Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

get yourself on the reserve list for next weekend ?

http://trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9310

there will be at least three AS cars on track, plenty of passenger laps to be had, maybe even a cheeky wee shot behind the wheel if you promise to be good :)

You need a couple of drivers per car to justify the cost that’s quite a lot of money. The last time we went we got 1 trip out each and they cancelled because of fog with no refund. I don’t think my mate who drove the panda will

Be back especially in something rwd with double the power.

Good to set deadlines then have the real deadline in your head (3 months later)

the trackscotland events are open pit so you can do as many laps as you like within the four hour period - between me and a co-driver, we usually rack up a three figure number of laps, without wrecking the car and with plenty of breaks :)

uses stacks of fuel though - last time was a full tank and most of a 20l jerry can, in a little 1.8 mazda

A small but worthwhile bit of work happened today. I decided we should at least have a pleasant view whilst diagnosing the various reasons why it's not running properly

Some high temp paint was purchased and Duncan cleaned, sanded down and painted the cam cover.

8a575a38a6b813dedbdd74ddf7b74ba1.jpgcc3e948b0d06662d23a27bd3bd38bbdd.jpg9ea1a4621f3c569421fd855ac6d31259.jpgc3fa319d564a07e31b7fafff0ac60c31.jpg6f70c84a573a65a5b9eadb2941d9878d.jpg

Lovely

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think once I get GX02 fettled - it'll have to visit and take on the mighty red...…. would be a decent weekend run and hopefully some track tom-foolery can be included. I think I've sourced the supercharger……… keep you posted.

Good luck with the swap. You sure on fabricating a new exhaust? Not possible to get anything remotely off the shelf and 'modify'?

What's het exhaust port spacing like?

Spyder custom 4-2-1 not fit or workable?

4.2-1 for the original donor not possible to 'fettle'?

When I say fabricate the exhaust the manifold needs modified to clear the cross member, then it's a case of replicating the original MR2 system but with a bit more flow. Rally design and the like will sell you diy exhaust sections for Motorsports use so it's like a big Lego kit. I made an (admittedly much simpler) exhaust for the Locost so it's not too bad.

I'll look forward to getting my ass whipped by our old car. Safe to say we hadn't got to the limits of the black car with 140bhp, 190bhp is going to mean we enter the gravel traps a damn site quicker...

I got a bit done today-sealed up the gear linkage and torqued all the bolts up. I also managed to find something the right shape to fill the hole we'd made in the gearbox.

b56ec512f239fb8a3345892bf4448ec6.jpg

Chemical metal holding it on there and jobs a goodun.

I'm almost ready to swap the loom off the 1zz engine onto the 2zz. Then add wires for the lift solenoid to the ECU and repin a few pins. Sounds easy eh?

That's a job for next week, I'm away for the weekend.

Small update on the fleet.

A2-Is randomly working even better since the scare in the really cold weather-it seems bleeding it up again has helped whatever was causing problems. I do get ABS warning occasionally so I suspect a wheel sensor-I'll read the codes off it if I can be arsed. I also purchased a pair of correctly sized tyres to replace the Chinese death rings on the front-needless to say these haven't been fitted yet.

It may be up for sale soon. As good a car as it actually is I've yet to bond with it, although it is brilliant for carting stuff about with the low floor and removable rear seats. Fuel economy hasn't dropped below 52mpg even though it mostly does short journeys. I still want a Grand Cherokee!

S4 Some knuckle dragging waste of fucking carbon reversed into it while I was in Pitlochry at the weekend. On my fucking birthday too!. They hit it hard enough to move the wing/bumper and headlight as well as scratch the bumper. Of course they fucked off without leaving a note and there was no CCTV in the area. Cunts. Hope their next shites a hedgehog (not you Dave)

post-7629-0-15942300-1551357333_thumb.jpg

On Sunday when I was home I decided to give it some love. I had oil and filter there for it

Look away Junkman

9.5 litres later and it was changed.

Look back Junkman.

Opie managed to send me the wrong air filter though, I'm still waiting for the right one to arrive.

post-7629-0-84207800-1551357350_thumb.jpg

I've managed to straighten out the front end, I still need to try polishing the bumper to get the scratches out. Hopefully I can make it better.

I then turned my attention to the long running saga of fitting cruise control. It's only taken me about 2 years to get the parts I need (because tight) I eventually got the correct stalk, steering wheel module and cowling to fit it.

I did this on Sunday with a view to getting it coded in when I got a chance. However, I didn't realise that I would get DANGER DANGER warning lights on the dash- ABS, TCS and BREMSE in massive RED letters.

Turns out because I'd changed the module I had to get it coded to the car.

Did I mention the MOT was due this week? Fucksticks.

Fortunately I'd found a very nice chap on an A4 facebook page who was fairly local and offered to code it all in. 

An hour or so last night and he had the warnings off and the cruise functioning perfectly . I could then waft to Scotoshite in comfort and not trouble my right foot.

And today I got this result

post-7629-0-28646400-1551357172_thumb.jpg

Thank fuck!

I noticed the brakes were getting worn when I was under it in the Autumn but they were still within spec thickness wise, I'll get them changed at some point.

MR2 2zz swap

Next job is swap wiring over from the 1zz to this one. For this we need the alternator fitted and before this we need to fit the dipstick. As I'd managed to bend the original dipstick tube hauling the 1zz out of the car so the lovely Mr Tickman stepped up and supplied one from his breaker which I collected last night.

Meanwhile, we refitted the shiny cam cover.

post-7629-0-40268400-1551357672_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-63876800-1551357682_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-42662000-1551357692_thumb.jpg

Looking good!

We're nearly at the stage where we can think about fitting the engine, the next hurdle is adding the wire to the loom/ecu for the Lift mechanism and a few changes that need to be made to make the 1zz work in the 2zz.

A2-Is randomly working even better since the scare in the really cold weather-it seems bleeding it up again has helped whatever was causing problems. I do get ABS warning occasionally so I suspect a wheel sensor-I'll read the codes off it if I can be arse. I also purchased a pair of correctly sized tyres to replace the chinese death rings on the front-needless to say these haven't been fitted yet.

It may be up for sale soon. As good a car as it actually is I've yet to bond with it, although it is brilliant for carting stuff about with the low floor and removable rear seats. Fuel economy hasn't dropped below 52mpg even though it mostly does short journeys.

I had these from time to time but it appeared to be a bit of dodgy wiring in the loom to the from passenger side wheel - during heavy rain or if the coolant reservoir overflowed, the loom would get wet and the abs would get stroppy - its the same section of wiring with the brake pad warning loom that is all taped up, directly under the coolant tank.

Wiring time. We need to add 3 wires to the MR2 loom, these are the ones for the GLF bits-the lift solenoid which activates the fun cam profile. This was a lot easier when I found the box where I'd hidden the wires...

2cc3ad87c992df349b232450578769da.jpg

Connector added

57ae39a9a379a631120d203beb4ffcd6.jpg

As usual the guides are a touch haphazard, it refers to the wrong connector amongst other things.

I also had to swap lambda wiring-the MR2 had 3 lambdas but the 2zz only has 2.

This done I fitted new plugs and cleaned out the filter for the variable valve timing which hides behind the alternator.

I could then fit the alternator and a new belt-we had to get a shorter one as the MR2 doesn't have Aircon. Because racecar

So, as you may have seen in the News 24 thread, Duncan and I attempted to buy another Corolla T-Sport the other night but the owner was a total dick so we've sacked that off.

Last night I went to look at another project because with the MR2 and Locost still in bits that's exactly what I need isn't it?

It managed to be both better and worse than expected. Owner was a character though and he offered to deliver it for free tonight so a deal has been struck.  

Stay tuned!

So, after the collosal fucknugget with the broken Corolla T-Sport we found for sale the other night (see my post in the News24 thread) my desire for some new shite was strong. 

One of my saved searches in Gumtree is "spares or repair" I perused for some time and the other day a suitable moneypit hove into view.

I contacted the owner and was pleasantly surprised by their ability to communicate, however it was divulged that someone had beat me to it and had already negotiated a healthy discount.

I duly left it and carried on, until a message popped up. The supposed buyer had failed to turn up so if I was interested it could be mine.

I headed an hour north of Dunfermline last night for a perusal.

The car managed to be both better and worse than expected. 

The seller was old money and regaled me with tales of breaking his neck 3 times(so far), having to give up his Aston DB6 and 246 Dino when he left his wife. 

He also used to own a TVR Chimaera and my purchase was to make way for his 4.7 V8 Grand Cherokee on LPG so rapidly went up in my estimations.

Naturally being in Scotland a Volvo was parked alongside the object of my desire.

The beast in question was pretty solid although it has definitely been used as intended and will benefit  from some care and attention.