Collection and now for sale ... Volvo 340GL vario

skattrd

Ok, well using the mouseflakes patented starting method the little pushrod vario springs in to life quite easily.

As my sister is having the Clio from RobT I thought I'd keep this for myself as it is a fun and interesting thing. However due to me clicking BIN on a long term lurker in my ebay search list this is now for sale to make space for it.

Since purchasing from Andy_CMS I have driven it from Glasgow to Lincs and used for various errands and done almost nothing to it, so it's pretty much as it was when I got it.

1985 Volvo 340GL variomatic, 1.4l Renno pushrod engine (like Renault 5).

MOT - November 2016

Mileage - 33700 ... Yes thirty three thousand, will go up as I use it.

Condition - giffer owned, many dinks and a few dents, rear bumper the worst. Rust spots all over and a few areas needing attention as well. Heater matrix bypassed, no stereo and boot struts need replacing .... Looks good from 20m+. Interior is pretty good, as you would expect from the mileage.

Price £450 ... Location Lincs, about 10 miles south of Lincoln, nearest train Newark/Grantham/Lincoln.

No trades unless it involves cash my way and is something I really really want.

I had one of these Varios and they're the oddest things to drive ever at first. Trick is to hoof it, build the speed up then once you're there come off the power and it maintains that speed. Once I (sort of) got used to it though, it was brilliant.

Superbly comfortable as is par for the course for these cars, and it handled better than it had any right to.

Quite nippy if you give it a bootful, too. I've just bought a car (thread/pics later) so I'm out I'm afraid, but GLWTS!

That's pretty much the technique that Andy_cms demonstrated to me. Hoof it up to the desired speed then back off a touch and the revs/noise drop down and the car keeps the speed up. This way it did a steady 70* on the motorway on the way home from Glasgow.

Oh, and I forgot to mention there is also a HBL included as well.

When I got the DAF from Scooters all those years ago, thats the technique he told me. Took a few miles to get used to it but I was driving from Edinburgh to Leeds via Carlisle so had plenty of time.

I would live this as really liked the DAF. Usual excuses apply though. :(

Because the two sides act independently, you effectively get a limited slip diff. GR8 4 DRIFTIN. As long as it's been raining. And the tyres are bald.

Not with the V300, DAF 66 or one-belt-wonder DAF 46, they have a diff and rear suspension that saves the belts getting twisted to buggery. 

LSD effect on the DAF 55 and earlier.

I've not looked at the matrix bypass, I'm just going off what Andy_cms said, but no heat until it's connected, so it's fine for the next few months (summer).

I wouldn't think it would be a hard job as there is so little equipment and wiring in there.