Grey sierra sold

garbaldy

If you don't like it then there's two options

1 you can stay clear of this thread and all my other fix it threads.

2 I can stop posting about it here.

Dislike

No need really as a reply to someone's constructive opinion which you asked for

What the fuck!

You ask for opinions and when you get one different from what you think you get a shit on? As I said I honestly don't give a shit what you do with it as it's your car but there's no need for any attitude like that.

So I dont get this is it option 1 or option 2 ?

Dislike

No need really as a reply to someone's constructive opinion which you asked for

Dislike away I'm fine with Any opinions for or against,

Like I said if nobody likes the way im doing things that's fine by me.

I didn't ask whether I should hit it with a stick of stretch the tyres or even sand it to bare metal so this place going all RR is not really appropriate, remember it wasn't me who changed its wheels.

The idea of a better engine is exactly as you stated to make it more useful for every day use, and it isn't exactly keeping up with 1.0 corsas at the minute never mind BMW or Audi's.

The need for more power comes from the fact it doesn't like to accelerate and by the time your up to 60 then you have to slow down again and then the cycle repeats, I know 60 is not a target but driving around at 40 is not for me, at least not till I'm 70 anyway.

If you don't like it then there's two options

1 you can stay clear of this thread and all my other fix it threads.

2 I can stop posting about it here.

Is it really that slow?! 

My Horizon's acceleration could be measured with an egg timer, however it has never stopped me driving it, I had a 1.6 E-max Sierra and that seemed a lot quicker than my Horizon is.

Is this engine really that bad or is there a problem with it ? I didn't think a cvh was that bad,what sort of bhp does/did it have?

Is it worth fitting a new donk or just moving the car on?

It is very reluctant to rev above 3k and is definitely better since the exhaust fell off, I'm thinking it could be a carb issue as it feels like the second choke just isn't working,

The CVH gives out 90hp, a 2.0 pinto on a carb will give 100 and in fuel injected form around 115.

The 1.8 CVH is an engine that doesn't like to be revved, I find that 3,000 rpm is quite adequate for mine, it's not quick but you can quite easily push it into 3 figures on the speedo.

You can make progress in them, I did Gatwick to Norwich in a 1.8 LX estate in 2 hours, it was new at the time and I was driving for a car rental company.

I've been impressed with the fuel economy on mine, on a run keeping the speedo at around 70 it returns 45 mpg.

Try looking at the carb, also the ignition timing - it may be a little to retarded.  There is a way of retarding the ignition timing by earthing various wires that are close to the coil, Haynes give a description of this.

When I saw your car and refitted a vacuum pipe that had dropped off, I was impressed by how sweet the engine ran.

I like the logic at play here.

"One fairly small part of the engine may be acting up a bit. Time to do an engine swap then."

your right of course but just how much do you spend on fixing these crucial little bits before it mounts up to the same as an engine swap

The 1.8 CVH is an engine that doesn't like to be revved, I find that 3,000 rpm is quite adequate for mine, it's not quick but you can quite easily push it into 3 figures on the speedo.

On a two 3 mile stretch of road I managed a licence loosing 70mph.

I'd suggest there are two possible issues:

1 - driver used to quicker cars feels this one is a bit slow.  Even I've fallen foul of this.

2 - there's something wrong that's holding it back.

An engine swap is a drastic solution at this stage.  See if you can find out why it's not performing as it should and go from there.  It may be that it's got a mechanical niggle to resolve or that your driving style isn't what's best for this particular car.  I like cars with lots of torque and I'm not fussed about high speed so I find cars that need a lot of revs to get going incredibly frustrating to drive and too snatchy even if there's nothing wrong with them.

I'd suggest there are two possible issues:

1 - driver used to quicker cars feels this one is a bit slow.  Even I've fallen foul of this.

2 - there's something wrong that's holding it back.

An engine swap is a drastic solution at this stage.  See if you can find out why it's not performing as it should and go from there.  It may be that it's got a mechanical niggle to resolve or that your driving style isn't what's best for this particular car.  I like cars with lots of torque and I'm not fussed about high speed so I find cars that need a lot of revs to get going incredibly frustrating to drive and too snatchy even if there's nothing wrong with them.

correct I am used to faster cars but I am also just as used to slower cars,

I have had sierras in the past and the cvh engine is not what I would specifically go out and buy but I like this car and want it to be more user friendly, I am going to strip the carb and clean it out but even if that does improve the engine I still will want more, the chassis is more than capable of handling double what was intended,

Guest Hooli

Does it rattle a lot at the top end? Most CVHs I've known have had the wrong oil so the tappets collapse.

Another thing I've seen on a couple CVHs is the keyway in the crank for the woodruff key that locates the bottom cambelt pulley breaks, so the cam timing slips.

Does it rattle a lot at the top end? Most CVHs I've known have had the wrong oil so the tappets collapse.

Another thing I've seen on a couple CVHs is the keyway in the crank for the woodruff key that locates the bottom cambelt pulley breaks, so the cam timing slips.

That's just it the engine is really as sweet as a mouthful of antifreeze,

Makes you wonder if it's exhaust related really.  A stuffed up cat or collapsed innards on a back box can really strangle the performance of a car and since you mentioned it was better when some of the exhaust was jettisoned perhaps that's where the problem lies?

TBH i didn't think it was quite that bad and i managed over 80mph a few times on the way home from work at 6 in the morning. I'm wondering if the mixture screws still need adjustment as we pissed about them loads as it kept stalling and sputtering, I'm also wondering if the jets need looking at as that was the one job i was going to do before i sold it. This was in the tank so It's possible there's still some shit floating around in there somewhere.

post-3625-0-60531100-1459805655_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-76762900-1459805668_thumb.jpg

Makes you wonder if it's exhaust related really.  A stuffed up cat or collapsed innards on a back box can really strangle the performance of a car and since you mentioned it was better when some of the exhaust was jettisoned perhaps that's where the problem lies?

You could even do away with the cat if fitted as it's on a J-plate, pre-1992.

TBH i didn't think it was quite that bad and i managed over 80mph a few times on the way home from work at 6 in the morning. I'm wondering if the mixture screws still need adjustment as we pissed about them loads as it kept stalling and sputtering, I'm also wondering if the jets need looking at as that was the one job i was going to do before i sold it. This was in the tank so It's possible there's still some shit floating around in there somewhere.

Looks like the tank could maybe do with another flush, did you notice if it had a tank filter? Did you strip and clean the carb as well?

Might be better and easier just to get a replacement tank, you can ensure its spotless then, the seam where they always end up leaking from looks like it has rust in places of it so if your keeping it might be worth doing anyway, the bonus is the tank fixings should come undone nice and easy because trig has already been there

Might be better and easier just to get a replacement tank, you can ensure its spotless then, the seam where they always end up leaking from looks like it has rust in places of it so if your keeping it might be worth doing anyway, the bonus is the tank fixings should come undone nice and easy because trig has already been there

I know where a couple of Sierra's are sitting so that's a possibility, either that or the liquid tank liner would do surely.

It could do the trick but could end up costing the same as a replacement tank anyway, might be worth contacting your local motorbike place and see if they do it the one by me charges peanuts for a bike tank but I've never asked them about a car tank, mine was spotless inside but sprung a leak from the seam, a brand new one was £50 delivered