1988 Audi 90 2.2 E - For Sale

trigger

Yeah, they're meant to be fully galvanised yet yours has had new wings judging by the paint skillz and mine was totally rotted through at the top of each arch, needed nearly two pounds worth of gaffer tape to get it through a test. How come there's such a specific weak spot?

It's a lovely car though. I went for the 20V Quattro flavour but the noise was brilliant. Explains sub-20mpg.

The only thing I had to do on mine really was a new ignition barrel, there's a bit of a weak pin on the back. That meant taking the column out and observing the amazing high-techness* of the Procon-Ten system (it's a length of steel cable)

Yeah, they're meant to be fully galvanised yet yours has had new wings judging by the paint skillz and mine was totally rotted through at the top of each arch, needed nearly two pounds worth of gaffer tape to get it through a test. How come there's such a specific weak spot?

I think the wings are still original, it's just the lower half that's had Stevie Wonder at it, i think it's corroded around the arch lip?.

Since i was last on here I've fitted a CD player which actually sounds really good!, the only down side is that it doesn't power off and a buzzer goes off when you open the door to warn you, is that a normal Audi thing or could someone have wired up the live wrong?.

post-3625-0-99867100-1459101951_thumb.jpg

I also got the pressure washer out and gave it a good blast all over, i done under the bonnet too but it ran like shiot for a bit, the leads are knackered though so i think that was the problem, seems ok again now.

post-3625-0-70876300-1459102397_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-01258000-1459101948_thumb.jpg

New tyre on the spare but the boot carpet is damp underneath, not sure why yet.

post-3625-0-98513000-1459101949_thumb.jpg

And fogs to blind drivers whilst tailgating them.

post-3625-0-94360000-1459101953_thumb.jpg

I think at some point it's been a well looked after car, sadly at some point in the last 5-10 years it's been neglected a little but i don't see too much to worry about other than this gasket and the front shocks at the moment... touch wood!

VAG around that time (and quite a lot more recently too) have a stereo connector that looks a lot like ISO, feels like ISO, connects to an ISO plug - but is wired with the live and switched the other way around. Yellow and red need swapping, you can get a loom to do it for you if your stereo doesn't have the bullets you can swap over.

That engine (in an F-reg Coupe courtesy car) got me addicted, so I went out and bought an S2 Coupe (same lump, turbo'd, Quattro'd). It financially ruined me. That too suffered from damp in the dizzy, making it run like shit, or not at all.

What's Procon-ten?!

I remember the stickers, but never knew what it meant. Wikipedia says:

The procon-ten system used thick cables, similar to winch cables, running around the rear of the engine, and linked to it. In the event of a frontal impact, the force and momentum of the impact would shift the engine rearwards, tensioning and 'pulling' the cables, which were in turn connected to the steering column and seat belt mounts. When the cable was pulled tight by the engine, the cables would pull the steering wheel towards the front of the car, clear of the driver, and also remove any slack in the seat belts, holding the occupants more firmly in their seats until the accident had finished.

Procon-ten was an option on 80s but it might even have been standard on 90s.

'm no Audi fan but that dash looks nice. Do others here share my view that dashboards from this era look far better than most modern toss ?

Yes.

Have you checked behind the front bumper for the 'tailgateomatic' magnets?

Thing is, Audis of this era were the classy, restrained choice.  The arseholes didn't buy them until the A4 started looking all pointy and aggressive like a Star Wars storm trooper with PMT.

My H plate 90 had Procon Ten because it took me fucking ages of twatting around with a steel cable to get the steering column to move, in the end I just drove it to a garage with the column unbolted and got them to finish it.

Headunit power: Swap 4 and 7 inside connector (car side) and radio goes on and off with key.

KX? No cat? Later ones were NG and were used until end of production of the 100, great engine as well.

First owner was quite tight, 90 without AC OR sunroof is really rare! No headlight washers, no bum-heater, which boxes did he tick at all?

Had the pleasure of having a ride in a 1990 demonstrator quite often by that time, a blue 90 quattro 20V with all options exept leather. A dream! Went like a rocket and the interior was a dream, all the toys and THAT velour! Pricetag: 64.000DM which bought you 2 Audi 80 1,8S.

Great looking car, for nowt as well.

Love the off beat burbling noise these 5 pots make, the smooth* 6 cylinder diesel from the same engine family makes a similar burble - both are in the top 5 engine noise list in my head.

Something for your Top 5:

I had a 2,2 KX Passat for many years, only kept it alive because of that engine.

Ah, I wonder if that's what mine has, It makes a hell of a noise after you turned the engine off from these fan bearings. Is it needed?.

Only when maximum GLFery has been achieved. She'll be right without it.