Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Project Capri. Old pics from when I bought it. pg 14.

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,442 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Not anything exciting to update with, although it won't be long now, but today has been a reasonably decent day weather wise so I've taken the opportunity to clear out and rearrange the garage in anticipation of most of the big heavy stuff going back to the car to make it rolling again soonish.

As luck would have it, all the big heavy stuff was at the back of the garage! A bit of poor forward planning on my part really but of course what I need is all this stuff up at the front next to the double doors.
So I've emptied everything out of the garage, shoved the engine along some old decking strips while it's still sat on its metal drip tray (much easier than lifting the twat!) and I've got the axle etc etc all sitting on an old pallet next to it. The idea being that when it needs to go back to the car I can back my van up to the garage doors and simply lift them all straight in. That's the plan but the engine lift will be a right bastard, though I do have a cunning plan up my sleeve for this!

Next job was to sort through all the boxes and get anything suspension or wheel related sorted into boxes ready to go too.
It's amazing how much shit comes off a car when you strip it down like this, and this is a very basic car. I can only imagine how much would come off something as complex as my dad's modern Mondeo Titanium X for example!
I've managed to put everything I think will be needed in its own boxes, labelled each box and made an inventory list for each box! Any nuts, bolts, washers and clips are in sealable bags and all labelled for what they are for so in theory it should be as easy as possible for the reassembly.
It's not a job I was looking forward to tbh but it needed doing and now it's done so job well done.

In other news I've stripped back the gearbox crossmember, sanded it down and painted it in black enamel to match everything else. I've got a new gearbox mount with it too.
Also, for some bizarre reason I'm having a job and a half getting hold of a clutch kit that fits properly! So far the two non OE ones I've had are a terrible fit and frankly not good enough so I've sent them back for refund. Cheap jap shit!
Instead I've looked around and found an ideal solution. The place I've had loads of bits from in the past list the correct part but it appears to be a reconditioned original item done on exchange basis. It's more expensive than pattern parts but unlike them it will fit properly, plus I'll get a bit of cash back returning my old one. It should be here in a few days time so we'll see.

It's been a while now since I've payed an instalment, but the next one is the final payment on the bodywork. Which means it's currently having the seam sealing done, then the flexible underseal/stonechip coat underneath. Followed up by filler and primer, then paint, lacquer and polishing up.
Can't be long now before I get the call to pay up!
Once that's done the car goes back to the workshop to have the axles, suspension, hubs, wheels, engine and box reinstalled along with the headlining and glass. Then it'll be the last payment and it'll be coming back home for me to drool over and rebuild the remaining items into the shell.
I really can't wait to start doing that bit! I was looking at what's left in the garage after all the running gear bits go to be fitted and there isn't really all that much left. With any luck I'll have it back on the road for next summer!
  • The Reverend Bluejeans, eddyramrod, AngusToledo and 3 others like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#422 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,442 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

Here's a few pics of the pile of shite in the garage.

36952790802_ff06f2cf68_o.jpgIMG_0687 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36952787982_c93282a4a9_o.jpgIMG_0688 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36726461900_82f3d0d918_o.jpgIMG_0689 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36726457310_91a1636426_o.jpgIMG_0690 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Should start to empty out a bit soon!
Also found a few bits a bobs I'll not be needing again too, like the old spoiler fixings and alloy wheel nut set. There's a spare mk2 grill I found too.
  • AngusToledo, mat_the_cat, Sigmund Fraud and 1 other like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#423 OFFLINE   Capree

Capree

• Full Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

It's like opening an Airfix model car kit on Christmas Day just to have a quick look at the wheels and all the other bits. :-)
  • danthecapriman and eddyramrod like this

#424 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,442 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

New clutch is here from Germany.

It's not a cheapo one and guess what? It fits this time!

New clutch assembled, lined up and bolted on.
36423203414_aedf13ea39_o.jpgIMG_0691 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

New bearing installed onto the clutch arm.
37089007412_67c002edbf_o.jpgIMG_0692 by Dan Clark, on Flickr
Good job I changed this. The old clutch itself wasn't too bad really but the bearing sounded rough as arse holes when I removed it and spun it. If it was left unchanged I don't think it'd have been long before it became noisy and needed the box taking out again.

Old bits,

37089003702_92a07963fb_o.jpgIMG_0693 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36423194194_f07aba3f5d_o.jpgIMG_0694 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Not in terrible condition really and would likely have been ok for a good while longer in this car, bearing excluded, but makes best sense to do stuff like this while it's in bits.

I'm running out of stuff to do on this now. The engines finished, pretty much everything else has been cleaned repaired or replaced and painted. I just need the shell back now!
  • AngusToledo, mat_the_cat and Steviemillar like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users