Mondeo FD52CXG R.I.P

Felly Magic

I sold my 2.0 Ghia MK3 to a friend back in Feb, completely changed my opinion of Fords (for the better) was a nice car to drive. Said friend has already moved it on and I drove him to collect his new car in it, was still nice jumping in it after my daily modern BMW. 

• 10 months later...

Well a thread update, this has now done almost 20k since last March, and barring needing a new coolant header tank virtually straight away, it's had it's first major bill, a rear wheel bearing decided to give up the ghost big style, so a new rear hub was needed, plus the front tyres were near the limit, and the PAS fluid needed topping up. It does use a bit of oil, which is common on the 1.8, MOT due in 10 days, it's not done too bad really for a £500 motor, everything barring the fag lighter still works, seems to be averaging mid 30s mpg as well on the Mrs' commute

Yup it's working hard on the daily commute, and hasn't had any FTP's since the coolant leak not after we got it, over all it has cost less than 3 months finance on a shiny motor, and now it's back to driving like a good un, I laugh that it has more toys than the FiL's facelift mk3 that is 05 plate, he's had to have a rear wheel bearing on his recently, his has similar miles to ours. It's getting a clean up before MOT, as sadly the Mrs treats it like a skip. 

The wheel bearings a common fault, pattern bearings are only £30 or so. Easy enough job as well.

As you say the 1.8 does like a drink of oil, it's usually the oil control rings, it's not something that's worth worrying about, just keep topping it up until it starts becoming a problem on the MOT for the emissions.

They're a decent car those Mondeos, proper bangernomics!!

Sadly due to health, I have to resort to having work done by a garage, swmbo didn't tell me she'd booked it in with Hadleigh Tyres in the town, who I think did bum rape her a bit for 2 tyres, PAS top up and a rear hub, because they aren't the cheapest garage around. If I manage to get my licence back though it will have to be replaced with an auto, shame, as it is a really nice car

• 1 year later...

Major update, last September this had a major FTP, fuel pump dead, towed in, fuel pump replaced with an alleged good used, car again suffered a FTP, this coincided with a major health meltdown of my other half, the car had been stood since October, as we simply could not afford to get the fuel system fault investigated, the MOT has since lapsed, it needed tyres, and there was an occasional rattle from the bottom end, and it started using oil,so it was finally time to call it a day. It was collected this lunchtime by a local scrappy, and as he was loading it, it sounded like a front spring went ptwang. Got £130 for it, we got just over 32k out of it in under 2 years motoring, and it was nearly all motorway work, it was an effortless cruiser. We are now currently car-less for the first time in almost 20 years. It was a cheap car, that served it's purpose, it's now on it's way to becoming a fridge or washing machine

FD52CXG R.I.P

It got a real hammering under our ownership, a 45 mile commute each way 5 days a week, and when I drove it, it got thrashed, I think we got our moneys worth out of it, in all of the 2 and a bit years ownership it cost very little, it just got on with the job, it wouldn't have passed it's MOT without a fair bit of money throwing at it, so time was called, We rarely need a car atm, I can travel for grastis on buses after half 9, and for hospital appointments (of which there are many) I use NHS patient transport services for free. Yes there have been times when we really needed a car, but we used local minicab firms instead, who are bloody cheap, anywhere in the local boundary is just £5. Buses for her to town are cheap enough at £2.50 return, and there isn't the hassle of parking and paying to park. Currently going through the motions with the DWP and may end up on higher rate mobility. Will see what the future holds

Currently going through the motions with the DWP and may end up on higher rate mobility. Will see what the future holds

Go for it, a free car is like a monthly tax refund :D

My sisters son is Autistic , they get a just add petrol car , everything paid for , I'm not really sure why as they can afford a car and he doesn't have any mobility issues

We get the low level mobility DLA for my autistic daughter, as I think from memory the criteria are wider than just physical impairment.

However, I should add, we don't get a car :-). My daughter is happy enough in my old Mondy!

edit: sorry to see the old thing go Felly, but a weight off your mind?