How do speed cameras work when they point the "wrong&qu

martc

Beverley by-pass is riddled with speed cameras. On the dual carriageway section the cameras point in the direction of the traffic flow, ie they would photograph the back of the car. I thought the idea was to take a picture of the front to provide evidence of who was driving the vehicle. Most cameras I have seen (particularly on single carriageways) point towards the traffic.Also, there are calibration lines painted on the road, either side of the camera - ie in front of and behind the lens - why? Is it to allow the camera to be turned around and point the other way - implying that there is secret scheme to make us drive on the wrong side ot the road!

Most speed cameras take the back of the car, there are only a few forward viewing cameras, I think there was a legal issue of photographing people without permission. Some cameras are designed to turn to photograph the biggest traffic flow. If the camera is at the side of the road (not in the middle of the dual carriageway) look at where the markings are on the road. They have to be in the photograph to prove the speed, so if they are in front of the camera, it will photograph the back of the car.What I would like to know is how many accidents are caused by people slamming the brakes on when they see any camera, even if it's on the wrong side of the road.

What I would like to know is how many accidents are caused by people slamming the brakes on when they see any camera, even if it's on the wrong side of the road.

I hate this. I know someone who slows down to at least 10mph below the limit every time he goes through a camera, even if he wasn't speeding.I tell him to either learn how the cameras work or keep to the speed limit.

I read a lot about this since i've been here. Truth is they photogragh front OR the back of the car. It's then up to the registered keeper to name who was driving. Failing to do so results in an even bigger prosecution, and there's virtualy no defence.We're told these cash machines do not make mistakes, but the fact is they DO. Guilty until proven. Some no longer even need road markings, so i understand why people slow to a crawl when they go past em. I want some Stealth Bomber paint :wink:

Some cameras now use light that is not detectable by the human eye. Truvelo is one that springs to mind. See "pepipoo" website......also "ABD" Kev. I want that car outa that Rowen Attkinson film...."Johnny English", sends sidewinder missiles at speed cameras. :twisted:

The three main cameras in use in the UK are...Gatso : Take a photo of the rear of the car. Needs painted lines in road, usually a series of ten dashes. Two flashes and you're nicked. Uses film so has 'fake' empty cameras.Truevelo : Takes a photo of the front of the car. Infra-red flash, digital so all are active. Uses three wires buried in road for calibration so often no painted stripes, just black lines very close together.SPECS : The high-up ones. No markings on road, takes photos of front of car using average speed calculated through pairs of cameras a known distance apart. All digital, infra-red illumination for night. Lane-changing doesn't fool them any more, and it's not always consecutive cameras that are paired.

What they do in Nottinghamshire is have lots & lots of SPEED CAMERA signs on A roads. Usually there is no such camera, but I've noticed that PC Plod sometimes lurks near these signs pointing his hairdryer at you. Presumably like 'Mind the Gap', that means you can't say you weren't warned if you do get caught. The County Council actually publishes where PC Plod will be each week, on their website (again, this must be a legal requirement to cover their backs in case Mr Litigious comes along). The worst trap of all is on the A60 coming into/going out of Mansfield towards Nottingham. They lurk by either side of the road in a van. It is downhill & actually quite difficult to keep any car at less than 30 due to, er, gravity. In front of you are two huge signs which say 50 - your natural inclination is to speed up towards these! Smile, you're on Candid 'Crime'watch.

Note that in the case of speed limit signs, IT STARTS BEYOND THE FIRST BIG SIGN, not from the moment you see it.

Guess who's been caught twice there (£120, 6 points)?

I know several other people who've been 'caught' at around 40 going in & coming back on the same day...

Cash machine indeed. :x:x:x

Thanks for the comments - speed cameras are always guaranteed to set people off! It does seem ironic that such controversial peices of kit are positioned to preserve peoples privacy and yet are so designed to prevent you from having a realistic chance of explaining your actions."Truevelo : Takes a photo of the front of the car. Infra-red flash, digital so all are active. Uses three wires buried in road for calibration so often no painted stripes, just black lines very close together. "It must be this type on the by-pass - as there are a pair of 3 white lines across the road either side of the camera.