More cars look set to hit the auctions

Father Ted

Most will be on manufacturer buy back so would have gone to auction at the end of their term anyway, that or will go into main dealer 'approved used' schemes. I would be VERY surprised if they actually own much of the fleet.TBH not a big surprise that they have gone bust, the whole car rental industry is battering itself to death at the moment by constantly reducing prices to try and drive the weaker players out of business.BBC News is sadly a bit wrong as well :shock::wink: Most of 1car1 staff are finishing today and a lot of their business is already going elsewhere so the possibility of any future seems bleak which is sad for those involved.

This is my game (weirdly nothing to do with my nickname though :roll::shock: ), we have had lots of redundancies already with hopefully not many more. Hertz and Avis are on their arses apparently, we are not so bad but that maybe spiel who knows. We (Europcar/National) are struggling to get cars at the moment as well, probably because the great buy back deals are now long gone.

We are running stuff over a year old now, we actually still have a few 07 plate cars kicking around which is unusual for a rental fleet. Did have a few 04 plate Transits on fleet as well which were well and truly fucked after almost five years as rental vans...

I work for TLS every now & then,last time I was there(about a month ago)the yard was overflowing with vehicles due to the amount being rented out falling.They were clearing some of their old vehicles out too,they'd done a deal to sell 9 Transits which had been sitting around for ages,the Tax on some of them had run out in 2007 :o

I was in car rental with an agent for Europcar from the early 1980's to the late 1990's. Even in those days they were getting through nearly 30,000 vehicles a year. From what I've seen at our local 1car1 branch, their fleet is exclusively Vauxhall, so this could be another problem for GM, with this quantity of late used cars coming onto the market in one go, residual values could drop.With regard to Europcar/National struggling to get vehicles, this could be an ideal oppurtunity, if they have the funding. Back in 1997 they did buy a 1000 Vectra 1.6's (alot of them in the P---ONK registration range) from Alamo and kept them upto 30000 miles, and yes they were a little rough around the edges. They had a similar mileage extension on Granada 2.8's in 1984/1985 upto 45,000 miles.

I used to work next door to Europcar's head office in the eighties, I worked for Godfrey Davis Contract Hire and I think they were known as Godfrey Davis Europcar back then. I think Renault bought them out shortly afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

I was down at Manheim in Colchester today and there were a few 07,57,08 and 58 plate Vauxhalls there, some of them had 1Car1.com stickers on their tailgates.@ carlo, that was Tryford house, which always seemed to look out of place next to the olde world Bushey house. I can still remember the phone number 01 950 5050. It also brings back memories of orange uniforms.

I work for TLS every now & then,last time I was there(about a month ago)the yard was overflowing with vehicles due to the amount being rented out falling.They were clearing some of their old vehicles out too,they'd done a deal to sell 9 Transits which had been sitting around for ages,the Tax on some of them had run out in 2007 :o

TLS will be fine as long as GE dont sell them to buy more munitions companies. They have enough punch to ride the storm and enough weapons to scare the shit out of anyone who says otherwise.