Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Well, Home safe.

Remarkably the Edinburgh city bypass was pretty quiet so we made good time, got to the house before the owner got back .

Paperwork was filled in, a set of jump leads were applied and the petrol station (200m from his house) was visited. I left it running as the battery was flat. I had the Locosts battery with me but thought I'd see how I got on with the one in it.

Yes, it's a Clio OneHundredAndEightyTwo. Good guess Cort!

post-7629-0-38415000-1477684483_thumb.jpg

Bonus squashed beetle shot, my girlfriends lovely* TT transported us there

I got some bald bloke to fill it up for me, I'm far more attractive than that.

So, off straight onto the A1 in a car that hadn't moved since June, with a shonky battery, possible starting issue and unknown electrical maladies. Oh and no MOT(but it is booked in for one)

I took it easy for the first 20 miles or so. Every application of the brakes had clouds of dust appearing in the headlights of my girlfriends car behind me. The initial throttle response was a bit lumpy, I couldn't get the cruise control to work and the thermostat is goosed as it's not heating up.

To reinforce the Frenchness of it every now and again every warning light on the dash would come on. Luckily the engine kept running fine, especially as it did it on the approach to the Forth Road Bridge...

Back home safe, switched it off after an hours driving and the starter just clicked. Stuck the Locost battery on and it fired up first time. Have put the Clios battery on a battery conditioner but I suspect it's gubbed. The owner was told by a garage it needed a starter. I suspect battery and possible ropey earths, we shall see

So, about this latest purchase.

The folk I've bought it from have had it for 12 years and it has a full service history. it was his wifes car but he used to enjoy it when he could..

It's standard apart from a stainless exhaust fitted because the guy couldn't get a hold of a standard 182 exhaust for sensible money.

It is due a service now and also the dreaded timing belt and dephaser pulley.

Other issues

Random starting issue

Thermostat shot

Front LHS shock goosed.

Rust bubbles on rear arches

The brakes seem to work, will strip them down and clean them up before the MOT though.

Rear exhaust hangers are shot-I have Powerflex ones for a Chevette which apparently can be made to fit...

MOT booked for Tuesday, then once it's got one it's getting the belts done. I am aware how much of an arse of a job this is...

Then? Drive it. I love a good hot hatch and these are supposed to be one of the best. 

Resting at home

post-7629-0-65687500-1477684486_thumb.jpg

And here's the pics from the ad. They do flatter it a bit, I think. I've yet to see it in daylight....

post-7629-0-75844600-1477683603_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-27555300-1477683604_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-73346200-1477683604_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-24641800-1477683605_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-75903300-1477683605_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-27118300-1477683606_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-78874900-1477683606_thumb.jpg

Good stuff, it'll still be fresh in your mind for helping me do this one then :P

OK, if you insist.

1. Gather up all you tools and throw them away as none will fit. Buy 1 large bottle of Scotch. Drink said bottle of Scotch. Dislocate both your elbows.

2. remove the rear wiper

3. Give your contact phone number and next of kin details to the fire brigade

4. Open the bonnet

Part 2 to follow.

And so it begins.

The plan for today was to check it out for its MOT on Tuesday.

Brakes were the first thing to check as the felt shit last night.

All the pads were getting low, although I didn't realise how little meat the rears had on them from new.

Front discs were within tolerance, just. A 30% discount weekend at Eurocarparts and everything being in stock at my local branch sealed the deal-front discs and pads and rear pads.

The rear discs are bloody expensive and mine are still just about withing tolerance so I'll see how it goes on Tuesday-ECP didn't have them anyway so that made that decision easy.

Up she goes.

post-7629-0-56773500-1477765847_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-44100800-1477765850_thumb.jpg

One front slider was seized and 2 on one of the rears also A bit of brute force and gentle persuasuion and everything was working again. Sadly I can't really drive it to test them as no MOT but it feels a lot better moving it up and down the driveway.

I even gave them a quick wire brush and slapped some paint on them to freshen them up a bit. Black, sadly for those expecting RED CALAIPRZ FOR 20% ACROS THE REV RANGE

I forgot to take pics of them painted but picture this, but black

post-7629-0-23737100-1477765844_thumb.jpg

I then moved onto the thermostat, dead easy to get to once you remove the airbox, the old one was stuck open so that should be a no brainer, Again, it'll be when I take it a proper drive that I see if it's fixed or not. The alloy under the bonnet isn't too clever, I'll try and tart it up a bit at some point.

post-7629-0-39234200-1477765853_thumb.jpg

I had a look at the earths on this-one wire which goes down to the chassis from the battery which is pretty corroded and any attempts to undo it were flexing the body round it. I'll look into a way of improving that.

Had a quick go at cleaning up the headlights, they came up a bit better, should be fine for the MOT

post-7629-0-81061600-1477765858_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-73326900-1477765860_thumb.jpg

Roll on Tuesday. Hopefully the back brakes will clean up. I may have be a bit enthusiastic on the way to the MOT station...