'maps' to the ECU.

p028v5sp.jpg

THE COMPUTER AGE

I drove this to work today.  I'm liking it more and more - it's just incongruously pleasant to drive, and I love the growl of the big old diesel under my left arse cheek.  It's also surprisingly good at overtaking dithering old twats in Peugeot 206s - as Nibblet said, not a great deal of power but loads of torque.  I'm also continuing to be impressed by the suspension - it's a little bit bouncy at times, but the body control is much better than the Townace (which is probably the closest equivalent that I've owned, being a big van with a short wheelbase and massive overhangs), and the general ride is pretty good for a commercial vehicle. 

It's also the only forward control van that I've felt confident throwing into a corner.  The Midi understeered like a bastard, the Subaru felt like it could snap oversteer at any moment, and the Townace and Rascal felt like they'd fall over if I overdid things.  The LT40 cornered well enough, to be fair, but it was a heavy bastard with no PAS so a bit of a struggle to drive enthusiastically.

Overall the old Hyundai is looking more and more like a keeper.

The really scary thing though is that I now own three vans with a full complement of gears.  :shock:

All Jap vans need a column shift manual for MAX WIN but I'll admit this is a good starting point, 

Even a slow speed collision means you'll be able to enter Stars In Their Eyes as Douglas Bader and be guaranteed at least a place in the semi finals. 

when I worked as a plumber in Kildare on a big industrial building site; 10 odd years ago, the trick was to get out early at lunchtime to get to the top of the deli queue at the only local shop for miles - it was the middle of winter n often pissing down, so the unwritten rule amoung all the contractors, was you could car jack whatever van was, nearest whatever exit - the keys being on the visor in the doorpocket, n rally it down to shop...

....anyways one of the plasters had one of these parked outside where I was working, n I attempted to tear off for the shop with the usual wrecklessness n abandon- what a truly horrible driving position; being 6'4 I felt completely cramped - it was like driving some sort of torture devise... the site was the usual liquid soup, but no trouble at all to our hiace work vans... the Hyundai  was barely controllable at all, n got very sideways n stuck  - took me ages to actually exit the site itself, n the queue was already half way up the isle by the time I made it there...- verdict _ 'definitely not for me'!!