Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

I locked myself back in the garage yesterday morning and got stuck in. No pictures but I managed to achieve...

Precats gutted and manifold refitted

Rattly heatshields removed.

Cam cover gasket replaced

PCV valve checked and cleaned-I suspect a new one wouldn't hurt as the spring didn't feel very springy. It did seem to close OK though

Plugs checked-new ones ordered as they are past their past.

Rear brakes back together.

Took it a spin last night and it feels pretty good, brakes are good but need bled, the bleed nipples are all very crusty though. It may be a bit quicker with the precats removed but that could be wishful thinking. It pulls pretty well though anyway.

Next on the list.

Weigh in the contents of the precats-anyone know where I can do this and if it's worth while?

Get underneath it and check the bushes properly-it was too tight in the garage to do this. It's a little bit unstable when lifting off at motorway speeds so I suspect something is worn/out of alignment. We'll get the alignment set up before it ventures onto the track, it may well have uprated suspension by then. 

Drive it some more and wait for other problems to rear their heads...

• 1 month later...

Still getting to grips with this, it's good fun to drive but I've yet to bond with it properly-it's very light at the front end and a bit understeery, even on T1RS. I suspect a back of sand/cement in the front may happen for Knockhill. It was good fun in the snow we had recently, the LSD spins up both rear wheels nicely and overcomes the understeer...

We picked up a very cheap hardtop for it, sadly the fitting kit cost more than the hardtop. It makes a big difference, mainly as our fabric roof is fucked. It almost looks respectable now, or would if I actually washed the thing...

post-7629-0-56327500-1517683411_thumb.jpg

There was something not quite right about the handling so I went out today to have a prod around. All bushes seemed fine, I also managed to free 3 out of 4 bleed nipples off so will be able to get fresh fluid into it. One did shear off though :-(

I came to the front right, jacked it up and straight away noticed a problem-a wobble before I loosened off the wheel bolts. I'd noticed some roughness in that wheel bearing when we got it, that has got worse now and turned into some play.

Not too long afterwards, this had happened.

post-7629-0-95102500-1517683684_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-47670100-1517683453_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-43233400-1517683488_thumb.jpg

A new bearing is on order and should be here by the middle of next week. That and a brake bleed (and a bag of sand) and it should be ready for it's first track day...

• 2 weeks later...
Time for an update, I managed to get some bits and pieces done last weekend

Firstly, the S4 was due a service and MOT. This seemed like a good time to replace the gearbox and diff fluids, seeing as I got them back last April...

post-7629-0-34055100-1518712605_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-53806600-1518712618_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-29974000-1518712630_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-83003400-1518712648_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-41236000-1518712662_thumb.jpg

Engine, gearbox and diff oils all changed. Engine oil was dead easy due to no undertray and a sensiby mounted filter. Diff and gearbox weren't too bad, I used a big syringe for the diff and my lidl electric pump for the gearbox. Air filter was also changed. 

The diff and gearbox oil both came out looking fairly clean, I reckoned at 124k it made sense to change them though. Gearshift does feel better since changing the oil which is a bonus.

MOT passed successfully with a few advisories including exhaust getting rusty. I wish I could justify/afford a Milltek but they ain't cheap...

The S4 also got a bloody good wash after this, it was filthy. 

The MR2 has got a bit of attention too.

The new front hub arrived and was fitted, it seems to have gone a long way to having cured the slight vaugeness at speed and making it feel a lot more positive.

To celebrate I gave it a wash and the quickest T-cut you've ver seen. It's now a 20 footer.

To celebrate even further I met up with 320touring to go for a wee blast on Sunday, him in his Clio 172 and me in the MR2. Some fine roads were followed by some fine food which was followed by quite a lot of snow. Bugger.

Still, it was good to drive the wee thing on some dry(ish) roads and get a feel for it. It gave me a lot more confidence in it than I'd had previously so I'm more prepared for its first track day in a couple of weeks. The wee Clio wasn't pulling away from me as much as I thought which was nice!

post-7629-0-47217300-1518712770_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-60031500-1518712782_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-22512700-1518712794_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-13782300-1518712806_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-07218200-1518712814_thumb.jpg

I'll replace the brake fluid before the track day and that's probably all, unless I get the chance to fit a DIY induction kit. It's a fairly easy job to get an induction kit sucking in nice cold air from the LHS vent in front of the rear wheel which should improve the sound if nothing else.

Still hanker after an S4 - however seeing so many non runners has put me off - the thought of a £2k bill for timing chains has me sweating.

I know what you mean. If mine needs done it'll get them, it's a good example.

Mine doesn't rattle for more than a second on a cold startup, so I'm happy. It often doesn't rattle at all. Audi say the 1 second thing is normal so until it starts idling badly and throwing codes I'm not worrying, I've heard how one sounds when they go, you can't miss it. 

It's also been serviced on non long life intervals which will help. I've got a set of return valves for the head to replace which can fail allowing the oil to drain back out, at under £100 for the kit it's a worthwhile thing to do. The parts are Lamborghini branded too as that was the cheapest way to get them!

There was nothing else around with the combination of V8, manual box, carrying capacity and LPG. I got it for the right price and it's been looked after so I'd happily* drop £1k on a set of chains and pull the engine and do it myself. 

I've been using the MR2 this week for work and it costs me more in fuel, and it's pretty economical!

So, in a break from the norm*, I seem to have accidentally* bought a broken car.

The rationale was simple-I go on holiday in a month and some extra spending money would be handy. What better way to make some spending money than to buy a broken car, fix it and bask in the profits? 

We'll see...

The usual sites were perused and the usual shite was available and ignored. The criteria was simple

Broken

Cheap as possible

New as possible

Desirable* to the car buying masses when fixed

A couple of Mk3 Clios came and went before I could get to them, as did interestingly a couple of Mini Cooper Ss but again I wasn't quick enough.

Last night I travelled to a small reservation on the outskirts of Glasgow by the name of Blantyre.

I met a lady and she took me to an industrial estate where my quarry was located.

The story-Hubbys car which started making ominous noises on the way back from the Lake District. They got recovered to the garage it was now parked outside who diagnosed a fucked gearbox. 

2 keys were present, the car looked honest as did the seller. I duly handed over some cash and had a look at what I'd bought...

post-7629-0-85061100-1519380708_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-83043200-1519380152_thumb.jpg

It's a 2007( I know, right!!) Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol manual. Be still your beating hearts...

It seems honest enough  with a couple of dents and scrapes and a collection of sweet wrappers inside. Maybe not Cavcraft quality but not far off...

The girls husband had apparently forked out in the region of a grand for brakes and tyres recently and couldn't face the prospect of a new gearbox. A cheap, quick sale was required, especially with a newborn kid. MOT'd til May

A quick drive around he industrial estate where it was parked confirmed: it was fucked. 

It feels a lot like 320Touring silver Clio did with the fucked crownwheel on the diff. Forward motion in a straight line is possible(but noisy) but turning corners causes horrible noises/banging.

I locked it up and left it for the night.

I need to decicde how to get it back home. Shiply quotes are around £50, however I have breakdown cover and am tempted to nurse it the 40 odd miles home. WCPGW?

Sigh, why do I do these things to myself?

So, in a break from the norm*, I seem to have accidentally* bought a broken car.

The rationale was simple-I go on holiday in a month and some extra spending money would be handy. What better way to make some spending money than to buy a broken car, fix it and bask in the profits?

We'll see...

The usual sites were perused and the usual shite was available and ignored. The criteria was simple

Broken

Cheap as possible

New as possible

Desirable* to the car buying masses when fixed

A couple of Mk3 Clios came and went before I could get to them, as did interestingly a couple of Mini Cooper Ss but again I wasn't quick enough.

Last night I travelled to a small reservation on the outskirts of Glasgow by the name of Blantyre.

I met a lady and she took me to an industrial estate where my quarry was located.

The story-Hubbys car which started making ominous noises on the way back from the Lake District. They got recovered to the garage it was now parked outside who diagnosed a fucked gearbox.

2 keys were present, the car looked honest as did the seller. I duly handed over some cash and had a look at what I'd bought...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180222_185340922.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180222_185332721.jpg

It's a 2007( I know, right!!) Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol manual. Be still your beating hearts...

It seems honest enough with a couple of dents and scrapes and a collection of sweet wrappers inside. Maybe not Cavcraft quality but not far off...

The girls husband had apparently forked out in the region of a grand for brakes and tyres recently and couldn't face the prospect of a new gearbox. A cheap, quick sale was required, especially with a newborn kid. MOT'd til May

A quick drive around he industrial estate where it was parked confirmed: it was fucked.

It feels a lot like 320Touring silver Clio did with the fucked crownwheel on the diff. Forward motion in a straight line is possible(but noisy) but turning corners causes horrible noises/banging.

I locked it up and left it for the night.

I need to decicde how to get it back home. Shiply quotes are around £50, however I have breakdown cover and am tempted to nurse it the 40 odd miles home. WCPGW?

Sigh, why do I do these things to myself?

Happy birthday mate.... I cant think of a better* birthday present

I can see nothing* wrong with this at all :)

Just fill the gearbox full of sawdust then relist on eBay with the sub title “strait kut grbx” to cover from the howls of pain omitting from the front end

And stiff gear change.

I can’t imagine there’s a much easier car to sell once fixed .

That’s that cursed.