OMG FARM FIND MX5

Sigmund Fraud

post-17318-0-97047300-1460813609_thumb.jpg

post-17318-0-31622300-1460813614_thumb.jpg

post-17318-0-80306000-1460813619_thumb.jpg

This thing has been sitting around the farm for the past six months. I took it off the road last autumn, as it would have needed a bit of mechanical work for its MoT. My plan was to fix it over the winter months, take it through an MoT in early spring, tart it up and sell it for £££.

It's now mid-April, and I've done absolutely nothing with it so far. The penny has dropped that, with four other projects on the go, there's no chance I'll do anything with the MX5 in the foreseeable future.

I'm therefore putting it up for sale as-is, hoping that a brave Autoshitter will give it a good home.

It's far, far better than a £150 MX5 deserves to be and I don't expect it to need any welding for an MoT.

What I do expect it to need is a rebuild of the rear calipers ("they all do that, sir"), replacement of the rear shocks (two good spare coilovers will come with the car), a replacement alternator (seized due to lack of use) and a very, very good wash !

Shitters' price is £150, which will buy you the car but not the genuine Mazda hard top - I'm afraid I'm not that generous.

The car is in Andover, North Hants and will need to be trailered away, though it will start and drive onto a trailer.

I bought mine in a similar state as a non runner (for 3 times what you're selling for!)

After doing the deal I freed off the alternator with GT85, fitted a new belt and drove it home. If you weren't so far away I'd do it again...

I bought mine in a similar state as a non runner (for 3 times what you're selling for!)

After doing the deal I freed off the alternator with GT85, fitted a new belt and drove it home. If you weren't so far away I'd do it again...

Some cars just need TLC rather than ££££,s. This may be one of them.

Wow. Absolute bargain.

Our mk1 alternator used to do that when sat for a couple of months. Made impressive smoke with the belt rubbing against it. Every time I got it free with a breaker bar and it ran perfectly.

The mk1 mx5 is the car that gave me confidence to fiddle with cars and fix them myself. Mega simple, cheap parts and not a lot to go wrong.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned which is the elephant in the room with these. Rust. What are the sills like and have they started going crusty?

Some cars just need TLC rather than ££££,s. This is one of them.

EFA.

What are the sills like and have they started going crusty?

Nearside sill looks good, offside sill has been plated in the past - not concours work, but remains solid. Rear subframe has plenty of surface rust (as per MoT advisories) but no holes. Front chassis rails look good.

which will buy you the car but not the genuine Mazda hard top - I'm afraid I'm not that generous.

So are you selling the hardtop separately??

I also really want the wheels... They're so much better than the aftermarket alloys on mine!!

Although mine may well need welding for the MoT, as well as brake caliper rebuild (they really do all do that sir) so maybe I should just buy this one...

As a companion for the one I've got obviously...

£150 for an NA MX-5 with a hard top let alone a matching one is EPIC value compared to what they normally go for. Aren't good hard tops worth basically as much? If I didn't have the XM sitting around I'd so have this.

£150 is a bargain for any MX5. That one looks to have had a BMW clock fitted under the space where a stereo should be, and the steering wheel is definitely not off a Monza (that looks nicer IMHO).

I wish I had a Trailer and a garage big enough to store it.

I also really want the wheels... They're so much better than the aftermarket alloys on mine!!

Although mine may well need welding for the MoT, as well as brake caliper rebuild (they really do all do that sir) so maybe I should just buy this one...

If you need a set of 14 inch wheels, I may have a set of daisies in the shed, which I will be putting on our Monza and the Monza one's will be available, with tread one centre cap missing.  I'm sure we could come to a fair price.

The ones that are going to be available are like this:

post-17612-0-28087000-1460843715_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-39697600-1460843800_thumb.jpg

(spot the missing centre cap and the missing Monza sticker)

And the wheels that are going on are like this. post-17612-0-92750600-1460843990_thumb.jpg 

£150 for an NA MX-5 with a hard top let alone a matching one is EPIC value compared to what they normally go for. Aren't good hard tops worth basically as much? If I didn't have the XM sitting around I'd so have this.

The hard top isn't included, but the car is still a massive bargain. Anyone know (not inc. Shipley) a cheap way to get it to Chester?

Hasn't Mo just got hold of some trade plates? He'll probably take payment in car mats too.

Not a bad plan, but the alternator is properly seized, i.e. beyond just freeing up with a breaker bar. I've actually had to remove it, to allow the car to start and be driven around the farm without generating a cloud of burnt rubber smoke.

So when I say that it needs to be trailered, I mean it !

The hard top isn't included, but the car is still a massive bargain. Anyone know (not inc. Shipley) a cheap way to get it to Chester?

Ah right, I just glossed over the wordy things in the OP. Still top value though.

So when I say that it needs to be trailered, I mean it !

I'm not suggesting in any way that someone should Roadkill it by turning up with the wrong alternator, make it work anyway and still manage to spill transmission fluid everywhere. Nobody should do that.

Update !

This thing has had lots of interest from various 'shitters, but still hasn't sold.

I went to the farm this afternoon, to make sure it's still there and that farmer Palmer hasn't accidentally run it over with one of his tractors...

I also had another look at the bodywork, to make sure things haven't deteriorated since I last had the car on the ramps. Things seemed to be as per my previous description, apart from a 50p area of bubbling paint on the nearside sill that I hadn't noticed before. My tame MoT tester would pass this and advise, if you're in doubt you're most welcome to view the car and draw your own conclusions.