A35 in black.

cros

Here it is, stuffed in my shed so tight it has to be winkled out with a trolley jack under the rear axle.

My wife has owned the car for about 11 years and used it for work until she retired. It has Frontline suspension (predictably on the front) which means telescopic adjustable dampers and a more rigid set up. There are Midget discs and the wheels are also from that car. The rear axle is a 3.9:1 instead of the original miserable gearing. It used to happily pull a 3.7:1 but that diff broke and are not so easy to find. The present diff also whines, thats the lottery of fitting used parts.

Pulling happily at the diff via a ribbed gearbox is a 1098 Minor engine with a late 1275 head which was unleaded. The block has been 'pocketed' to accomodate this mod. Carb is a late type SU on a water heated manifold with a KN filter. Ignition is electronic, exhaust is stainless with midget silencer. All gentle stuff which means an easy 80 and 50mpg. I did fully rebuilt properly the engine during our ownership with decent parts and it runs well with no smoking and using of the oil. I also rewired it using relays and proper amounts of fuses to avoid being plunged into darkness when the original switches got overloaded by the very decent Quadoptic headlamps.

Inside is standard A 35 except temp gauge, hazard and fog lamp switches, and radio CD player which are all fairly well hidden from view. It has a heater and seat belts. Best bits are the seats and trim, full leather and a very nice job too. The photos are crap but the seats are really superb and were done by a local car trimmer. Door cards likewise, on ply backing. My wife machined up and replaced the headlining with proper wool stuff, a pig of a job to fit, but the result is very good.

The shameful bit is the paint. There is a story as to why it's been recently very badly sprayed black which I'm not telling here, but it is truly shite. Bodywork is mostly good with a few small issues. What little chrome it has is OK except the bumpers which are not wonderful.

Enough info to determine whether you're interested or not. I don't have the bits to put it back to standard, but if you want one that bounces along and is screaming at 55 there are plenty out there.

post-7547-0-20298200-1458047139_thumb.jpg

post-7547-0-43255100-1458051436_thumb.jpg

post-7547-0-35948400-1458051607_thumb.jpg

post-7547-0-17673100-1458051969_thumb.jpg

post-7547-0-33840300-1458052028_thumb.jpg

Is this really all these are worth?

Its a 1958 and £1500 is what I want for it as it is- out of the shed, running, drive it away. As I said the paint wants sorting for it to be proudly entered at the car show, but I've never been into all that.

One thing I should mention is that I've twice had to spend a night sleeping on the A35's back seat and though not mentioned in road tests, its more than a little cramped for a good nights snooze. I'd booked a hotel near Heathrow one night in the summer of 2014 and just before I arrived I idly looked at TripAdvisor. With hindsight I should done this prior to making the reservation as two reviewers had encountered bed bugs. With nowhere else available in this horribly overcrowded part of the country the Austin had to suffice.

I got eaten alive by these irritating little fuckers once before in a remote Spanish hotel 35 years ago, but I'd kip in the cab of a Bedford Rascal rather than have it happen again.