Tales of a Triumph Toledo

purplebargeken

Well it had to happen at some point didn't it. The TR Toledo went to another home, the green Dolomite also went to a new home. Hmm, no news on that one.

The Sierra has gone to a mete of mine in Coventry. He is a Dolomite licker but is also reliving his younger years via the Sierra which is a very good thing as he will give it the love and attention that it requires.

I then obtained a Toledo. A blue one. The one that John used to have.

This arrived at the Costa Del Shithole that is Edmonton a tad after midday and John and his lady companion were whisked away to the local train station via the i10. Destination? Omegaland!

First impressions? It's blue. The car had a respray at some point. When I say respray, it had some blue paint pointed in its general direction and it seems to have gone everywhere. The person who did the painting was obviously a relative of the person who painted the engine bay of the Sierra. THe furflex door seals are painted, as are the washer jets, the shock absorber nuts on the top of the turrets. The washer jet tubing was also a victim. Paint aside, the car looks very solid in all of the appropriate places. There are a few blisters here and there but nothing I would bleat about. The engine was oil tight but grubby. Hoses looked ok. No excessive use of springs identified but the giffer owner had a bodge orientated mind. He used a piece of wire to link the throttle cable bit to the carb. The plastic ended original part had long since broken. I approve of this bodge as I had to do the same a good few years ago. A new part will be obtained. The dashpot was topped up too. LED bulbs were fitted to the sidelights and are much improved.

The interior. Home made carpet is the orxder of the day. It will remain in place until a Coverdale one is saved yup for. New furflex is required as what is there is knackered. The rear view mirror is solid but the glass is not in great shape. I have a Ford Ka one ready to fit. The front parcel shelf needs fitting a bit better and there is a vinyl panel missing. The headlining looks intact but has the brown glue sickness. It will get painted at some point soon. The seats are in good nick but are responding well to cleaning. Tyres and wheels look good but MGF steelies on order.

More to follow

Forgot camera!

One of the sidelight/indicator lenses is broken, but I found one in the garage :)

It also needs an interior light cover. I might have one somewhere.

Bigger issue is the odd feeling bonnet release cable. The plastic handle is kaput and the cable doesn't feel right. It works in a fashion but I am not keen on it at all.

Sounds like a list of woes but it really isn't. The car is solid and the bits that need doing are rather straightforward. I am excited about it which has to be a very good thing!

I've already replaced the suspension turret nuts with proper nylock stainless! NOS washer jets fitted too ;)

No expert mate lol.

I have some black vinyl so I might be make a new panel. The cable might be ok with a good clean and lube.

Clive, would you be able to take a good close up piccie of the bonnet release cable at the catch end please, just in case this one is not properly adjusted/fitted.

Ok, cleaned the passenger seat, door card and drivers door card. Quite happy thus far :) The sun visors were a bloody state and I used some CarPlan Machine Clean on 'em to good effect :)

General wipe over inside the car and had a go at making the paint less rough in other areas with varying degrees of failure.

I'd like to get the story behind painting the car as it was one of the nicest blues that Triumph put out in the day. Ice blue.

I've taken off the rear view mirror as it had no dip thingy on it and the silvering was starting to go. Ka one looks just fine. 

Am very happy with the front and rear bumpers, they look in lovely condition, just the rear drivers side bumper blade that lets the show down. 

Not sure what I will do with the bonnet cable just yet. Autoshite sticker to fit.

The steering wheel fitted is a tad too big, the pad says Stag, so who knows. 

Have some photos in a minute or two. Hang on.

Passenger seat base, a before and during shot:

017_zpsqjjntdag.jpg

Yuck!

018_zpsgriawdla.jpg

Nice intact card with only a small amount of warping. Can't get rid of the brown staining on the door handle. No idea whatthat is.

021_zpsrxt8m6eh.jpg

Much better!

022_zps8w4btocd.jpg

The brown glue staining is quite heavy over a fair area of the headlining. I can sort this!

The interior light base looks a bit tired. I have another.

027_zpsgumpeiqb.jpg

Ballasted coil. First one I have ever seen/had!

005_zpsmxp6wf99.jpg

Clive, can you see the bit you have missing one yours? Can you see the bit I have missing one mine?!!!

003_zpsvhbdmuaa.jpg

Small round stainless things!

004_zpsfyl7ktxc.jpg

The offending item!

002_zpsvicmbeih.jpg

To be honest, it was repainted at some point and done better in some areas than others, ahem. John rightly described the car as a 10 footer :)

The paint seems pretty thickly applied so may respond to mopping at some point. Depends if I can bribe Trigger ;)

It may not even be a Triumph colour. I have the addresses of some previous owners, so a few letters may go out. Who knows. I may find out what happened. I may not.

Cheers mate.

The main things are:

Headlining

Carpet

Bonnet cable

Furflex door seals

Clean up the electrical connections - preventative maintenance and all that.

The bits will be done over the next 3 or 4 months.

MGF steelies....... when I see 'em at a reasonable price on eBay.

Bit more time spent on the car today. Twiddled with the sidelight LED and now both work. Further cleaning of the sun visors, sadly one is stained beyond cleaning but painting will make good.

Tired rear view mirror removed, need sticky pad for Ka mirror.

More engine bay cleaning done, stainless fixings smattered here and there, cooling fan cleaned.

Go to open drivers door, locked. Hmm. Pull up the plastic doodad and it goes all wibbly. Still locked.

Door card removal next on the agenda, fix lock mechanism. Likely a clip or rod has become detatched. It happens.

Grump.