Renault 20 TS - final update with video 04/08/2017

doubleyeller

As with everyone else, I'm gobsmacked and amazed at this superb save!! Good luck with the resto... And don't forget to tell us all about it.

Thanks, lets see how we get on - I'm considering having it as a slightly "rat - look" daily. Opinions on this encouraged! Tbh, my memories of these all relate to them being good looking and handsome yet also very scruffy and covered in scabs and dents!

I don't really see the need to turn it into a show standard car - after all they never were about that

Slam that bitch on some banded steels, roof rack and SCENERATLUKYO!

Seriously that is class in a glass M.Yeller. My Uncle George had a few of these and loved them.

Does the car have conventional points/condenser ignition? I think Renault were starting to experiment with transistorised systems around this time so you could have an early setup. Complex then, very simple now. Worst case scenario might be to get hold of a Lumenition kit if you can't get it to go.

Any long term plans yet? I appreciate getting it to run is Job 1 but are you going for a full resto or just to MOT standard?

Slam that bitch on some banded steels, roof rack and SCENERATLUKYO!

Seriously that is class in a glass M.Yeller. My Uncle George had a few of these and loved them.

Does the car have conventional points/condenser ignition? I think Renault were starting to experiment with transistorised systems around this time so you could have an early setup. Complex then, very simple now. Worst case scenario might be to get hold of a Lumenition kit if you can't get it to go.

Any long term plans yet? I appreciate getting it to run is Job 1 but are you going for a full resto or just to MOT standard?

The ignition set up is way over the top of my head I'm afraid - but please keep up the technical talk - my mechanic will understand it and you may just crack our problems! Long term plan is to get the MOT on it - as mentioned above, I quite like the "Rusting in a back street of Limoges" type look!

After that? well it depends how the work goes I suppose........it could be that I look to move it on eventually as I only have the means to run one car really - and these like a drink IIRC!

Anybody on here maybe interested when the time comes?

Wasn't that Renault20 bloke interested in buying one....?

That engine was used in a few different Renault models, i can't imagine a missing spark being anything too hard to fix. Probably turn out to be a knackered HT lead but I would think your mechanic has probably checked that already. This engine was shared by a few other models so service parts probably won't be too hard to find. And there is always Leboncoin for anything you can't find over here.

Remember as well if the petrol has been sitting in that tank for years it will have the octane rating of a can of Fanta so a gallon of fresh pez wouldn't do any harm as part of the starting process

The computer (yes, in a 1976 car) that controlled the gearbox had retired itself.

I had a 1981 Renault 5 auto with a computer-controlled gearbox.  The computer on that was on its way out too - and it had already been replaced once.  I think Renault have been overstretching themselves electronically for quite some time now...

Friend's father bought a second hand 30TX auto in about 1980-advertised in the Times!

He had to have the gearbox electronic unit replaced even then.

The unit itself cannot be that complicated-it can only contain standard electronic components-nothing computerised.

Anyway as the advertisement said

"Who do you think you are-Stirling Moss?"

Steve

So I gave the car a bloody good wash down today, which has transformed it's appearance! Here's a few more shots.....

post-20279-0-40875100-1459541845_thumb.jpg

post-20279-0-05792200-1459541878_thumb.jpg

And the interior - very brown!

post-20279-0-56635400-1459541926_thumb.jpg

post-20279-0-93654100-1459541971_thumb.jpg

And the major achievement of the day? I managed to get the electric sunroof working! A massive gamble, but it's paid off!! I worked it back and forth about 5mm at a time.........it kept tripping out on overload, but it goes back half way freely now. In the end the battery lost charge, and I had to stop, but see no reason why there should be any problem getting it fully operational.

8)

post-20279-0-45064300-1459542212_thumb.jpg

post-20279-0-31889100-1459542243_thumb.jpg

Sunroof on these was never particularly quick.

My dad had a 30TS auto. RMA328P. I've still got the rear seats from it.

I owned a 30TX for a short while but didn't have time to sort it so Ed Ratdat ended up with it. I've still never driven a 30TX, but as never having driven a 604 made me rebuild one In not looking for a 30.

My brother had a 20TL for a couple of years in the mid 80s, I think the reg was TGR57V but could be wrong. I remember he had to get the tops of the doors rebuilt and painted when the thing was five years old.

OUTSTANDING!!

Remember as well if the petrol has been sitting in that tank for years it will have the octane rating of a can of Fanta so a gallon of fresh pez wouldn't do any harm as part of the starting process

This. A can of fresh super plus unleaded got my Dedra running after 7 years in a barn.

Anybody on here maybe interested when the time comes?

Affirmative captain. Oh yes. Especially later this year or maybe next when I've made some room.

• 1 year later...