Initiation...

Mike D

Mileage? my 635 is on 290k -original engine. Anyone better that?

One of my shite recovery vehicles a few years back was £75-worth of 1988 Volvo 740 estate. I towed dozens of cars home with that old crate, from Standard Ten to Saab 900. I finally scrapped it when the fuel pump packed up at just past 338,000 miles. Still on its original engine and box, and ran perfectly apart from the usual Volvo camsahft noise and a slightly temperamental overdrive. Great cars. My Leyland Roadrunner had done about 610,000 miles, but that doesn't count 'cos it was a lorry.

BMW 635 is the only BMW i would buy, i think its the only one you can drive without people thinking your a twunk.. sorry pog..

I dunno, I think a nice early lower-end E28 or E12 in a sensible colour has a certain amount of class to it. I do agree that a 635CSi is the ultimate Beemer though - I should never have sold mine. :(

Never (yet) owned a Six but agree an E28 is a lovely motor.Petrol cars - highest I've had (as custodian) was my brother's '90 Volvo 740 (pattern emerging here), dash clocks had been changed but by carbon dating the old MOT's I reckon it had done at least 230,000. And it still ran perfectly, no rust, lovely broken-in leather. F****d headlining as usual though.

'86 205 GLD, was the only car i've had that had done over 200k, was an ex chinese takeaway delivery motor, bought for £50, did a 100 mile return commute in it everyday, possibly my favorite car ever..my old 850 estate (which Torsten owns now) was on its way to 200k, think that Volvos are the best mileage motors. Although, yet to own an S class merc......