Renault 20 TS - final update with video 04/08/2017

doubleyeller

I had a 30TS auto some years ago (actually 31...) which had suffered an FTP.  I bought it as a non-runner and that's the way it stayed.  The computer (yes, in a 1976 car) that controlled the gearbox had retired itself.

So yes, rust is an issue, a big one, but go through the electrical bits very carefully too!

I had a 30TS auto some years ago (actually 31...) which had suffered an FTP.  I bought it as a non-runner and that's the way it stayed.  The computer (yes, in a 1976 car) that controlled the gearbox had retired itself.

So yes, rust is an issue, a big one, but go through the electrical bits very carefully too!

Well to say its been in storage since 1989, electrics wise it is doing remarkably well! Put a new battery on it, and everything works perfectly after a few tries! Even the sunroof began to open very slowly, but I am debating the wisdom of opening it in case I can never close it again!

The engine turns over great, but unfortunately haven't been able to produce a spark as yet, despite new plugs and coil - ideas anybody?

I can, it was  2011 in Paphos.  There was a brown one laid up in a garden not far off the Tombs of The Kings Road (major road in tourist area for those who haven't been).  I failed to get a snap of it, there was always too much shrubbery around but I could just about see it as I drove past.

I can, it was  2011 in Paphos.  There was a brown one laid up in a garden not far off the Tombs of The Kings Road (major road in tourist area for those who haven't been).  I failed to get a snap of it, there was always too much shrubbery around but I could just about see it as I drove past.

Seen them in France more recently than the nineties, but not in this country - Not popular when new IIRC

I think over here there was a perception that the body really needed the V6, but that was a car people didn't want anyway (when you could get the same engine in a brick-shaped Volvo), so the 20 suffered as a result.  You could buy a very nice Cortina or CX in the same bracket.

AA Travel GB sticker and CSMA grille badge.   Perfect 20 accessories.   Probably bought new by a VAT officer 5 years from retirement with a slight Francophile leaning, towing a camping trailer to the Loire for a couple of summers before signing half his pension over to a Gite development in Southern Brittany.  Probably got flogged to a sheepskin through the Exchange & Mart Cars Wanted section before being replaced by a Supercinq bought in France at a massive* discount off UK  list.  

AA Travel GB sticker and CSMA grille badge.   Perfect 20 accessories.   Probably bought new by a VAT officer 5 years from retirement with a slight Francophile leaning, towing a camping trailer to the Loire for a couple of summers before signing half his pension over to a Gite development in Southern Brittany.  Probably got flogged to a sheepskin through the Exchange & Mart Cars Wanted section before being replaced by a Supercinq bought in France at a massive* discount off UK  list.  

Bugger me, but you're pretty well correct with all that! Except that it was given to the civil servant's daughter in law as a school run car. Apparently laid up in 1989 because it was too big and heavy for her to drive...........

HOLY MACARONI!!!!! Thats the tits! Fantastic. Tell us more!!!! Where'd you find it?

Well it came up on a website as being for sale. Long story short, it had sat in the garage of an elderly couple since 1989. They passed away at some point in the last year or so. Their son wished to restore it, but understandably realised that, being 70 himself, he wouldn't be left with a suitable car to use at the end of the process. As he wished to sell his late parent's home, he advertised it as available, and I have been making arrangements to have it removed since late February. As the house is now under offer, it has hastened the urgency of the situation - so I had it towed away today!

As far as i know, there is only one other TS Auto on the roads (Howmanyleft) - and this is a very high specification car (for 1979!)

All I can say at the present time is that rot - wise, it is very clearly salvageable! Although there are ugly panel and chrome scabs all over the place, it is structurally ok! It was supplied with a replacement blue O/S wing which I have bolted on today, and the N/S rear wheel arch is shot at the join with the sill - I have obtained a bare metal replacement arch to rectify this. Basically, it is crunchy and needs some welding around the under edges and sills in some places, in other places it is still ok.