Last Monday, on the way home, Herman decided to dump a lot of coolant and start overheating.
Mercifully, it happened less than 300yds from home and it was all downhill, so the coolant temperature peaked at around 107c. So no danger to the engine, just clouds of coolant steam emanating from the engine.
I already knew what this would be, thanks to TwoSmoke pointing out a small hairline crack in the thermostat housing, and I finally had time to change it this week anyway, so it only needed to hold on for a couple more days, typical!
So, on Tuesday, I dedicated some time to Herman.
First, I tried seeing if he'll fit in the garage with the Mini still in. Not a chance, but nice to see he would fit if the Mini was out.
Unfortunately, there's only a few inches either side of Herman when parked in the doorway, which makes getting in and out a bit of a pain.
Still, in and bonnet up.
Viscous fan got disconnected, as did the expansion tank top hose and the radiator shroud, all came off with minimal fuss, but a lot of wiggling and twisting.
Then, it's simply a case of removing an engine lifting point, and three other bolts and the thermostat housing is finally free! Old Vs new for comparison, the hairline crack was adjacent to the bleed point. Luckily, I had the housing on the shelf ready to go.
Whilst everything was out, seemed daft not to change the auxiliary drive belt and air con drive belt. Never done one on a transverse engine, and I bloody loved it. So much space, compared to the Rover 75 diesel I did before.
Long overdue though!
Thermostat housing was refitted.
All components got refitted and coolant replaced and bled. Weirdly, the heater doesn't seem to be as ferocious as it used to be, but it is when set to windscreen defrost mode. Coolant temperature is bang on and it's not losing any so that's fine.
Be daft whilst it's in here not to give it a service, especially with the parts on the shelf. I've detailed what I do on a service earlier in this thread.
Whilst the engine cover was off, I cleaned it.
Finally, in 33k of owning this motor, I've never changed the front pads on it. There was still 3mm on the pads, but there was a set on the shelf in the garage ready to go.
Another piece of cake, the brembo four pot pistons were easy to rewind back, and all sliding areas were lubricated.
Finally, the old girl was hauled out onto the driveway, finished.
I always jot down on a receipt the work done. I know it's not as authentic as a service history stamp, but it's good for me to keep track.
The following morning, Herman got a wash too.
So Herman is good for another year, the MOT is due in January, and I can't foresee any obstacles to that either.
Cheers for reading.