Fatharris' bargain basement barge (HermanTheGerman)

fatharris

I did see this one, it's a good spec and colour and reasonably priced.

Because everything got changed around, yesterday I took the SAAB instead. Went well.

6380029163553ebe4810dc6f3648c36c.jpg

ed4f2661cf7ff111f97be2ee046b11d8.jpg

Eagle-eyed viewers will notice the cable ties holding the mirror glass in place. This had a limited success. Still, so far it's averaged 33mpg.

Meanwhile, our courtesy car arrived. Little bit tactless from the company.

a8d2eb464abc93c04ce1f8186dc97f02.jpg

Yep, a newer version of what smashed into Herman. To top it off, MrsH can't work out how to move it forward so it had to stay on the driveway until I get home tonight.

I asked the internets. Apparently, the door has to be shut, seatbelt on, handbrake off along with foot on the brake. What a bloody ballache. MrsH can't get in it comfortably anyway so it's staying where it is for the minute.

Luckily, a friend has volunteered to visit MrsH and move it for her so she can get her Rover on the drive. She's been to minor injuries today and been given bloody Tramadol! Poor girl.

18k on the clock. I've moved it during the driveway shuffle and it's bloody horrible. Too chintzy and cramped, and for an executive car, it doesn't even have parking sensors. I'm still going to be using it as I've piled the miles on the SAAB these last two days and I'm on a mileage limited policy.

To top it off, I missed a call from the insurers today. Joy.

• 2 weeks later...

A smoll update.

They're not collecting the car because by my description, it's going to be written off, so Herman remains on the driveway, with an assessor coming out on the 3rd. I had a body shop quote for repairs, and I got a quote of £3.5k, which is depressing.

Meanwhile, MrsH couldn't get on with the harsh ride and the low seats in the Merc, so we've sent it back, and spun the roulette wheel for another courtesy car.

2345d0845e323706d5882a43bc150668.jpg

Sometimes it pays to gamble, it's excellent. Only negatives are the fact it takes Adblue which I didn't realise was a passenger car thing these days, and the spare wheel well houses the battery. First time I've seen that too.

An assessor - expecting to write it off - coming out on the third?! If you were due them money, would they be happy with you telling them that you were on holiday for 10 days and you'd be in touch afterwards. They do anything to avoid or delay paying. To be honest, he doesn't even need to see it. One photo of the rear shows it to be a write off.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another small update!

I've had the assessor out, and he agreed it was very much worth top book value, plus a little bit more for the low mileage.

He reckons Cat C, £1780 value and he agrees that it should be bought back!

All of this means that I will be repairing Herman and returning him to the road at some point!

So, so chuffed with that.

Tree would have been a good shout if the MOT hadn't run out today! Professional* kit of good* reputation from a well-known*, established* eBay seller has been purchased. Unfortunately, this has come at an inopportune moment as I'll be balls deep in work matters for a while, but he's tucked away in a corner of the driveway ready for my next move.

I did get sad whilst Herman sat there and picked up the tools on this after two years of ignoring it:

b4a5c6a632210b279756b93672eb16a9.jpg

That's on the back burner again, but I will still chip away at it occasionally.

• 2 months later...

An update.

I've been busy with a porta power pressing out the spare wheel well. It's by no means perfect, but i can get a spare wheel back in so it'll do for now. Two pallets worth of parts are inbound from BavarianRetro, including a replacement boot floor, which i will look into replacing when the weather improves. Plan is to replace the bumper, de-kink the exhaust and punt him through an MOT to get him moving again for now.

Some pictures of yesterday's straightening attempt - luckily the alloys didn't end up egg-shaped!

dfc4dcf130a1141659ca1189bda4f244.jpg

3db1b4e7ec94fdae821e6b89784b707a.jpg

Rope looped through the grommet holes. They did end up elongated slightly after this so I'll patch them up for now.

a7fd4d7f32a24fa9c78786aaa624e1e8.jpg

a40f44f14f3e992c6e8fef72a8ea45e5.jpg

Chocked and locked!

aaba53b5f77afeed3ab1cb5b850638fc.jpg

19b131ba5ce29cccfadc727af11e2043.jpg

Not by any means perfect, but liveable for now.

Big update coming soon, hopefully.