captain_cal's Green Oval sanctuary

captain_cal

Hello friends, I've been lurking here for a fair while now, but haven't really had anything to contribute.. until my dad (henceforth known as captain_tel) came home last week with THIS:

25479746302_bd76ee6ecb_b.jpg

IT'S A V8, M8. And what's more, it seems to be a pretty posh one. All electric everything (and all working!) and sunroofs galore. I think a 3dr V8 with a manual box is a bit of a rarity too. I think it checks all the boxes for this place, it's:

• OLD. Ish.
  • BRITISH. Check.
  • RUSTY. Yessir.

And as a bonus, it does 8mpg. But the noise makes me tingle. Hope you like it!

That looks great, my first Disco was a V8 3 door and was the best LR I've ever owned. It did 20 mpg with Mrs N day to day or 25mpg when towing! I suppose I drove smoother and slower with an overloaded caravan and 4 screaming kids in the back.

Petrol's often have less rust because they're less likely to have spent their lives coated in mud and shit.

Do you have a welder? If not, I suspect you soon will have ;-)

Fortunately I have a tame welder in the form of captain_tel, who is a fabricator by trade.

12 to 20mpg was the norm,depending on how quickly you decided to run up and down the Welsh hillside

I think that's near enough what I'm getting out of this one, I imagine my local Cornish hillsides to be similar to your Welsh ones.

3.5 or 3.9 V8?

I always remember Car magazine banging on about the Terence Conran interior!

3.5 injection. The 3.9s came with the facelift in (I think) '94.

Guest Lord Sward

Nice.

My 1st Disco was a G reg 3.5v8 on carbs,wrapped in a black 3dr body

12 to 20mpg was the norm,depending on how quickly you decided to run up and down the Welsh hillside

Mine was Foxfire Red.

Quality motor!

Skizzer (Martin) bought my last one, a late 300 series with the 3.9 on lpg

Indeed I did, and my better half loves it so much that I'm in deep doo-doo for contemplating parting with it (see Espace thread for details). I like it a lot too, in all fairness.

And it has NO RUST in the boot floor. Chew on that, you doubting Thomases :-)

Guest Hooli

I drove my neighbours 1990 V8 Manual when I was 18... it was awesome

... but slow, I remember it topping out about 85/90, is that normal?

91 was the quoted top end for my 200tdi. That's exactly what it did too.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've had a wild* summer hooning around in the Saab with the roof down but it has rewarded me by beginning to smoke ominously and consume oil. So obviously the sensible thing to do is put it in a shed and worry about it in the spring/maybe never.

In the meantime, please welcome my new WBoD..

29981174162_636b7b3774_c.jpg

One of the only vehicles that has the distinction of having become chod almost the nanosecond it rolled off the production line.