My Corsa B: Doubty McDoubtface

Split_Pin

Sounds like an air lock to me, I've had similar in the past. What makes you think hgf?

I drove a 3 pot Corsa like that for a few weeks back when it was nearly new. Always surprised me how up and down the temp gauge was. It'd shoot up if I came off the motorway and stopped at a traffic light but always came down again.

It really must be a Vauxhall thing. My Vectra's temp gauge barely ever registered at all, no matter how long the journey, but as you said, come off the motorway or something and it would rise, then go back down again.

Yes definitely the thermostat. He had all sorts of clinical looking equipment attached to the header tank. One test for Co2, fluid on the test tube stayed blue which was good and also pressure tested it, nothing excessive. Tell you what though, I've sorted the misfire, he was revving it quite a bit to test the circulation of the coolant and it sounded healthy again:

It always makes me laugh that ( especially on here) that as soon as a car overheats it's assumed to be omghgf . Overheating is a secondary symptom of hgf - usually once the car has pushed al it's coolant out of the overflow or into the sump . Many many less serious causes of overheating ime

Ok so I simply had no more spare time to devote to getting this car ship shape and I can't keep cadging a lift forever so I telephoned my usual garage and booked it in to get the thermostat and radiator fan switch replaced and also get them to do an oil change. I normally do this myself every 6 months but the oil and filter had been sitting there for ages. The sumo plug was starting to get a bit chewed looking so I bought a new one also.

The car actually drove grand on the 8 or 9 miles to the garage, other than the temp guage barely rising off stone cold due to the clamped open thermostat, which was expected. Not much in the way of a heater as a result so I was freezing by the time I reached the garage!

Called them yesterday afternoon just to check how things went, new parts fitted and engine is now running all hunky-dory.

I pick it up later today, hopefully it will work without ftp now for another 6 years.

The AA patrolman commented that it was a braw wee car and a nice colour so I'm not going to bother getting it resprayed this year. I will have the spoiler resprayed as it was rattle canned by me 5 years ago and the lacquer has all peeled off now. The rear valance also requires a small amount of remedial action.

Think I will get a local valeter come out and give it a polish, just don't have the time these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving home and after a week of the Corsa driving ok it just completely cut out on me. I got it restarted but the engine was tapping from the top end like fuck. Drove a mile and it cleared and by the time it got home it was running sweet as a nut. Please help, no idea what is wrong 😕😕😕

A short term rattle from the top which goes away can only really be a hydraulic tappet blocked up with something which then clears.  This might well go with an oil change, especially if it was a bit overdue (sorry).  Or perhaps the timing chain tensioner having the same issue?

Not that likely to cause it to cut out though.   Trouble with faults that have gone away is working out what happened of course!

Sorry posted twice so am now editing this.

By the way, if this AA man is so convincing, could I borrow him to tell my wife that her car is ok and that she doesn't need another one?  Might be a few of us who would need his services.

Mind you, it is a great colour, I really agree and perhaps an unusual one too - and I always did like Corsa Bs especially the looks!

Ha yeah he was a proper old school fella, never gave up!

The general consensus seems to be that it's something getting stuck, possibly cut out if the engine management got involved.

Thing is I change the oil every 6 months and it had one last week in the button. However it only does short journeys so that could be something.

The other thing to mention is that when it is stationary and you blip the throttle, there is an ever so slight hiss from a tiny bellow that rests against the pivot that the throttle cable is connected to. At this point it ever so slightly hesitates, however it's not noticeable when driving. Is vacuum something that is even a thing on modern cars any more?

I now have the Astra Coupe back on the road, it's running well however it has its own mystery electrical problem. The rear foglight refuses to work. The bulb has been changed and the amber light comes on the dash when you press the button. Stumped.

Anyhow it's nice to be mobile again.

In other news, I was going to buy another Corsa from a guy in Glenrothes for the engine. It has MOT till June and only 60k, he said it ran sweet. It had advisories for holed floor pans in its last MOT so I wouldn't even have felt bad for breaking it. However the seller was mega pushy. I arranged to go and see it tonight but I would be on my own with no way of collecting it until the weekend when my wife could give me a lift. He needed rid of it so fast that he wanted me to pay for it right away and then come back for it. I presume he needed to tax his other car which was coming back from the garage. Cba with all that so I canned it.

Spoke to the garage yesterday about the Corsa so they said just leave it with them and they will investigate . No hurry to get it back, they often have some long term residents there.

• 2 weeks later...

Corsa started right up tonight no bother but it is still 'missing' once when the throttle is blipped, hopefully the video picks this up. Sorry for the crap exhaust, it really isn't like that, the garage acts like an amplifier.

This is the inly manifestation of what I feel is a more serious problem. I cannot read fault codes as it has OBD 1 software with an OBD2 port and the paperclip test doesn't work on 1.0s and 1.2s.

• 2 weeks later...

Started it up again tonight, fired up ok but there was previously a barely imperceptible top end knock which has become slightly louder and doesn't go away when warmed up. When you Rev the engine it doesn't appear to get louder however and the general noise drowns it out. You know that feeling you get when your dog or cat starts acting a little strangely and you just 'know' that it's time is up? That's how I am viewing this engine just now.

Also, what the heck is the white stuff all over the rocker cover, it feels like emulsified washing powder??

post-3238-0-17026300-1463165996_thumb.jpeg