Peugeot resurrection...

Dukestar25

I've decided (due to extreme boredom plus lots of cheap spares on e-bay at the moment) to re-comission my old 106. It's been laid up for some time due to a clutch fault which I never got around to doing plus other stuff.Anyway, I suspected the head gasket was on it's way at the same time but I'm now unsure, I will explain...The car starts on 2nd or 3rd attempt and runs pretty well at first. When it gets up to temperature it tries to, and usually does, stall.There is a fair bit of steam from the exhaust which becomes less the longer it runs. It still has oil and water, there is no white stuff on the dipstick, although there is film on the water in the radiator.Sorry it's so long winded but I was hoping some of you good folks would be able to explain what problems it has (especially the stalling. fuel problem??)Thanks

Is it losing water?What does the temperature gauge get up to before it conks out?Does the fan kick in?Any crystalline deposits around hoses/ header tank/ etc?Post back, brother autoshiter.PS do these things run on carbs or SPFi?

A blown head gasket doesn't always cause the oil and water to mix. Does it blow bubbles in the coolant when it's running? To me it sounds like the head is cracked and the crack closes up as the engine heats up but I could be completely wrong.

That's the other fault I was thinking of, which is why I asked what the head was made of.

Is it losing water?What does the temperature gauge get up to before it conks out?Does the fan kick in?Any crystalline deposits around hoses/ header tank/ etc?Post back, brother autoshiter.PS do these things run on carbs or SPFi?

Hi ash... the temperature gets to just below half way up the guage before it starts to fight, the fan does not kick in at all. The car is a K-reg (1993) so is single-point injected rather than carbed. Since I started this thread, I have noticed some blue crystals at where I presume is the thermo housing is so could this be the problem? :? In answer to other questions, it doesn't lose water, the radiator seems good as do the hoses, and the oil shows no trace of any water cross-contamination. I'm not sure what the head is made of (apart from Wensleydale :lol: ) but the engine is the 1360cc 8v type.It has only covered 57k and is historied up to 44K which includes an invoice for, would you believe, a cylinder head skim :shock: !!

hmm, with it having a head skim, it may have had problems before.I would get the fan working, so at least whilst its running it doesn't boil up. Until you source a new switch you could bypass the fan switch so that it runs all the time. It cutting out when it gets up to temp, could be a sensor problem, or even a leaky inlet manifold/gasket, as the engine gets warm it may expand widening the leak. I've foind that it the head gasket is that gone that the engine cuts out/wont start there are normally some other, normally quite serious, signs that it has failed.