The Last Ambassador. It's Ours!

rovamota

Brilliant, I do like these just for being so unloved, they don't even seem to have the noteriety of the Princess, they just seem to have been forgotten and must be even rarer.  If your previous exploits are anything to go by, this should look amazing when it's done.

I was hoping you might get hold of the one that spent many years lugging caravans around a campsite somewhere in the UK, there's a few photos of it in use relatively recently online somewhere and it looked utterly hanging but obviously still worked.  I guess that one's long gone now though.

Yours has been spotted on here before in less happy times...

http://autoshite.com/topic/6935-the-great-cortina-hunt-a-sad-true-story/page-2

Oh, excellent choice of next subject.... I was hoping that the pictures of this abandoned on a driveway weren't the end of the story and someone would see if for the piece of history it is.

Did they really only last two years? I'm off to hit ARO and gen up, I feel there's a gap in my knowledge around these.

Yeah, on sale from March 1982 until February 1984 and never made in LHD. Even Austin Morris stopped making spare parts for it in 1986 such was the lack of demand, which I guess is a good thing as they must have been so reliable!

I'm told the floor is solid as are the sills though the exhaust must be about to fail, but it does run and drive even with a shot water pump and as for the brakes, if the brake pedal has hardly been used for 30 years I think we can guess the state of the system.

Ah well, we have the technology to sort it.

Excellent save! Saw pictures of this looking pretty abandoned and uncared for. Father Misfit had one new in 1982, a 1.7L no less. Even the clock was removed an a cheap plastic blanking plate fitted but it was both spacious and amazingly comfortable. Sadly VCW320Y is not one of the small number of survivors.

Good luck with this. Ensure you give us regular update photos

First a flappy mirror grey grille Sierra is saved by a shiter, and now the very last Austin Ambassador made, in Ferrero Rocher flavour too. With this Ambassador you really are spoiling us! (sorry pun had to be done)

An old boss I used to work for (RIP) ordered a brand new ambassador.

However, salesman then told him he could do him a better deal on a brand new SD1.

So the ambassador failed to materialise- in its place was a silver leaf SD1 2 litre with shetland tweed upholstery.

Well done, nice save. I dont know what Gaydon were thinking of when they got rid of that. Fools.

It's a terrible shame that Gaydon didn't deem it essential that the last of these to remain in the collection, very pleased that she has now been saved though......