Volvo V70. £350. Sold.

Tetleysmooth

For the last couple of days, I've been wondering wether to put this up for sale, because it's one of those cars I've really bonded with, but I've been offered another Volvo which I'd be silly to turn down.

My P reg V70 2.5 20 valve 170 bhp.

MOT until the 11th of June.

It's a sort of smoky silver with black leather.

It's the cd version.

Uses no fluids. Does not overheat - ever.

Drives as solid as a rock at speed.

It has some not so good bits.

Headlamp levellers don't work.

Cruise doesn't work. I did replace the column stalk, but that didn't cure it. I haven't investigated further, because it really doesn't bother me.

It has the later XLT  wheels on it with matching Continental winter contact tyres. The rear tyres look like they've been run under inflated, because there's less tread around the edges than the centre. I bought them like this and have been using them since last October. The original wheels are still available if you prefer those.

Slight shimmy when braking, although the previous owner told me it had new front discs and pads just before I bought it.

Could do with a belt sooner rather than later. I have a new alternator/power steering belt for it here, just haven't had the time to fit it yet.

It failed its last mot on outer cv boots and a useless handbrake. The garage did the cv boots for me and I did the handbrake with new shoes, and I cleaned and greased the expanders. I got it up to mot standard, but it may need further fettling, because it's still not brilliant

A stone hit the windscreen a couple of weeks ago. No cracks, but it made a perfectly round mark low down in the A zone. I'm going to contact my insurance to see about getting this sorted.

It has a new battery after a FTP at Stansted airport a fortnight or so ago.

Sunroof/windows and other toys work ok. It has a fancy aftermarket alarm system. Works well.

Load cover fitted. It has a full size steel spare.

These photos were taken last August in a very dusty field. The beast really does shine up nice.

If no one wants it, I won't be heartbroken, because I'm very much in two minds wether to let it go.

070_zpsvji1ivgt.jpg

065_zpslmco9oxs.jpg

064_zpsmfmhukjq.jpg

059_zpsn1xmtcvn.jpg

058_zpska3oexpz.jpg

066_zpsymmuoqtq.jpg

And here's just one with the later wheels on:

086_zps32diiprk.jpg

So, there you go. Any questions, just ask, but please bear in mind I work nights, so may take a while answering.

Oh, by the way, mileage is a tad north of 166k.

Service history lost by previous owner.

The 170s feel quite a bit quicker around the doors than the T5, especially in auto form. Much better low down torque, even the 140 auto I had was I reckon faster to 30 than my T5 auto...

I really don't think there's been a better car built in the last 20 years, occasional wishbone swaps, rattly tailgates and short range on the remote c/l (and sometimes alarms with a mind of their own) are the only real issues these have. Proper solidly built things, I'd be interested except you're at the opposite corner of the country and I already have the ultimate version of this model so GLWTS!

I'm going to say the normal annoying thing of this would be perfect for me in two months time when I will need a Volvo estate/when I will have money/when I duly kill myself after smashing my head against a brick wall until my brains come out of my eye sockets which is what all people like me should do because messers are the scum of the earth. 

It's even in the colour I like and has the alloys I like

But no money no friends/no Volvo

Guest Hooli

If I hadn't been given a goona I'd be interested. Always liked the 170 V70s in the proper box shape. I remember driving them new & thinking they'd last forever, the later ones never felt like that.

• 1 month later...

I live in Rainham, Essex and work in Thurrock, a journey of about 10-15 minutes normally.

Last Friday, it took me two and a half hours to get to work, a combination of Bank Holiday traffic and roadworks at Junction 30, M25.

The whole area was gridlocked. This V70 didn't miss a beat, the temp needle stayed bang in the centre of the guage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would sell this if I could find something decent enough to replace it.

I've found a couple of T5's and an AWD turbo, but they've either had smoky engines or manual boxes, neither of which are any good to me.

Now, if I were brave enough.......

850R_zpsufyzo8ws.jpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607085661239?search-target=usedcars&make=volvo&page=1&radius=1500&postcode=rm139al&sort=default&onesearchad=used&logcode=p&adPos=8

Thing is, it states in the ad it has 15 inch alloys. I always thought T5's had 16's because they had the bigger 302mm brakes, whereas the rest, like mine had 280mm brakes. Maybe just a typo, but hmmmm?