Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Nice work but you really should have oiled the shells before fitting .

I did oil them , I thought Cort was referring to some assembly paste/snake oil type thing.

Made it to work today so I'm calling that a win. Will have a look at my handiwork in daylight later.

A new battery arrived today to replace the goosed one it came with so I fitted that tonight

I also had a look underneath at the leaky sump-it looks like it's gone porous. I wiped off some oil from the side of the sump and watched oil bubble out. Never seen that before  :shock:

The seller did mention that so fair play to him. 

That'll explain the oil leak then, and possibly how the big ends went-if the oil level gets too low then the big ends get starved of oil on hard cornering. 

I looked into patching it up which seems a bit it and miss. I then saw that a brand new sump can be had for £34 so that's a no brainer-ordered up!

• 3 weeks later...
So, the Locost is on holiday at it's winter retreat leaving the garage at the house free for MR2 fettling.

post-7629-0-03925600-1513335394_thumb.jpg

Was interesting driving it there in sub zero conditions, even though it's only a couple of miles from the house. It'll be back though, there's more work to do on it over the winter. 

The MR2 was maneuvered into the garage. It had been sitting outside the house on a slight slope, when I let the handbrake off it didn't move which indicated a sticky brake. 

post-7629-0-76003700-1513335449_thumb.jpg

How can a small car seem so big?

I JUST had enough room to access all 4 corners so wheels off and time for some assessment. Sliders on the front were seized, not a big surprise as the discs had uneven wear and I had replacements lined up.

Sliders were duly freed off and it got new pads and discs on the front. The rear brakes were stripped too-some uneven wear on the discs meant new ones were purchased, the pads will do for the meantime though. Other than one rusty spring on the front it all looks serviceable, we'll no doubt replace things as we go though.

I also had a look at the bleed nipples-all 4 are pretty rough looking so I don't fancy my chances. The fronts have had a couple of cycles of heat/Plusgas but they'll get a few more before I even think of trying to undo them. 

Meanwhile I drained the oil in preparation for removing the sump. Sump off and new one fitted. I stupidly left the drain pan under the car whilst doing other work, this resulted in crap falling into the oil which has only done about 100 miles. Balls. Fresh oil won't hurt I suppose.

New sump on and tightened up I left it for the night after checking for leaks-all seems good!

Sump leak fixed  I turned my attention to one of these cars Achilles heels-the dreaded precats.

I've touched on this before but basically-bad design of piston rings leads to burning oil, this contaminates the pre cats causing them to break up. Particles get sucked back into the engine - Big badda boom

I had already plusgassed the bolts I could see but a couple of the heat shield bolts were beyond saving so the grinder came out to play for these.

Heat shield off

post-7629-0-73686100-1513339096_thumb.jpg

I warmed the engine up to get some heat in it as the manifold bolts looked a bit crusty, luckily they all came off with out a fight. I even used my electric impact gun on the downpipe bolts- I need to use it more often as it is a damn good tool. I'd already bought a tool for removing the lambda sensors-I've learned the hard way that the right tools make life so much easier. 

Manifold off

post-7629-0-16547100-1513339155_thumb.jpg

And here are the precats.

post-7629-0-08584600-1513339053_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-99942600-1513339123_thumb.jpg

They look OK which is a relief. 

This brings us up to date with this thing-next on the list.

Gut the precats and refit

Fit new rear discs.

Fit new cam cover gasket as ours leaks.

Probably fit a set of lowering springs. 

I also need to do the cam cover gaskets in the Audi. I'm not looking forward to this. It doesn't fit in the garage though so that can wait until better weather....

Christ you would have to be seriously unlucky or it have a bloody weird cam profile for bits of that cat to end up back inside the engine surely ?

Or can it get in via the egr ? If so it would be easier to blank that than knock the cats out

Yeah, they circle round via the EGR. I was thinking along those lines too, but I assume there must be a reason why it's better to remove the cats, perhaps blanking the EGR causes engine management problems?

I struggled with this too.

Stolen from the internet..

"The 1ZZ also uses it's VVT to perform EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) functions without the aid of a specific valve like other cars. Under certain operating conditions (usually steady cruise) the cams are timed to scavenge some exhaust gas back into the cylinders, as a way of reducing the high hydrocarbon emissions that modern petrol engines generate at certain times."

So yeah, the exhaust gases(and bits of precats) gets sucked back into the engine under certain conditions.

I'm having a head-scratch moment here...

If the rear engine in the mr2 is the same as other Toyota fwd (it pushes the driver same as a fwd pulls the driver) - but looking at the orientation - the gearbox appears on the opposite end from fwd [you see the engine as if looking through the bulkhead from the fwd drivers seat!].

How come the exhaust manifold is on the opposite side of the head??

TS

I'm having a head-scratch moment here...

If the rear engine in the mr2 is the same as other Toyota fwd (it pushes the driver same as a fwd pulls the driver) - but looking at the orientation - the gearbox appears on the opposite end from fwd [you see the engine as if looking through the bulkhead from the fwd drivers seat!].

How come the exhaust manifold is on the opposite side of the head??

TS

I have no idea about other Toyotas but this is the same engine as last gen celicas (and the same gearbox I think) but just lifted and dropped in the rear. My photos are all taken from the back of the car so it is exactly like looking through the bulkhead on a fwd car. 

P.S. I had to read that even more than your normal posts, it scans perfectly!

If that engine was in my car the exhaust manifold would be against the bulkhead... Not behind the radiator...

Got me stumped m8

TS

So? Loads of FWD engines are the 'wrong way' around.

The 3S-GTE in my mk2 MR2 is the usual way around - shame, cos they'd be a load easier to work on if they were like the 1ZZ-FE.

Or am I missing something? Perfectly possible with a Savvy post!

If that engine was in my car the exhaust manifold would be against the bulkhead... Not behind the radiator...

Got me stumped m8

TS

Yeah but you've not got the same engine. Some have the inlet at the front, some at the rear.

Back when (All) Vauxhall(s are shite) ran the cavalier in the BTCC they spent a lot of money converting the xe engine from having the inlet at the rear to having it at the front, reckoning that gained them a few bhp.

post-7629-0-19587500-1513461292_thumb.png

Nuts, but since then I've been of the opinion that a transverse engine should have inlet at the front and exhaust at the rear.

Dinnar wot ya on about man

.... My Carina engine 4A-F(fitted in shit loads of Toyota models) has the exhaust / inlet the wrong sides for the MR2.

In my ignorance I thought they all slotted in 'mix 'n match'?

Put it another way... How many fwd Toyotas have the exhaust manifold against the bulkhead ?

TS

.... My Carina engine 4A-F(fitted in shit loads of Toyota models) has the exhaust / inlet the wrong sides for the MR2.

In my ignorance I thought they all slotted in 'mix 'n match'?

Put it another way... How many fwd Toyotas have the exhaust manifold against the bulkhead ?TS

Most of them. But that depends which bulkhead you mean lol.