Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

• 3 weeks later...
Not a lot has been happening, the fleet have been mostly usable and it's been too hot for lying under cars. Also a small puppy has eaten into my spare time (and my shoes) somewhat. 

MR2-survived it's first track day although the power steering leak has returned from the Pirtek hose union. I'm going to remove it and inspect it, if it looks OK I'll stick it back together with some PTFE tape and see if that seals it, unless anyone has any better ideas?

The MR2 has been getting used a lot recently due to it's lack of roof-it's a very pleasant thing to blat about in while the weather is good. No roof does show some scuttle shake so we have a chassis brace lined up which should stiffen things up nicely

The Civic has been forgotten abut mainly: I've sanded down the rust spots on the roof and treated them with Bilt Hamber stuff I had lying around. 

I need to remove the aerial from the roof and fit the wrap, then sell the thing. Anyone want to buy the cheapest Type R in the country with a new timing chain? Don't all queue at once...

The Audi is still going well. I do still have a pile of parts to fit to it but they require moving the LPG gubbins under the bonnet to fit and this gives me a dose of TEH FEAR. I should probably do this while I have the Civic to cart bikes around in, we'll see though. 

Took the power steering union off the MR2 tonight, it looks like the o ring on the new union hadn't sealed properly due to corrosion where it goes into the rack. Filed it down, fitted a new o ring and tried again. Will report back

I also prepped the roof of the civic for its wrap. Removed the aerial, smoothed down the rust treated bits, cleaned it up and cut the wrap to size.

You're really making this car very appealing.

Could only be improved by putting a set of slightly smaller wheels on it with good tyres and I'll be crying myself to sleep for not being able to buy it.

I don't know if smaller wheels would fit, the front discs are huge. There's a boy local selling a set of wheels with matching tyres, might get them then get her advertised.

I thought that with the spec B, and it is close on the 17s I've fitted.

Some 14s recently went on my engine donor 206gti, and although they went on fine, they took the balancing weights off when it was moved..  

I thought fitting smaller than OEM wheels was a thing for the type-r boys?

If that's the case it might be worth flogging it as it is. A new set of wheels will make a big difference though.

I did the final touch on the roof today-the painted section on top of the tailgate looked odd with the rest of the roof being wrapped. This was pretty easy. 

Have a less tactical picture of the roof, warts and all.

post-7629-0-58410900-1531677332_thumb.jpg

The last thing I wrapped was the Locost dash, that was easy being a flat bit of wood as opposed to a roof with curves on it... There's a couple of bits where I fucked up so it's far from perfect. It's in keeping with the rest of the car though...

It owes me about £1400 as it sits which is cheap for one of these, especially with the chain done. It'll be going up for £2k when it looks presentable. It's far from mint but it's pretty sorted(or will be) and would make an ideal base for a track car.

That is very reasonable.  Looks a lovely thing. 

Cheap Type R? Got this Corolla 2ZZ sat here. Motor would fit in your MR2 a treat ;)

Highly under-estimated smile mobile these.  I used to love mine.

Highly under-estimated smile mobile these.  I used to love mine.

I sold it a couple of weeks ago to a fella in norn iron. He's using the 2ZZ in an MR2 Roadster, and has built a few.

I quite liked the thing, and prefer its understated looks to the equivalent Civic Type R. Just a shame that the sixth gear wasn't higher geared for bearable motorway/dual carriageway driving.

I sold it a couple of weeks ago to a fella in norn iron. He's using the 2ZZ in an MR2 Roadster, and has built a few.

He sounds Like a man I need to know...

I think the next purchase after the Civic has gone will be a Celica/Corrola to rob the engine out of for the MR2. I'd ideally like to have the engine and box built up and ready to fit before I drop the MR2s engine, we'll see if that's feasible.

After months of searching I found a new set of alloys for sale-200 yards from my house! They are off an Accord Type R but fit perfectly, have good tyres in the right size (2 Toyos, 2 Bridgestones) and the price was right. I'd have preferred a set of EP3 alloys but finding a decent set for the right money was proving a pain.

Quick wash and down to my photo spot for some pics. The sort of pics one might use in an advert perchance.

post-7629-0-43454200-1531777064_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-70884300-1531777080_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-82339500-1531777164_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-15594000-1531778229_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-66790800-1531778234_thumb.jpg