captain_cal's Green Oval sanctuary

captain_cal

• 2 months later...

After a MEGA TOW SESH with the Range Rover (which had a duff clutch anyway, and now desperately needs a new one, which is going to cost FIVE HUNDRED FUCKING QUID), the previous objects of my desire are now safely squirreled away:

31323298202_759f3eaf8c_c.jpg

As previously mentioned, the Saab is drinking oil and cuffing out blue smoke, and definitely oil smoke cos it's blue and it stinks. But it only happens at an incredibly specific time: I live at the bottom of a very steep long hill, and there is a nasty corner halfway up. So I can set off smoke-free, and come off the throttle for the corner, but when I get back on it afterwards, the car behind me is enveloped in a haze of smoke.

Now I've spoken to the previous owner and he says he had the intercooler off and found oil in the bottom, so what we reckon is happening is that oil has got in there again and the steep hill is just enough to allow the oil in the intercooler to trickle back into the air intake and get burnt.

So I guess the question I'm asking is, what's the most likely cause of oil in the intercooler? Somebody has mentioned the turbo seals.

I reckon turbo seals.  My Mrs has one of these and loves it, though the turbo did blow in spectacular fashion after going from no smoke, a bit of smoke, to ALL THE SMOKE in less than 15 minutes.  I understand the 'little' turbo (150BHP, no boost guage) is the least reliable.

I reckon turbo seals.  My Mrs has one of these and loves it, though the turbo did blow in spectacular fashion after going from no smoke, a bit of smoke, to ALL THE SMOKE in less than 15 minutes.  I understand the 'little' turbo (150BHP, no boost guage) is the least reliable.

not really, a simple remap gives me a reliable 220bhp. I think only top aero/viggen has a bigger turbo

Ive got an aero turbo here with a brand new uk made core and the coolant/ oil pipes that I am looking to sell !

Can you change an eco warrior into an eco worrier, I would be tempted to buy that as insurance for my Saab if its cheap enough. 

PM me with details if The Captain doesn't want first dibs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone fancy this before I stick it on eBay?

2001 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo Convertible. 

93,000 miles. Shortish MOT till 06/05/2017.

£350

Located in mid Cornwall PL24.

I bought this at the start of last summer and smoked around in it and then stashed it away over the winter. On the first vaguely sunny day we had about two weeks ago I dug it out, got it back on the road.. and decided I prefer my P38.

Good points first:

• It's a real sharp looker in blue, and it goes like fuggin shit off a shovel!
  • Leather interior is in good nick barring a tiny fag burn in passenger doorcard - see pic.
  • Sump drop was done a year ago by the previous owner and the oil and filter was changed 300 miles ago with proper GM-spec stuff.
  • The roof is in full working order, in a lovely shade of blue to match the car, goes up and down with no problems, and is fully waterproof.

It has niggles:

• It has been known to puff out blue smoke occasionally - however since the oil change this seems to have diminished.
  • EML light comes and goes - stuck it on the diagnostics and it came up with a code for a misfire, but doesn't affect running in any way.
  • Runs hot - fan is eager to cut in. Temp gauge never budges though. Used a small amount of water on a 300-mile round trip the other day.
  • Crack in top of driver's windscreen (passed MOT last year).
  • Front tyres are wearing on the inside edge so will need a pair for MOT.

I have been driving it daily and it's been fine. Someone with a little time and more knowhow than me would have it running sweet - I have simply lost interest due to being sucked into a downward spiral of increasingly ropier P38 Range Rovers, which means I am in my element.

33443475425_fa97a84438_h.jpg

33315439091_45e9602501_h.jpg

33315364771_ab002c2054_h.jpg

33287805682_7fac4c5405_h.jpg

33287777892_d7a567ff0b_h.jpg

33443293455_2039d07415_h.jpg

33443258965_9ea18357e5_h.jpg

33060089350_f085be7c36_h.jpg

The turbo grille fitted will be replaced with a standard 9-3 one before sale.

CHEERS

Guest Breadvan72

Yowza!  I paid 550 for Mrs BV's one of these a few weeks ago, and that was a mucho good deal.  This one looks a megabarg for 350, and it even has an ALL TEH BOOST gauge.