Despite a fearsome hangover today some progress has been made.
First mission-inlet manifold gasket
Engine bay seems relatively unmessed with.
Manifold came off pretty easily.
Old vs new gaskets-the old one was, to use a technical term, pumped
Cleaned up the manifold
and fitted the new gasket
Back together and bled it up-however the thermostat seemed suspect. At this point the hangover was in full swing so I stopped taking photos and started concentrating on more important things like staying upright. Thermostat was removed-it has the later thermostat at the front of the engine bay which is a good thing. The spring clips on the hoses were a complete arse to get to.
Removed it and tested it-not opening. Arses. Luckily Eurocarparts near me had one in stock so I went and got a new one. Also popped into a srcappy and got a few other bits-new aerial to replace the broken one, new rear wiper to replace the broken one(there's a pattern here...) a set of genuine Land Rover rubber mats too-all for Â£9.60! The on to Halfords for some wiper blades(pound shop didn't have them and my trade card saved me a bit). Big spender.
Fitted the new thermostat and other gubbins but still struggled to get it to bleed or the radiator warm all the way through.
After a fair bit of fucking about including taking it for a drive I eventually got it to work and the fan was kicking in as it should. The coolant hoses are getting a bit hard though, although the expansion bottle was overfilled which may have contributed. I'll need to keep an eye on it.
I'm not convinced that I've got it in time to avoid OMGHGF yet but as it stands I'm still under Â£100 all in so if it needs the gasket done it'll get it.
Have some pics. It's only had a quick clean, it really needs a good clay/polish but it's not too bad an example.