Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Report from the front:

Other pipe fitted and one rear caliper (the newer one) bled up fine.

The other side has a very old caliper so after soaking the bleed nipple and heating the bleed nipple I've left the bleed nipple soaking overnight and will try again tomorrow. i REALLY don't want another sheared fucking bleed nipple. I'm going to try the drill bit down the centre, am open to other bleed nipple removal tips...

Time for curry,

Well shaft me with a rough end of a pineapple if I've not actually had a bit of luck with this thing!

Soaked it overnight, soaked it again on the way to the shop for skwerr sossige this morning and after breakfast gave it a couple more heat cycles with the blowtorch/spraying penetrant on it and it only fucking unscrewed!

post-7629-0-65726600-1502533416_thumb.jpg

New nipple in and ready for bleeding. Will get it bled when I have my tame assistant handy. I'm off to celebrate by drinking in Edinburgh.

• 2 months later...

Well, this didn't go so well.

It got to the stage where it actually drove OK. My mate was a bit hesitant about tracking it til he'd got a feel for it so he's had it for the last month or so. 

He's struggled to get confidence in it and I can see where he's coming from. The steering is quick and it's very pointy, however the back end can be a bit wayward when pushing on. It really needs shocks and springs all round to make it actually handle. Track day dates came and went without us booking anything and it was lack of enthusiasm on both sides-I'd rather be doing sprints or hillclimbs and my mate didn't have the confidence in it.

Today it went for it's MOT...

Reason(s) for failure
  • Nearside Outer Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
  • Offside Outer Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
  • Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
  • Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
  • Offside Inner Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a)
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

So, we could weld it up, fix the handbrake and the CV boot and then still have something neither of us particularly want.

It looks like it's bridge time once we've stripped the parts worth money (wheels/tyres, stainless exhaust, 2 new front calipers) unless anyone wants it as it is?

Good Points

Healthy 2.5V6 duratec

It actually drives pretty well on the road for normal driving

New calipers and pads on front.

New brake lines front to rear.

17" multifit 4 stud alloys with pretty new Toyo T1Rs

Cat back stainless Exhaust and induction kit(sounds ace!)

Bad points.(apart from the obvious MOT fail)

No interior

ABS doesn't work

It's a bit shite.

Open to offers!

You sold something on gumtree?? I have a phone on Gumtree. So far i have been offered next to nothing for it & a deep fat fryer. Give me tips on how to sell for actual money please.

What he said.

I'm amazed you haven't been inundated with braindead cunts offering you less than half the asking price "collect 2nite m8"

I thought it was just internet legend until recently, but I've experienced exactly that a few times recently.

How the hell do you do it? I think we all need to know!

Buys nice Audi from reasonable person... swaps Freeloader for Jag...offloads shit Cougar...

...oh aye, what's your secret? ;-)

We'll, it's not sold til it's sold...

And I've had enough hassle from dodgy buyers over the years to deserve a few breaks.

There was this guy I sold a Lexus to, jeez!

So, with a lucky escape selling the Cougar it's time to regroup. 

The idea-to be able to do some track days, maybe sprints and autotests. For me it's to get used to track driving before taking the Locost on, for my mate it's just for the hell of it. 

OK, it's for the hell of it for me too.

Moog and GM of this parish were kind enough to give me some passenger laps round Knockhill last Saturday. I came away from this impressed by their cars (Puma and MX-5)-small, pointy and composed. Both good out of the box with minimal mods needed. 

I was even more impressed by how well the cars handled a track day-80-100 laps of flat out driving with no issues. Kudos to both drivers for preparation, and for their talents too. I wasn't worried at all sitting beside either.  

We've hopefully learned* from the Cougar-it was too big and needed suspension desperately to be even vaguely capable of going round the track.

Another Clio 172/182 was the initial weapon of choice. But the MX-5 made me remember that, for me at least, RWD>FWD

After work tonight a viewing has been arranged. More to follow.