Smiley Transit for sale - £300

wuvvum

Being the indecisive twat that I am, I still can't reach a decision as to which Transit I'd rather keep.  So I've decided on the ingenious* approach of putting them both up for sale, then keeping the one that doesn't sell first, if that makes any sense.

This is a P-reg 2.5 DI 120 SWB.  At a guess and going by the colour I'd say it used to be a BT van.  It has the non-banana 70PS engine, and it's pretty basic, with PAS being the only "luxury".

I'll start with the good bits first, of which there are in fact several.

-Engine seems like a good 'un.  It starts first time every time, even when the battery's getting a bit low.  It pulls well considering its lowly spec (it's noticeably quicker than the Scudo, which had only two horsepower less in a much lighter van).  Gearbox and clutch are also in good working order.

-It had new front brake discs and a new rear exhaust section for its last MOT.

-Electrics all seem to work, and the heater fan even works on all its speeds - quite unusual for one of these.  Heater is pretty good too.

-It has a full steel bulkhead.

-It has a flashy orange light on the roof, which works.

-It's actually a pretty solid van where it matters.

Bad bits:

-The van is cosmetically tatty as feck.  It's had various repairs, involving aesthetically challenged welding, filler in non-structural bits, and even a small pop-rivetted plate on one of the front wings.  The offside rear arch is quite bad and needed gaffer taping for the MOT.

-The two nearside tyres are not brilliant.  In fact the front one is shagged.  The spare is basically a slick.  I've ordered a new tyre off eBay to go on the front - the back one is better, if somewhat scrubbed on the outer edge.

-It has a slight leak from the water pump.  I've done about 200 miles in it now and it's used under 2 pints of water, so it's not massive, but it's there.  A new water pump is only about 25 quid and not a particularly awkward job to do, but water is cheaper and easier still, so I haven't bothered.

-The door locks are a pain in the arse.  They lock fine, as Ford locks always do - it's getting them unlocked again that is the problem.  It took me 20 minutes of fiddling to get the back doors to unlock on the key.  I gave up in the end - I just don't bother locking the cab doors (nothing in there to nick anyway), and I've put a bolt and padlock on the back, and locked the side loading door from the inside.

-There's no radio, just the music of the DI to keep you company.

-The driver's seat has the usual side bolster wear.  The seats have covers over them.

That's everything that springs to mind.  The van has about 105K on the clock, and is MOT'd until February next year.  Location is NE Norfolk, as always.

Pictures:

post-190-0-54735100-1463252819_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-90124300-1463252839_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-68590300-1463252767_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-06308000-1463252784_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-14344300-1463252801_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-68562800-1463252856_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-65820200-1463252877_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-08036700-1463252898_thumb.jpg

I like that too, but also skint. 

However, in a sudden change of direction for one of these "Iwould if..." posts...: I have two wheels for one of these sitting around at work, one with a tyre that could be used immediately, both holding air.  To any Shiter who can use them, they are FREE.  All you have to do is collect.

How can any van with power steering be described as pretty basic? That's like calling a bird with DD norks plain. Wish I had room, all Transits are highly worthy, if they work they're a tool, if not they're a storage unit. I'd love to see that with the lasercut vinyl signwriting. DROIVEWAYS & ARSBESTOES REMOVAL, special rates for old uns, we'll even droive you to the bank so we will.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just 'window shopping' this thread in the hope you find a motor for sale in the North West and drive the van up here so I can buy it.

Just a random question, which you may lead somewhere.

Is it simple/easy to remove the steel bulkhead and use it without or is it a structural necessity?

Having had a Transit without a bulkhead, I can't imagine why you would want to remove it.

It was noisier, colder, dustier, dirtier and less secure and as I was using it as a skip to shift rubble and garden crap it was always in the back of my mind that if I got hit or rolled it, my airbag would be 100cwt of broken slabs.

Having had a Transit without a bulkhead, I can't imagine why you would want to remove it.

It was noisier, colder, dustier, dirtier and less secure and as I was using it as a skip to shift rubble and garden crap it was always in the back of my mind that if I got hit or rolled it, my airbag would be 100cwt of broken slabs.

Cos as a mobile lab you can't carry the tekkie person in the back if there's a full bulkhead.