1972 Triumph Toledo 1300 - £1300 ono

JohnK

Guest Drew16460

Hello, all.  My first post, but it needs to be in this topic, as urgency demands it...I need this Toledo, as I had the ball of my life in my early-20s with a 2-door 1300, which had come up from first owner in Sussex and, basically, disintegrated in the damp Pennine atmosphere of Oldham. I live in France now, so this 4-door would stand a better chance.

In true 'Shite is Right' fashion, I've barely got the cash for it, but have a rather bizarre offer, if somebody is prepared to take on a Land-Rover 109" Stage One V8 project vehicle (it's all there), in return for the price JohnK wants for this weapon of Canley 'Ajax' platform sexuality.

As said before, I'm in France (near Angouleme)...so there's a certain rub. But I'm willing if somebody else is, and a PM will see any interested parties furnished with a wealth of pictures, and, hopefully, John's Tolly will go to a place where it will be loved, cherished, not 'Sunday driven', and driven with utter pride in the BL plughole.

I recognise my suggestion is perhaps outrageous, so feel free to laugh at will.

I recognise my suggestion is perhaps outrageous, so feel free to laugh at will.

Bless you, child.

We're all bloody mad here. I've just spent a thousand pounds rectifying a car that cost a thousand pounds that's now worth a thousand pounds. One lad's swapping a brilliant warm hatch for an 82 Sierra in transit white and last year much fuss was made of a Peugeot 305 estate in brown.

Welcome home.

WHAT!!!

I was just getting interested now the Missus gave it a partial up-thumb! (the colour, with wood )

Oh well, never mind..  excellent news as it is remaining in the stable (what with all the other BMWs, this BMW-owned marque is now 'in-team')

I'm afraid this little thing is staying, for now at least.

I've done a few miles in her today

I have made this mistake several times.

After deciding to sell a car DO NOT drive it, or you might change your mind about selling it.

Yesterday I did around 100 miles in my Tip' and changed my mind about selling it, but this morning I realise I have too many cars and it needs to go, so it is still going ... Fleet reduction involves difficult choices mate. For me selling the Tipo means I will get the Beta back on the road.

The seating and door panel vinyl on these is tough stuff and will respond well to being cleaned with 1001 spray on cleaner, scrubbed hard and then wiped off. The headlining has the usual old glue gone brown thing. Solution is to give it a couple of wipes with meths, let is dry and vent, then using a good quality small fluffy roller, paint it with a couple of coats of boggo vinyl silk emulsion. Use a small brush for the seams and edges. It will make it look like new without obscuring any of the grain in the material. Have done this about 3 times on various small Triumphs and it really does make a huge amount of difference and is piss easy. Take off the sun visors, rear view mirror (be careful as they are fragile) and other gubbins to get the best result. Ford Ka rear view mirrors are the same size but stick onto the screen and don't look out of place. Replace as many fasteners with stainless, this will bode well for the future. Clean as many earth points as you can find as they are responsible for most electrical FTP. 

LED bulbs in the sidelights give a brighter light. Dash planks are straightforward to take out but the clock connections can be fiddly. Front shelving can be fiddly and finding a better one is not easy. Millboard can be bought easily if you fancy having a go at DIY.

MGF steelie spares will fit and give a better choice of tyre and fill the wheel arch better. 

Oh John, why did you buy the *******************! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi. I also owned the Toledo. I am pretty sure it is not quite a standard Triumph (anyone know what I did there ;) ) colour. It is NOT Ford Olympic Blue but is closer to Ford Fjord Blue going by the cans in Halfords. There is also another colour that could be a match in the same range but the details elude me. Shame that it was painted as the boot inners show the original pale blue colour which is lovely.

The home made carpet could do with replacing and Coverdale do a very good carpet at a reasonable price. Elsewhere in this thread I detailed a way to sort out the stained headlining.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Ken

I must admit I've been trying to get the 1300's wipers off to move down one notch on the spindles as they park too high, it's been four years now and I can't get the fuckers to budge at all! The bonnet badge fell off the Dolly 1300 of it's own bloody accord!

Hi. I also owned the Toledo. I am pretty sure it is not quite a standard Triumph (anyone know what I did there ;) ) colour. It is NOT Ford Olympic Blue but is closer to Ford Fjord Blue going by the cans in Halfords. There is also another colour that could be a match in the same range but the details elude me. Shame that it was painted as the boot inners show the original pale blue colour which is lovely.

The home made carpet could do with replacing and Coverdale do a very good carpet at a reasonable price. Elsewhere in this thread I detailed a way to sort out the stained headlining.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Ken

Yes i will keep you posted  pre 1976 plates on the way i will check Cloverdale carpets,, going to try the headlining clean up  its the colour that the problem, may be call at the local car painters and look at the swatches 70s Ford ?   Thanks Guys