Saab clutch's

nigel bickle

OK. This morning SWMBO lunched the clutch on our 'classic' 900 turbo,a real pain as I was due off this morning to collect a passenger door glass as it was broken into in Southampton Tuesday -her handbag nicked etcetc .Back to the clutch. Still a pedal - very low but there -so I thought 'slave cylinder' (again -only did Croma one 2 days ago).Only it seems to be INSIDE the bellhousing.Nice Haynes manual says -'first remove engine and gearbox complete'????Does anyone have any experience of these? Do I really need to take it down to component form to replace a slave cylinder?Help/ advice/ cash to pay for it -all welcome.

Worry not Mr B these clutches are well easy to do.They are right at the front of the engine and there is an intermediate input shaft which goes into them, with a chain going down from that shaft to the gearbox beneath.First you have to take the placca cover off the clutch and press the clutch pedal so it is disengaged. Then, wedge something (ideally some bowden cable) into the pressure plate between the diaphragm 'fingers' and the pressure plate housing to jam the clutch in the disengaged position.Then use a slide hammer technique to pull this intermediate shaft out (i think you can screw a bolt into the end of the shaft and just pop it out with a lever, there isnt actually any room for a slide hammer and its not very tight anyway)When that intermediate shaft is out, and the clutch is correctly wedged down, you can undo all the screws holding the slave in place and just lift it out, and the clutch too if you fancy changing it.The only 'trick' is using something the right size in wedging the pressure plate, to be sure that you are wedging it in the '100% down' position. so dont use something that will just get squashed flat by the diaphragm fingers.I dont know why the haynes is telling you to take the engine out, thats bo11ox.

I have done the Slave cylinder on my 9000S, it was a subframe down, gearbox out job, as the Cylinder surrounds the input shaft.Was a long drawn out job, not helped by a faulty new slave cylinder from GSF :roll: So had to do it twice..This job has consigned many a Saab to the scrap heap i'm afraid..Not entirely sure on a 900 Classic, but i would expect it to be the same type of slave cylinder..Sorry i cant give you better news.

I have done the Slave cylinder on my 9000S, it was a subframe down, gearbox out job, as the Cylinder surrounds the input shaft.Was a long drawn out job, not helped by a faulty new slave cylinder from GSF :roll: So had to do it twice..This job has consigned many a Saab to the scrap heap i'm afraid..Not entirely sure on a 900 Classic, but i would expect it to be the same type of slave cylinder..Sorry i cant give you better news.

It's a lot easier to get at on a 900. The 9000 suffers from having a much more "normal" engine layout, with a transverse engine. The 900 layout with an in-line engine and the box underneath is a lot easier to work on.

Cooo -thans Mr B/Wuvvie -best news I've had today. Ok -will investigate shortly.Finished rebuilding a recalcitrant starter motor on a Renault 17 this morning (solenoid just clicked etc) -span it up on the vice -ideal -spot on.Fitted to the car (having dismantled half one side etc). Click click.Off it comes again -time to find a replacement........

Cooo -thans Mr B/Wuvvie -best news I've had today. Ok -will investigate shortly.Finished rebuilding a recalcitrant starter motor on a Renault 17 this morning (solenoid just clicked etc) -span it up on the vice -ideal -spot on.Fitted to the car (having dismantled half one side etc). Click click.Off it comes again -time to find a replacement........

Sure its not an earth strap problem?