Volvo V70. £350. Sold.

Tetleysmooth

Did they change them up by model maybe?

I had an 850 on 15s. Did the move them up on the V70 etc?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252433209972

I'm sure it had 16" Columba wheels, which were standard on all 850 T5s (except R) and run-out GLT models. They didn't have the big brakes, which don't fit with Columba wheels. The V70 T5 came with 16" Perfo wheels which looked identical to Columba at first glance but have an angle in the spokes where Columbas have a curve. The big brakes do fit under Perfos and I think they were standard on the V70 T5.

That set in your link is actually two Columba and two Perfo. Both the 850 saloon in the Autotrader link and the wheels in the Ebay link are incorrectly described as "R", R variants came with 17" wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you know, this insurance malarky is a pain in the arse. Just for the heck of it I phoned FJ and asked for a quote on the Volvo. They couldn't do it because it wasn't 20 years old or older. Sound familiar?

HOWEVER, if I was a member of the VOC, they would then happily insure it under a classic policy.

The premium would then be a massive £87.34. Fully comp with a 2K mileage limitation.

VOC membership: £35.

It's all a load of bollocks.....

I had the Iveco bus insured with A Flux,as they were the only company who would cover it as an ongoing camper conversion

Cost a reasonable £300 for the year as they mirrored my cars full ncb,even though it's with someone else

Sold that last week and bought a Vivaro lwb that was too cheap to turn down...

Ring up to change the vehicle and they wanted an Extra £145 for a bog std van.....

Went online with the meerkats and got it all sorted for £203 all in.......feck you fluxy

How has this not been bought yet? Its been for sale for months at increasingly reasonable prices, seems to be a good car and prime candidate for daily transport for a shiter, yet still no takers?

If I were closer etc.... No seriously, if I werent over here I would have this without hesitation.

Partly my own fault really.

I didn't have anything in the crosshairs to replace it with. Every time a T5 or a 2.5t came along, I was too late because I couldn't sell this one in time, so I had to carry on using it. And so on, and so on....

However, I now have a 2.5t in my front garden  waiting to be used.......

There's a lad on the Volvo forum who sounds like he really wants it as he has turbo trouble with his V70. He was going to come here tomorrow, but yesterday his wife went into labour, and another little Volvo fan will be making an appearance soon, so his visit tomorrow has been postponed. Looks like he'll be coming Wednesday now. If not, then I'll offer it to the next in line, who is.........

I've been using one of these for the last 10ish months, mine is a diesel but they are incredibly handy things because:

Comfortable

Quick enough

Incredibly roomy therefore very useful

Seem to be reliable (mine has just done 1500 miles around France and 15,000 since I bought it)

Just old enough to be simple

A flippin' brilliant stereo

They even handle quite well, I had Michelins on the front which were getting a bit thin so I changed to Goodyears.  The new tyres are quieter and their ultimate grip isn't quite as much but it handles very neatly.  On the old Michelins it was amazing, it used to stick like chewing gum to the cat.

Verdict: If you don't have much time for faffing about with old cars but you want an old car that does almost everything, one of these Phase 1 V70s is ace.