Datsin Looroll, MOT & FTPish

nisfan

Some of you may know i purchased this fine automobile,

12764702_763685613765186_297661794937561

On the whole the car is ok, got a couple of issues, one being the lack of overdrive 60mph at 3.5k rpm is not fun!

The car will start no problem but when i go to pull away it stalls and will continue to do so until its warmed up a bit then its totally fine.

The choke seems to be working and is closed when cold.

Also the power steering is notchy when turning on the spot, hope a fluid change will cure this as a lot of bits are rocking unicorn shit full of hens teeth with blue moons on them with pigs flying past rare.

Any of you fine people got an idea of whats up?

Give the carb a good dousing with carb cleaner first. Avoid spraying any of the vacuum diaphragms though. It must have been sitting around for awhile, judging by the description. The steering is a bit odd though. If there are zerk fittings grease 'em. If not, I recommended an Italian tune-up. If all else fails hammer a bigger Nissan over it.

&c.

it has a big engine with many cylinders 2.4, carburation comes in the form of hitachi/nikki or maybe kenwood/goodmans. As stated a lack of overdrive would mean it is missing a third pedal!

An italian tune up has been performed and wasnt succesful, it was running rough when bought but new fuel solved that just left with these 2 problems.

Mike's pop-up headlight Prelude did the same rough-until-hot thing, turned out it was just some worn out vacuum hoses which are all universal type things and cheap to replace, just fiddly as anything because there were lots.  That's where I'd be looking first, especially if it's been laid up a while as has been hinted at above.

A 2.4? I thought you said it was a big engine?? [/cheeky Yank mode]

Vacuum leaks, yes. A can of carb cleaner and several feet of vacuum hose. Probably a new PCV valve too, while you're at it. It'll be something simple, I'm sure. A new fuel filter won't hurt either.

Has it got a u/j in the steering column? They often seize if left unused - to be honest, they often seize full stop! They definitely give a notchy feel to the steering.

Carb, as has been said, vacuum pipes or diaphragms perish and leak. If you spray carb cleaner around with it running, it may pick up a few revs and point you in the right direction. Do be careful though: fire!

With vac leaks they hunt like anything on idle. Is it doing that?

When it's running like a twat if you put you hand over the the intake does it smooth out?

if you find out let me know as my p6 does the same thing.

The carb should look similar to this.

New-CARB-font-b-Carburetor-b-font-for-fo

Even if it doesn't, it should have that round black thingy with the electric plug.

Now, when the car is cold, i.e. after having been parked overnight, fully step onto the accelerator pedal once.

This should set the choke.

Then slightly losen the three screws holding the black thing, and turn it so that the choke flap is just ever so slightly closed.

I.e., the slightest turn in the other direction causes the flap to move openwards. Tighten those screws. This is your basic setting.

If the car runs too lean during warm up, ever so slightly adjust it to rich and vice versa, you get the concept.

I'm am, it's the autoshite way

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/183801/1985-nissan-bluebird-friday-staffs

I've no idea how to actually be helpful :-)

Damn right it's the autoshite way, I knew you were taking the piss so was i :-) , I've actually seen that whilst being out and about a short while back, it looks worse in the metal.

Has it got a u/j in the steering column? They often seize if left unused - to be honest, they often seize full stop! They definitely give a notchy feel to the steering.

Carb, as has been said, vacuum pipes or diaphragms perish and leak. If you spray carb cleaner around with it running, it may pick up a few revs and point you in the right direction. Do be careful though: fire!

This on the steering.

Change/flush PAS oil anyway as it won't do any harm and it's likely not been done for ages either.

I had a seized steering UJ before that made the steering awfull, stiff and notchy. Jack up the front wheels and get someone to keep turning the steering from lock to lock while you spray WD40 or similar all over the steering joints. Eventually it'll work it's way into the joints and start to free up. Once it's free'd up I sprayed a bit of spray grease type stuff on just to give it some longer lasting lubrication.

The one I had took quite a while before it free'd off but it's worth persevering with, it felt like a different car afterwards.

Also, did you do the obvious?

- New sparking plugs with electrode gaps verified with a feeler gauge

- New plug leads

- New cap and rotor

- New air filter

- New breather filter

- Oil change and new oil filter

- Cleaned or replaced the PCV valve

Agreed, no point fiddling about until it’s had a good service (with genuine/Japanese-made parts wherever possible).

The lack of overdrive on the auto ‘box is why I’m eternally grateful that my older one is a 5-speed manual. Even then it seems a bit undergeared, but I think the L24 engine has a slightly high-pitched sound that gives the impression it’s revving more than it actually is.

Ive only had short timeframes to look at the car in the dark, fitted new dizzy cap, air filter and got new fuel filter to go on and the rest in due course but nothing looks untoward.

It will be thursday before i can have a proper look but tonight it really was running crap even when hot, until i stamped on the pedal and the problem went.

I know you cant really say whats up until all the basics are done which is what im hoping to do on thursday.

Thanks for all the info,its much appreciated and ill go through all the stuff mentioned