Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

So, with the VVTi solenoid unplugged the noise is still there but the characteristics changed.

Kind of hard to explain but it makes the noise at a different point in the rev range with it unplugged. So, VVTi solenoid is coming out along with a mesh filter which is located near it, I'm tempted to pull the cam cover off too for a nosey. The history is patchy so god knows when it last had an oil change, I picked up a filter today too.

Sadly I'm away with work this weekend so won't get to see it in daylight for nearly 2 weeks.

Kicked it's arse a wee bit tonight on the way home, the engine feels pretty healthy. Tyre pressures are all over the place and the roads are damp so I didn't get too exuberant though...

WBOD...

attachicon.gifIMG_20171106_075019735.jpg

Makes a change from the Locost, at least this has a heater. And a roof. Note a bad commute despite it being sub zero out...

I was about to mention that I hoped you’d let the cabin heat the roof up a bit, prior to dropping it, as it can screw the canvas. Then I remembered that it’s clearly not an issue!! Great to see someone else enjoying a Roadster - they can become quite addictive.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot to report on this front, I was away with work at the weekend so haven't had a chance to do much. 

The first parts purchase arrived:

post-7629-0-99007000-1510781559_thumb.jpg

A timing chain tensioner and cam cover gasket-the tensioner is a possible issue and the cam cover gasket for when I pull it off for a nosey-the current one leaks

I nipped out on my lunchbreak and changed the tensioner but this made no difference-still rattling.

Today my mate brought around this

post-7629-0-98853400-1510781578_thumb.jpg

We took turns to listen to the engine while the other one made it make the noise-most noticeable on the way up and down the rev range at around 2500-3000RPM.

After much revving, no doubt pissing off my neighbours, we came to the following conclusion.

It rattles.

The precise location of said rattle still eludes us however.

A list has been compiled. We intend to spend anything up to £20 on fixing this engine before we give up on it and fit a fast one. £20 being the price of a new set of big end bearings. 

post-7629-0-61839200-1510781594_thumb.jpg

its definetly bottom end and not a sticky tappet?

Nah, we're not sure. I thought it was coming from the timing chain end but the stethoscope didn't bear this out 100% More investigations will follow

Could the camshaft phase varying thing / VVT gadget be the rattle? It looks like the sort of thing that could rattle in that sort of non- descript way.

Quite possible but I'm not sure how to test it.

So the VVTeyes have a solenoid? Mine sounds sweet, but it's never gone wild at higher revs...

Aye, the solenoid allows oil to flow into the VVTi pulley-the oil locks the pulley into a different position varying the timing. These can fail, they also have a filter I can clean out

Had a day off today so managed to get some car work done.

First up, the S4. A rattle over bumps sounded an awful lot like drop links. I bought a set, er, several months ago but had never got round to fitting them. Job done, first rattle gone I then turned my attention to the MR2.

I stuck the back end up on a set of ramps with the intention being to check the heat shields on the cat and have a listen to the bottom end using our stethocscope.

A mate arrived and I got the MR2 to play it's tune whilst we took turns again to listen. Again, nothing conclusive. 

Once under there the sump is just winking at you. Access is great. A plan was formed. Oil was dropped, lunch was eaten (square sausage, of course) and suitably fortified we set out. 

Very shortly afterwards the sump was off and numbers 1 and 4 big end bearings were available for perusal. Both had some play in them before unbolting them which indicated we were on the right track.

Number 4 looks a bit worn but not too bad.

post-7629-0-37848700-1510941582_thumb.jpg

Number 1 however...

post-7629-0-63897000-1510941620_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-89466000-1510941603_thumb.jpg

S'fucked mate.

You'll note how we go for F1 levels of workplace cleanliness here at Cowboy Motorsport.

post-7629-0-20031500-1510941639_thumb.jpg

The crank seems OK. I'll inspect it properly and will maybe CAREFULLY smooth it over with emery paper.

Likewise the sump contained no nastiness and the oil whilst black looked OK.

I phoned my trusted engine rebuilders and have a set of bearings lined up for £40, these are half the price Toyota quoted but twice the price of ebay cheapies-the guy double checked the code against the one I gave him from the old ones so they are correct and we should have them Monday or Tuesday. They are also a decent quality bearing.

So, plan is.

Check/clean crank.

Fit new bearings.

New Oil filter

Refit sump

Fill with oil.

GLF (a bit)

Then all being well give it another oil change in a couple of hundred miles.

GLF (some more)

There's a good chance the mains are just as bad, is it worth changing the halves you can get at?

Can you feel anything other than silky smoothness over the crank journals with a finger nail?

Those bearings look wierd too - like they have eroded rather than worn.

This may be a long shot but at the end of the day the 140bhp engines in these are, as we say in the old country, fucking shit.

If this doesn't cure it and get us on the track then it'll get thrown in a skip and the 190bhp engine from a Corolla will get put in!

Reminds me of the 200sx boys dropping the sumps on their 1800 Turbos to do a quick swap of the bearings. That’d be the CA18DET in the s13, obvs.

Funny you should say that, the last time I did this was on the 200sx belonging to my mate who helped me on Friday!

Got a phone call this morning from my tame engineering place (Engine Services in Musselburgh)

"That's your bearings here. I'm out your way this afternoon so can deliver them" No charge. Sweet!

post-7629-0-99568300-1511189821_thumb.jpg

A large packet of jaffa cakes was his reward. 

Now, to get time to fit the damn things!

So, you knew I couldn't resist getting in about this didn't you?

I came home and set up my workspace...

post-7629-0-95022000-1511218195_thumb.jpg

New shells were fitted and bolted up. It was tricky getting the shells to fit onto the conrod and took a bit of practice to get the knack. I had them off and on a couple of times making sure they were lined up before I was happy. 

I also struggled to get them torqued up as I had to use a 3/8 12 sided 10mm socket on the bolts but my torque wrench is a 1/2 drive and I've broken my reducer. Some ingenuity was required but using my drain plug sockets I manged to get an adaptor made up and torqued them up. 20nm + 90 degress.

On and tight

post-7629-0-16073600-1511218223_thumb.jpg

While I was doing this my mate was scraping the sealant off the sump. Closer inspection revealed the sump was a bit manky so a slightly extreme solution was sought-hose!

It's a good job we did as aswell as bits of sealant which had fell in to the sump there was some gunk in the bottom aswell as what looked like bits of big end  :shock:

With a good blast and dry out it looked like this

post-7629-0-41044600-1511218256_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-16924200-1511218274_thumb.jpg

These things don't use a sump gasket so I'd ordered some sealant along with the rings, this was applied and tightened up  evenly. 

A new oil filter had been fitted and some oil was duly added. i unplugged the coils and turned it over to build up some pressure. 

Then, plugged the coils in and:

It's sounding about a million times better  :-D  :-D

We left it idling for a while with no worrying noises which was good.

A test drive was required and as I hadn't had my dinner, sustenance was sought out.

To the kebab shop!

A succesful mission ensued, taking it easy but the noise has defintely gone.

A definite improvement. I can now hear the other noises he car makes as I drive along.

Plan is to take it to work tomorrow, I can then check levels and things in the daylight.

Fingers crossed!

Execellent! Do you need to put any special lube on the bearings when they’re new ?

Err, I hope not cos they got nothing...

Excellent work ! Did you do any ghetto polishing of the crank journals in the end ?

Nah, crank was fine and only 1 big end was really bad. 1 other had some play and the other two were OK.

I've one of those things in my back yard at the moment, I took the bonnet / bootlid off to paint up some severe lacquer peel on its outer ends, only when I glanced back at the car to stick a tarp over, it looked like it still had a bonnet fitted. That's one shallow-ass trunk. It occurred to me that in order to successfully transport a swiss roll securely and away from prying eyes it would need to be first unravelled, and laid out in the luggage compartment with the ends weighted down to allow the lid to close.

Is there an oil cooler? Cars with their engines in the arse end do seem to toast the oil.