Silly green RAV4: track day shenanigans (22/4)

Angry Sheep

I needed a car this weekend, so I went out yesterday with the intention of buying an old Rover because it's an itch I needed to scratch. I looked at a couple and decided they weren't my thing as they're mainly all utterly shagged and, not expecting to win phil_lihp's raffle, went and placed a deposit on something completely different.

While I enjoyed a celebratory drink last night and looked forward to collecting my new motor, the good people at the Lotto went and drew my lucky number and I won a sodding Rover.

And that, ladies and gents, explains why I'm up at stupid o'clock on a Sunday morning to use our delightful public transport system to collect a car I no longer need. Updates to follow...

Using pubic transport on a sunday?! That is brave. My hat is doffed to you!

The car is 29 miles away by road. Thanks to the unique nature of our public transport system (spoiler alert!), it's a 5.5-mile walk, short train journey and replacement bus service away. If it all goes to plan.

I bloody love this thing. Old bloke's had it for years... used it as a workhorse but looked after it, serviced regularly etc.

post-17861-0-99964300-1457296458_thumb.jpg

post-17861-0-36192300-1457296538_thumb.jpg

post-17861-0-20311400-1457296600_thumb.jpg

post-17861-0-74938700-1457296646_thumb.jpg

Can't quite explain what it is I enjoy about driving it so much. The 2.0-litre petrol engine is pretty eager, and its handling amuses me. I'd love to see it from outside when it's cornering fairly hard. It's just a 'feel good' car, I think - its bright colour, and (working) sunroof letting in lots of light.

To-do list? It sticks of pooch, so I'm gonna stock up on retro air fresheners. There's a tiny rust blister I ought to do something about. I might remove the bull bar but I don't find it that offensive so not sure it's worth the effort.

I spunked £600 on it, which seems fair to me.

• 1 month later...

I've been neglecting Autoshite lately and for that, I apologise. Yesterday, however, I was cruising along sedately on the M4 when I was overtaken by a mk3 Golf with an AS sticker, which reminded me I should probably stick my head in.

Why was I cruising along the M4 in my silly green RAV? Because I was going all the way to deep, dark Wiltshire for a track day at Castle Combe. Natch.

post-17861-0-77597100-1461354434_thumb.jpg

post-17861-0-41991000-1461354445_thumb.jpg

The old thing (now sporting 160k on the clock) drove me there in comfort, around the track more times than was probably sensible (at speeds that probably weren't sensible) and back home again. I even managed some overtakes in it - although not Nick Mason in his LaFerrari, who was on track at the same time. Nutter.

Here's a vid from a mate's MX-5 following me around:

https://www.facebook.com/TheAndrewBrady/videos/vb.679957081/10154172292792082/?type=2&theater

And a clip from said mate having a little drive:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEgsGN9OhVy/

Cheapo unsuitable track toys are the best. Oh, in other news, this weekend I'll be tyre shopping...

Thread book marked.

When you mentioned 'track day' and 'RAV4' I assumed you'd gone green laning.

It's very rare I laugh at a photo out loud but you managed it with your Combe cornering shot.

I'm hoping to go back there in my diesel 605 (or in the knob van).

I like that idea (at a risk of derailing Mr_Sheep's thread).

I could bring the Pleasure Wagon for lolz, but it'd be rude not to bring the MX5.

We have thought about doing one before...

http://autoshite.com/topic/7221-autoshite-track-day/

...and...

http://autoshite.com/topic/18467-any-interest-in-some-kind-of-track-day-next-year/

We could start a new thread if there's seriously a possibility of it actually happening. :)

I did enquire at Blyton a year or so back and they said around £3k for a day of sole use ... which I make 30 cars £100 each. I'm not sure of the max number of cars at Blyton.

That would be a weekday when theres nothing else on. Prices might have one up since then though.