Wishlist for Santa

pandamonium

Cavalier? Hahahhahahahahahahaha! No.

'Tis a Holden VH Commodore SS. Think early Carlton/Senator with a wazzo 5-litre V8 and four-speed Dennis Fire Engine manual box. Sophisticated it ain't - but I bloody loves it. I actually saw one of these in Perth last year, sounded ORSUMS, like Brian Blessed in V8 form. DO WANT.

Posted Image

Guest greenvanman

'Tis a Holden VH Commodore SS. Think early Carlton/Senator with a wazzo 5-litre V8 and four-speed Dennis Fire Engine manual box. Sophisticated it ain't - but I bloody loves it. I actually saw one of these in Perth last year, sounded ORSUMS, like Brian Blessed in V8 form. DO WANT.

If we're talking down under, when Mrs GVM and I went out to New Zealand I was allowed a paltry NZ$1000 to purchase wheels. I saw a lovely orange Datsun 120Y estate for exactly that amount, but I wasn't allowed it because it was "too old". Ho hum. Anyway, after about three days I decided what I really wanted was one of these, for no better reason than I thought it looked cool.

Posted Image

Holden Kingswoods rule :D

(we ended up with an '86 Sunny estate, which was pretty cool in its own right)

I'd love one too -and I've an empty space in the container (bellet and 124 are waiting for a ro-ro , now no earlier than feb -so 3 cars fills a container!) Someone explain the model derivations to me -and what I should look for -long distance!

If you are thinking of the estate (station wagon) = it's a HQ Holden 71-74 iirc - though the rest of the hj hx hz range are similar different grills etc. Hz had better suspension (RTS) but later are not as prettytrim is belmont, kingswood ,premier - they are also 2 door Monaros, gts but big big money now! we had the belmont with red vinyl and rubber mats - my uncle had the premier in emerald metallic green and a kingswood in purple.engines are Holden Red 173 ci and most popular 202 ci 3.3L 6 which i think is also in a bigger vauxhall - and the v8s 253 and 308 ci and chev 350 for monarosgreat cars that go forever - column shifts a bit rattley and automatics (trimatics=traumatics) have a so so rep. and the rear suspension has always crapped itself.just a personal view but always tight under the steering wheel in bench seat models but thats just me (im only 6ft)spares are very cheap as transferrable over a big range and this is the best selling holden ever but do have their own one make race series which can lift prices. of course if you like the shape and enjoy japanese they are the Mazda Roadpacer with a 12a (?) rotaryi hope this has hepled - if it was the car you were asking for!if its the VH SS im feeling a bit silly.......

on the subject of holdens, i had a HQ ute, 202 with column change, and a '69 Bedford CKD CF with a transplanted 202 with Auto. Loved the bedford, but i dunno the HQ just didnt do it for me..ooh, must add these to the my history thread..

• 2 weeks later...