Mondeo FD52CXG R.I.P

Felly Magic

The tyres are cheap, for some budgets you are looking at £45-50 a piece. The rear calipers are troublesome, winding them in and out on the service might prevent this. Big thing with the 1.8 is to change the oil regular, otherwise the oil control rings gum up with inevitable results. I've had one of these for a few years, nice cars.

It has done over 500 miles since Tuesday, had a very minor FTP due to low coolant. The expansion tank had a couple of small cracks in, age related, and not uncommon, new expansion tank sourced from John Grose as I needed one pronto, and they were comparable to ebay prices, didn't want to risk a used example as it may do just the same, took all of 15 mins to swap over, the clips were being a sod, and just 2 bolts held it to the inner wing. It's an effortless cruiser, rock steady even at *cough* mph, nice cold aircon, and not too bad on juice, averaged a smidge over 40 mpg for mixed driving

Mondeo 2001-2007, 1.8L Duratec HE SFI (125PS), Neptune Green (Metallic)

VIN Number: WF05X+++++++++++++

Registration Number: FD52CXG

First Registration Date: 31.12.2002

Registration Country: GB

Build Date: 14.08.2002

Vehicle Line: Mondeo 2001-2007

Body Style: 5 Door Saloon

Version: Series 20

Engine: 1.8L Duratec HE SFI (125PS)

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Trans - MTX75

Drive: RHD FWD

Axle Ratio: 4.06

Emission: 2000 EEC (EEC 7)

Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning

Territory: (+)"GB"

Paint: Neptune Green (Metallic)

Interior Colour: Radiant Red

Interior Fabric: Zeus

Minor Features

• Genk Plant Build

• Marketing Level 1

• Less Ambient Temp/Speed Pack

• Less Dress Up RSO

• (-) SVP

• VP Application Label

• Power Front Windows One Touch Down

• Power Rear Window One Shot Up/Down

• With Heated Windscreen

• Interior Partition - Dog Guard

• Less Roof Rack

• With Dipping Rear View Mirror

• Dual Power Heated Exterior Mirrors

• With Body Coloured Exterior Mirror

• Less Temp Control Driver Seat

• Less Temp Control Passengers Seat

• Less Child Intergrated Seat

• With Driver 2 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster

• Less Trailer Coupling

• With Rear Window Wiper/Washer

• With Heated Washer Jet

• Less Headlamp Washer/Wiper

• Less Sun Roof

• Air Curtain Restrnt LH

• Air Curtain Restrnt RH

• Deployable Anti-W'Lash Restr

• With Smart Drivers Airbag Restraint

• With Smart Passngr Airbag Restraint

• With Side Air Bag - Drivers Side

• With Side Air Bag - Passenger Side

• With Steel Spare Wheel

• With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers

• 6.5 X 16" Steel Road Wheel

• 205/55VR-16 BSW Tyre

• With Conventional Spare Tyre

• With Standard Suspension

• With Brake Emergency Assist

• 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System

• Less Speed Control

• Less Fuel Computer

• Less Reverse Proximity Sensor

• With Perimeter Anti-Theft

• Less Auxiliary Compact Disc Player

• 6000CD RDS EON

• Ice Feature Pack 4

• Ice Feature Pack 80

• Ice Feature Pack 82

• Less Diversity Antenna

• CD Storage Box

• With 4 Speakers

• Less Telephone Preparation Pack

• Less Family Entertainment System

• With Column Stalk Radio Controls

• With Halogen Headlamp

• Less Front Fog Lamps

• With Manual Headlamp Levelling

That's got everything on it anybody could ever realistically need. I remember when all the journos were moistening their slacks when these were launched, saying things like "Don't buy that new A4 until you've seen Fords New Audi Beater".

How times change.

BTW I noticed when working on it on Saturday, very recent front springs! Billy Bonus or what? Might sack off the plates at some point with some DMB John Grose plates. Didn't realise the rear child locks were on until yesterday when the mother inlaw couldn't get out when we went down to Jaywick for a walk along the beach. Didn't realise it had an alarm on until I popped the bonnet with the doors locked. 

The only thing I miss is being able to connect my phone up to the stereo for much MP3ness, back to CDs. 

It has done over 500 miles since Tuesday, had a very minor FTP due to low coolant. The expansion tank had a couple of small cracks in, age related, and not uncommon, new expansion tank sourced from John Grose as I needed one pronto, and they were comparable to ebay prices, didn't want to risk a used example as it may do just the same, took all of 15 mins to swap over, the clips were being a sod, and just 2 bolts held it to the inner wing. It's an effortless cruiser, rock steady even at *cough* mph, nice cold aircon, and not too bad on juice, averaged a smidge over 40 mpg for mixed driving

Wasn't worth buying a second hand expansion tank as you say. It certainly sounds like you've landed on your feet with this car.

• 2 weeks later...

It's now passed the 1200 mile mark in our custodianship already, had to do 3 runs to Gt Yarmouth in the last week by swmbo whilst I was in hospital there, which racked up the miles a fair bit more. She is treating it like a skip though, GRRRRR

I shall read the handbook to see if I can change it to eurobabble

From memory, the wee plunger (like trip reset but other side) does that.

Good job the springs are done cos mine was a bastard - loosen front subframe to remove strut, then my tough but old school sykes-pickavant spring compressors wouldn't move them enough so had to take the strut to the garage where he used the new air ones he'd just bought.

One thing made me smile though, the bracket for the front brakeline was stamped Jaguar.

That's got everything on it anybody could ever realistically need. I remember when all the journos were moistening their slacks when these were launched, saying things like "Don't buy that new A4 until you've seen Fords New Audi Beater".

How times change.

Not really, A4 was a boring steer then, I bet they still are compared to current Mondy.

From memory, the wee plunger (like trip reset but other side) does that.

Good job the springs are done cos mine was a bastard - loosen front subframe to remove strut, then my tough but old school sykes-pickavant spring compressors wouldn't move them enough so had to take the strut to the garage where he used the new air ones he'd just bought.

One thing made me smile though, the bracket for the front brakeline was stamped Jaguar.

For future referance, the front subframe can stay where it is... All I do is drop the lower arm off, ARB link and driveshaft out..... then undo the 3 top nuts holding the strut in place then out she cometh.

My first MK3 was an LX. They are suprisingly well catered for compared to other base models. Heated front screen, air con, Cd player and electric windows all round (until 53 plate where they put windy handles in the back). But alas, I upgraded mine significantly with Ghia trim, ST half leather and zetec alloys. I then had a Zetec 05 plate 115 tdci, which I later traded in for a 55 plate ST, which got wrote off. Then a 55 plate Titanium, Now im back onto an 06 plate ST again. Love the mondeo mk3...... and Ive got a shed load of ST parts.

funnily enough, Im breaking an ST, if you want any bits ..... wink wink. . . .

Just missed out on a set of Zetec alloys for it, as whilst I was in hospital, the FiL's X plate Zetec had a bit of a FTP after he hit some debris that fell from a car roof, so he's quickly chopped it in for...another Mondeo mk3