MOT Headlight Rule Changes

SiC

This was up on the official DVSA MOT blog, earlier and appears to have now been taken down.

No idea if this is a good or bad thing. Hopefully means less dazzling headlights on the roads in the near future though.

Here is a Google cache copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fmattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk%2Fthe-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing%2F&oq=cache%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fmattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk%2Fthe-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing%2F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.5227j0j4&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

And a copy here when Google purges their cache next...

The MOT headlamp aim test is changing

Matters of Testing, 3 March 2016 — MOT Modernisation

post-20071-0-84170000-1457031421_thumb.jpg

MOT tester testing a car headlamp

From 24 March 2016, we’re changing the way headlamp aim is measured on the MOT test. The new testing standards will emphasise the importance of correct alignment and stress that it shouldn’t be just a quick check.

It’s been trialled with the help of VTS council member volunteers with the results verified by the Vehicle Safety Research Centre at Loughborough University.

The changes are similar to those introduced for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV) last year. Since being introduced in April 2015 the fail rate for HGVs have significantly decreased as a result.

The new method is just a few simple changes and you don’t need new equipment.

Why we're changing the test

Headlamp aim consistently tops the MOT compliance survey as one of the most likely items to be assessed incorrectly by testers.

These new changes will look to reduce errors and increase test consistency.

So what are we changing?

The changes will slightly widen the tolerance band for European ‘E’ beams with headlamp centres up to 850mm. We’re also changing the requirement to test the ‘image break’ point.

1. Horizontal cut-off

The method of checking the aim of the horizontal cut-off is the same. It’s only the lower limit for headlamps up to 850mm that has changed from 2.0% to 2.75%.

A headlamp will now fail if its horizontal cut-off is:

above the upper limit of 0.5%

below the lower limit of 2.75%

post-20071-0-66015000-1457031429_thumb.gif

Horizontal cut-off point diagram

See technical pen picture for ‘Horizontal cut-off’

2. Dazzle Zone

In the past we've had to find the ‘image break point’ and check it’s within a very small area of the headlamp beam tester screen. If the ‘break point’ was outside of this small box then the headlamp would fail the test. You won’t need to check that anymore.

From 24 March 2016, you need to check for “white light†in the area formed by the 0% vertical and the 0.5% horizontal lines.

We've called this the 'dazzle zone' because if a beam is aimed in this area then it’s likely to dazzle oncoming vehicles. Any white light in this area would result in the headlamp failing the test.

post-20071-0-60729500-1457031453_thumb.gif

Diagram of the new dazzle zone

See technical pen picture for ‘Dazzle zone’

3. Kick up

Finally, you must still make sure that there is a 'kick up' visible on the screen if it’s required. Remember that not all headlamps have kick ups, some have flat tops and some have beam deflectors fitted.

If a kick up is required, it will only fail the test if it isn’t visible on the screen

post-20071-0-70223300-1457031462_thumb.gif

Diagram showing kick up

The MOT inspection manuals on GOV.UK will be updated on 24 March 2016 to include the new standard. In the mean time you can take a look at the new headlamp aim inspection manual pages for classes 1 and 2 and for classes 3, 4, 5 and 7.

If you have any questions about the new standards please email testing.technical.standards@vosa.gov.uk.

Seems like it's now slightly more lax if anything? 

Most headlights that blind the fuck out of you are a result of some ballbag fitting a bulb upside down or otherwise not sitting flush, so it's mega wonky rather than bad aim in my experience.

The effect of which is multiplied by eleventy-million when the poorly fitted bulb is an XENONLOOKOMGBLUENOTFORROADUSE one.

Mine are both set wrong at the moment with the aim being too low and at slightly different heights.  Since the MoT is due in a few weeks I'm just going to get them sorted then rather than trying to guess them correct myself.

By far the biggest causes of dazzle:

Large loads in boot and unadjusted lamps / inoperative levelling. A.k.a Moronic Drivers.

Poor adjustment.

Archaic brightness limit defined in Watts. Hence, range rovers, audis and most moderns with their xenons and HIDs blinding you as they can provide much more light for a given wattage.

What's needed is an MOT test based on lamp intensity, not wattage. But that would upset far too many rich people whom are allowed to blind me when I'm driving my kids home at night in my paupers wheels.

so nothing to worry about there then,just slightly more accurate adjustment needed,place where I take my mots always corrects it free anyway,probably spend an extra 10 seconds on them.

Hi Matty,

Can you recommend a firm but fair MoT  test centre in the Stoke area, please?

My current tester, where I work here down south,  always finds an excuse to charge extra for 'adjusting' the beam, every test.

Thanks, K of Oakhill