The Autoshite holy grail is now one of us!

trigger

Question:  Hypothetically, if we bought a NOS rear quarter panel that's currently on eBay (this being the only really rusty bit), are there any Manchester-based shiters who could collect it next week and store it for a bit?  Just checking out options at this point...

One of the seller's other listings says item located in Bolton.

Massive thanks to everyone for the generous gifts and nice messages (my favourite was SHIT CAR M8 :-) ).  My email has been going mad with notifications overnight and I am moved by everyone's willingness to pitch in to what most of the world would think was a pointless cause.

With some of your hard-earned we've already bought this:

$_12.JPG

which appears to be the only bit of bodywork that needs serious attention. 

I can do this if nobody closer speaks up before then.

Thanks for this and to everyone else who has offered help with collection.  In fact the seller is an excellent chap who breaks Sierras and Cortinas, likes the ordinary models best of all and is happy to store the panel for us as long as we like because we aren't XR or Cosworth lickers!  So JohnK will pop over there sometime soon-ish and see what other goodies he has, and will doubtless post up a report.

Just need to decide what colour rattle can to use on the new panel once John's fitted it.

Morning y'all.

The reality of what we've done has just about sunk in, and as you can see from the panel purchase - we do really mean this!

My first task is to sort out the running.  Whilst there's been a bit of discussion about how far to take things with the body, we're all of the opinion that mechanically it needs to be as good as we can reasonably expect.  It needs a complete service, a thermostat, a rocker cover gasket and probably a timing belt too.

If ANYONE has any service parts suitable for the car, PLEASE CAN YOU PM ME so that we can get things together?  Anything we can't source we will buy from the fund, but it'd be nice to hold whatever we can back for 'unexpected surprises'.

Hope to hear, and thanks for your help and kind words so far.  

Nice one Skizzer.

I think it's well worth changing that quarter panel, even if it does mean losing a bit the cars original patina. That rot in the old panel would soon become a problem. Good idea to just rattle can it too, not too pristine a finish.

I would definitely give this car a good wash and wax too, although it's great to see old cars run around covered in grime etc it won't be doing the car much good in the long term. Keeping it clean and occasionally waxed should help preserve the metalwork that's done so well to last like it has. Just my opinion of course!

Can't wait for more updates on this and for the work to start.

Question is, do you paint the panel?

Would its original owners have painted it?

If it was a house Kevin McCloud would say something wanky about conservation v restoration and "seeing the story". Or something.

None of these question need answering by the way!

Are you spying on our PMs?!

I think you've hit the head on the nail. Or whatever.  My attitude and mindset is to carry on doing what the previous owner would have done, and that seems to have been "Do what it needs, not what it wants".  

However: none of us can really answer this particular question, as he's retired from driving. I reckon a pretty good rattle can job is the way we'll go.

Don't worry about originality, for all we know that car had a minor altercation with a Bollard in 1995 and it's not the original Dagenham part. Who cares anyway, it's a piece of metal. Your house doesn't devalue if the tiles aren't the ones clumsily nailed on in 1930 so don't worry. If originality was the issue, don't change the cam belt...

I jest of course. It's a great find and an even greater save. I have no parts but Cousin Parky works at fords R&D team in Dunton and may have contacts for partsso will put the word out

I cant believe that u want to hold on to my empty packet of cigarettes lol haha its hilarious but yet again iconic as there is a big sticker saying no smoking! I must have been the first one to break the rule and leave my prints behind! Big up for u guys! I hope my discount counts as a contribution :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Autoshite!

Discount and fag packet definitely count :-)

It's conservation rather than restoration, but more conserving the feel of it rather than being obsessed with originality. So the rusty rear wing will get repaired, effectively but not necessarily prettily, but the front wing that's solid but appears to have had a dent knocked out with a golf club can stay as it is.

I've spoken via PM to BI, the parts I've got that I can spare are parcelled up and will be sent to him early next week.

There's the oil spray bar, oil filter, cam belt, cam belt tensioner bolt, and I found a new sump plug and some nylon sealing washers too.

It's not a great deal but it should be useful and help. Plus of course it means less to have to buy from the fund!

Plus of course it means less to have to buy from the fund!

That's what it's all about really.  If the car attempts to ambush us, we'll have reserves.  The usual tears will just be a shrug of the shoulders.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated.

It's the 1.6 carb motor hasn't it? ... I'll check the stash of air filters I got from Ruffgeezer to see if there's a suitable one.

Mega.  The usual sources aren't showing anything for the air filters.  Fuel and Oil don't seem to be a problem.  Should look like a big doughnut...