New Autoshiter!

Timewaster

Hello!I finally made it onto the board! :DBeen noseying around here for a while now.I'm currently without shite in my life, but I'm sure it wont be for long. I need one cos my "daily driver" is a so called classic, that can just about do 20 mpg if I drive like Miss Daisy, and will bankrupt me if (when) it goes wrong."tontops" basically means I'm too tight to spend more than £100 on an old shitter.My speciality is buying cars that last less than a week! :roll: I shall be posting on a topic near you, soon.Phil.

Hello Phil,You'll fit in very well.What was your shortest-lived automotive purchase?Strangely, I've often found that my sub-ton purchases last as long if not longer than some of my more extravagant purchases.5 years apiece for sub-£100 Renault 10 and Toyota Crown vs. just 2 years for a £300(!) 505 GTI Family.Okay, so extravagance is another of those relative things. :roll: 300 schmackers is a lot to me.

Welcome, what's your 'classic' and what have you had in the past?

I usually have a decent car, and a shite one!The "classic" is a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth I've had about 4 years.Alongside this the shite has been:£75 Peugeot 106£50 Rover 100 Diseasel£100 Sierra 1.8 CVH - lasted 1 day!£100 Rover 620 Turbot - lasted 3 days!We shall see what comes my way next.....Oh, forgot the '68 mini I couldnt be arsed to finish, so sold it for peanuts about a week before the prices went nuts! :roll:

Welcome Phil.Saff Cossies are getting rare these days. Always liked 'em, particularly the late 4x4s. Mmm.It is surprising what you can get for around a ton or less these days, although as I guess your sig alludes to, more difficult now with scrap prices!What was the story behind the 620ti? Real street-sleepers, those.

Strangely, I've often found that my sub-ton purchases last as long if not longer than some of my more extravagant purchases.

Aye, my little hundred quid Mazda has survived five months of merciless thrashing at my hands and has yet to put a foot wrong. £100 is more than enough to spend on a car.

What was the story behind the 620ti? Real street-sleepers, those.

Ah, yes. That was a good one!It was my mates girlfriend's, and had sat outside his house after she got a newish astra.There were several attempts to flog it to me for far too much money, untill the tax was in its last few days.I made a cheeky punt at £100 and to my supprise it became mine!Mot was nice and easy, just a number plate, couple of bulbs and a cv boot.So that was me, on the road in my latest shite. First night I was enjoying a night of sobriety, so offered another mate a lift home in the rain. About 9 miles on muddy, twisty fen roads - scariest drive of my life!The bloody thing was all over the place - torque steer, understeer oversteer. Virtually undriveable.The next morning, I glanced at the front o/s tyre. Looked a bit flat so Thought I'd dust off the old pressure guage and check it out.O/S 20psi. Hmmmmm, *thinks* thats probably not helping much, try the other side.52 psi!! :shock: No wonder I could hardly drive the bloody thing in the wet!All was well for the next day or two, untill I decided to fill my shite car with shite to take to the local tip on a sunday afternoon. There was a bit of a que, and while I sat there it got hotter and hotter, then the oil light started to flash on and off, and well... that was pretty much the end of that!A head set costs as much as the car, plus it looked like hard work, so on Ebay it went.Two seperate time wasting, non paying, non collecting dreamers offered £!50. :roll: Eventually a guy I used to work with gave me £25 so his mate could fix and track day it. I bet it never turns a wheel again! :cry: