1972 Triumph Toledo 1300 - £1300 ono

JohnK

Reluctantly selling this but the arrival of another 70's car in the fleet (mid fleet reduction) really should see this moving on to somebody else.

I bought it last year from an old boy and his son.

It runs and drives absolutely ace, engine is sound and will be serviced tomorrow.

41k showing, it's recently had some clutch adjustment and it now drives a lot nicer than it did.

Underside has been caked in old engine oil and all sorts - it's absolutely solid!

It's in fairly good shape for its age, it has had a blowover when the previous keeper had it, it's far from perfect but it's a good 10 footer. Some bubbling at the base of the doors but otherwise nothing major and some chrome pitting.

Interior carpet could ideally do with replacing and the seats would need a deep clean if you wanted to be picky. It's pretty sparse in there!

I've got some history with it and also rosettes from shows the old boy had taken it to.

Breezed it's MOT with 0 advisories so is now tested until Feb 2017.

In short she's ready to get in and drive and use over the summer.

44FC7A91-1628-46F2-9C4B-0A9420F8D6C6_zps

9224F611-BE97-40BD-B90E-B3134C9EBAA5_zps

71964188-C575-4936-A036-B071C2FFAD97_zps

2CC126EC-C0E4-479E-BD3E-0C72463C7A43_zps

ACAA0FD9-8AFC-4E6B-BF77-F0CE78CCF52B_zps

CC6CC0B1-C0A1-4318-8D92-2B7CF2E8B7FE_zps

Is this kinda useable on the motorway? Does it have overdrive? What kinda revs are we talking at 65mph?

eeekk

For a Dolly 1300 you'd be spinning at around 4,000rpm+ at 65mph in top gear, Toledo has the same engine/gearbox/diff but is a touch lighter...

To be honest without an O/D unit I wouldn't even bother with regular motorway use although it'd probably handle the usage better than the more powerful 1500cc lump which likes to eat it's main bearings if sustained high revs are a regular occurrence. I used to sit my Dolly 1300 at 70-75mph on the dual carriage way and I'm sure it'd hack it but I always felt guilty!

This car really looks like a bargain though, my 1300 was £1400 (haggled from £1600) and is a complete heap...

I've had her sat at 65mph on A roads with no major issues. She's not overly noisy, but there's no over drive.

If I hadn't bought this new mystery car I would have been taking this Toledo to shitefest and wouldn't have had any issues with doing nearly 500 miles in a weekend in it.

Whilst I would usually be open to discussing a part ex deal, I really do need to downsize the fleet a little bit - I can just about justify my latest purchase on a 'one out, one in' basis unfortunately.

No rear belts, although all of the mountings are there to fit them. It was going to be something to do if I was keeping it with having 2 little ones as well; Mrs JohnK has never been overly happy about the 18month old being in the front secured in his seat with a belt whilst her and the 5 year old were chucked in the back with no restraints. She specifically used the term that she didn't like 'being bounced around in the back of it' now whilst I would happily oblige with making this true she later confirmed that I drive like a dick and therefore it was meant in no other sense than that.

That's all anyone got in a Toledo. They are charming little cars, easy to fix and maintain. 

John's Tolly seems bloody good in all of the important places. 

The carpet can be easily replaced in a weekend. Coverdale do a good set for about 130 quid. The seats are a 4 bolt and they're out thing. The rears lift out/undo a couple of screws. 

They are ace!

Yeah it's basically a steering wheel, gear lever and switches for lights, wipers and heaters!

That's pretty much all you got at any level on 60s/early 70s family cars. The top model might sprout a few extra gauges but other than that all you got was posher materials.

Have the tyres and clutch been changed?

Tyres are practically new, clutch hasn't been changed as it didn't need it but it no longer Judders like it did when I bought it and is nice and smooth.

If you take that out of the quote boxes the pictures should show.

Decided that I would turn this into a more general thread to keep up to date with the fleet in general and not just Rovers.

Starting with themed Rover news however, the silver 214 has put in sterling service this week. I've worked out it will probably cost me about 10-15 quid a week more to run than the Civic CTDi. Add in that I claim mileage for all work based driving this is negligible so I am going to sell the Honda and use the Rover as a daily.

Rob did advertise it as needing rear tyres and until today I hadn't realise just how bad the perishing was and not something I'm willing to risk 2 children in.

0E004467-8F3C-4D71-969A-C867410F0B31_zps

With this in mind, I've now parked it up and stuck the Civic back on the road - I would rather put up with the knackered exhaust and loose heat shield as opposed to risking a blowout. This means that I really do need to get my backside into gear and visit Joe in Costa del Malhamdale to pick up the scrapper 216. That can donate some much needed rimmage to get mine safe again. I can then fix the Civic's faults and flog it.

Moving away from Rover's for a bit, some of you may remember a few months ago I picked up a Triumph Toledo. Story behind this is that I have been fancying a small Triumph such as a Toledo or Dolomite for a while. A mate spotted this on Car & Classic for sale locally one Sunday evening and after a couple of phone calls, arrangements were made for me to view it the next day.

The owner was a proper old boy who knew the car inside out. He had done lots of preventative maintenance work on it alongside his son who was a joint owner, but ultimately old age for the guy and his son being made redundant meant this was no longer needed. Not one to exploit such a situation, but understanding that business is business and the son was strapped for cash, I bid the car down by just over 500 notes to get it well into 3 figure territory and drove it away with its 2 months MOT, after I had taxed it for £FREE.

I had it out a few times for enjoyable bumbles through the North Yorkshire Moors and over to Whitby one day for fish & chips.
MOT ran out last month and it has been parked up since.

Dragged it out this morning:

C1CAFC65-88CC-4FEE-88A9-12077D920CF5_zps

Here's what South Cleveland Garages (Reg Vardy Rover) looked like in 1995 when Mr BL-Mad picked his brand new 214 up after 23 years of faithful Toledo service:

6E2E5297-6EEB-4F1F-B8D7-A2170F7DBD35_zps

It's a good 10-footer that's for sure

BE555DA2-1AEB-46A8-9C45-36684D53414B_zps

C955C9CC-522D-4E74-827A-8BDA6B327E16_zps

DAA1329F-F1C2-4DC9-8E85-C8A24F6D37C2_zps

2F14F27D-96AD-4AB4-83A1-7AF9BC4EAF44_zps

CB22F3A7-0195-4B81-B26E-04671E158025_zps

Not perfect up close to be honest - it has had a cheap blowover in the past and its poor quality, orange peel and runs apparent. Tried to capture it in this pic of the roof but it hasn't come out great

311F5C40-9DED-41EC-86B3-7BE79E286D32_zps

Probably the only major noticeable bit of grot

2F4A137C-D89B-4B45-B2A3-9285B0662EAB_zps

Sills have seen a paintbrush

725856ED-B490-4EBE-A0B5-75443C2964FC_zps

Chrome pitted

E8CBC0E7-C610-4E4F-80EC-156589B15E09_zps

No major plans at present with the bodywork as it will do and adds to the character. Car seems solid though

Floors

E0B76C99-2BE0-4B5A-9138-7E62622A45C5_zps

Inner wings

C6C5F957-B8F7-4291-8436-4E6639229919_zps

Wheels in good nick too

5EB94121-77B1-446D-A1E6-42CA1C51F433_zps

Underneath is caked in underseal which has no doubt helped this little motor stay alive, but everything underneath is just heavily coated with the stuff. I will remove it and check everything out in detail.

Interior is basic, but nice -

8DD890EF-6FA5-4406-8347-F5A0638DC26A_zps

Not loads to do on the interior, it does need a clean though

57AEFC76-BDAA-4BD9-806C-AB0A2E61AB21_zps

E96ECC72-4648-45E3-9AAC-88E0C583DE2A_zps

6DA9EB99-F7E7-4BC5-8944-8F6F6A074BB1_zps

This cardboard shelf is knackered - I am going to replicate the full lot by using this as a template but the replacement will be wood that will be covered in black vinyl

1D0BC904-970E-4D2F-A457-D2A1DB2B3142_zps

Carpet has been fobbed together at some point, cut, repaired, the footwell carpets got damaged by a leak in the past and replaced with black etc - full lot will come out and be replaced in full -

C109DCA7-C741-4931-9DEF-833A986487CB_zps

Engine purrs like a kitten, runs and drives beautifully

4B1C7766-770C-408A-BF50-BC462EC72171_zps

Genuine mileage

BDFF028B-A776-499A-95F5-FF91D359B989_zps

Proof it won a category at a local car show. And some history

D0937AEA-8C1D-4B0E-8E00-43062E8C7E4D_zps

Needs some electrical connection issues sorting to get it through a test but touch wood shouldn't have any issues.

It needs very little mechanically, just a good service, bosh a clutch in as it is shagged and rear suspension needs a bit of a check over. Plans over the next few months are to do this and just give the interior a good clean up, install rear seat belts to be child friendly for the 2 sods and put a stereo in it.
Bonnet cable to be replaced too as it is a fucker to open (hence why it is open and staying open in the pics above).

My main work over the next few months is to work on one of my E23's, which I will detail here too alongside progress for this.

The seating and door panel vinyl on these is tough stuff and will respond well to being cleaned with 1001 spray on cleaner, scrubbed hard and then wiped off. The headlining has the usual old glue gone brown thing. Solution is to give it a couple of wipes with meths, let is dry and vent, then using a good quality small fluffy roller, paint it with a couple of coats of boggo vinyl silk emulsion. Use a small brush for the seams and edges. It will make it look like new without obscuring any of the grain in the material. Have done this about 3 times on various small Triumphs and it really does make a huge amount of difference and is piss easy. Take off the sun visors, rear view mirror (be careful as they are fragile) and other gubbins to get the best result. Ford Ka rear view mirrors are the same size but stick onto the screen and don't look out of place. Replace as many fasteners with stainless, this will bode well for the future. Clean as many earth points as you can find as they are responsible for most electrical FTP. 

LED bulbs in the sidelights give a brighter light. Dash planks are straightforward to take out but the clock connections can be fiddly. Front shelving can be fiddly and finding a better one is not easy. Millboard can be bought easily if you fancy having a go at DIY.

MGF steelie spares will fit and give a better choice of tyre and fill the wheel arch better. 

Oh John, why did you buy the *******************! :)

I've just taken it for a run down to the Crematorium to see Mother_JohnK and now off for a run out before going for lunch.

Somebody buy it before I change my mind and keep it! She's a lovely little car.

And Ken, I've bought *********** because I've been fancying one for a while!