Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Weird! No idea why they appear upside down to some but not others?

All the bits I had blasted are now clean of any left over blasting medium. The rocker cover was the main focus here but there's not really anywhere for it to get stuck inside anyway, it's all one pressed piece. I've given all of it a coat of acid etch primer which can dry off overnight before I start slapping on the blue.

Also, tomorrow I'll get my beautiful powder coated dartboard wheels out and take a few pics. They look stunning now! There's a little bit more of a metallic fleck in them now compared to original but it does look lovely, especially in the sunshine. They are still sat in the back of my van since I picked them up and were still warm! I didn't want to risk scratches or chips by moving them around so left them sat on some soft coats!

While a coat of paint dries here's the photos of the OMGrimzYo.

35536335511_5f0633a9a6_o.jpgIMG_0518 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

34825642974_d69f1731f0_o.jpgIMG_0519 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

34857725923_4e939235b1_o.jpgIMG_0520 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The silver shade isn't exactly the same as the original paint and theres a bit more of a metallic fleck in them now too but they are really good looking. In the sun they look lovely. It was £100 for all five, blasted clean then powder coat. Not bad really.

Things are starting to get more difficult in the garage now. Now there's more and more parts in there that are repaired/refurbished or new storing it all safely without getting it scratched or damaged is getting harder!

Cool. This sort of thing is a real boost to motivation. Are you going to get the little paintbrush and black gloss enamel out for the inserts?

Did someone on here show a 'clip on/sprung' thungimmy that allows a 'mask 'n spray' then move to the next slot..??

TS

Weird! No idea why they appear upside down to some but not others?

Which browser are you using?

Chromium(Chrome) - forum upside-down, but view image direct right way up.

Firefox - forum upside-down, but view image direct right way up.

Konqueror - forum upside-down AND view image direct upside down.

Must be a browser thing ignoring the orientation flag in the EXIF.

Cool. This sort of thing is a real boost to motivation. Are you going to get the little paintbrush and black gloss enamel out for the inserts?

It is a right boost, I've enjoyed doing all these bits and bobs. Painting the engine and parts has been good especially as you can see an obvious quick improvement as you go, plus painting is usually one of the last stages so it looks like your progressing and actually completing things. All good for mojo!

The wheels will be getting their black inserts. But I probably won't paint them. I've got some black vinyls, already in the right shape. Just needs cutting out and sticking on. I think they look better with the black bits, they're a real 'period' part on these 70's Fords.

Which browser are you using?Chromium(Chrome) - forum upside-down, but view image direct right way up.Firefox - forum upside-down, but view image direct right way up.Konqueror - forum upside-down AND view image direct upside down.Must be a browser thing ignoring the orientation flag in the EXIF.

It's all being done off my iPad. If that makes any difference?

I wonder if it's because of the way round I'm holding the iPad to take pics? The iPad usually sorts them out itself but maybe browsers can't?

It's no different to how I used Photobucket though and I didn't get this problem with them. It's only since I swapped to Flickr.

Aye, iPad I guess uses Safari?

I wonder if it's because of the way round I'm holding the iPad to take pics?

Probably, home button to left rather than right?

The iPad usually sorts them out itself but maybe browsers can't?

Yip, that's what I'm getting at. I'll may test Microsoft Internet Explorer later.

It's no different to how I used Photobucket though and I didn't get this problem with them. It's only since I swapped to Flickr.

The links are private, rather than public. Don't know if that makes a difference to the available EXIF data or not. Try making a test one public.

Aye, iPad I guess uses Safari?

I wonder if it's because of the way round I'm holding the iPad to take pics?

Probably, home button to left rather than right?

The iPad usually sorts them out itself but maybe browsers can't?

Yip, that's what I'm getting at. I'll may test Microsoft Internet Explorer later.

The links are private, rather than public. Don't know if that makes a difference to the available EXIF data or not. Try making a test one public.

Spot on on all counts!

Ok, this ones been swapped to public for a test...

35588222586_a141c730ec_o.jpgIMG_0206 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Mercury in U.K. Or Oz?

I'll try these, took them with the iPad the other way around this time.

35539215901_03ab1cec0c_o.jpgIMG_0521 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35629939856_23491d5b02_o.jpgIMG_0522 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35669680725_6ea1603f8d_o.jpgIMG_0523 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

First coat of enamel on the blasted bits. It's a bit thin and patchy so will definitely need at least another coat.

On a related note, this paint is great stuff. Really thick and glossy and the smell is just delightful!! Smells just like those little Humbrol model paints in the tiny tins, just much more concentrated.

MoaR UK photos :)

This will be a bloody lovely motor when you're done.

I reckon that should sort the pic issue then. I'll just hold the iPad the other way up to take the snaps!

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly now, I can't wait to see it finished though. The engines looking sweet already.

I'll try these, took them with the iPad the other way around this time.

35539215901_03ab1cec0c_o.jpgIMG_0521 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35629939856_23491d5b02_o.jpgIMG_0522 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35669680725_6ea1603f8d_o.jpgIMG_0523 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

First coat of enamel on the blasted bits. It's a bit thin and patchy so will definitely need at least another coat.

On a related note, this paint is great stuff. Really thick and glossy and the smell is just delightful!! Smells just like those little Humbrol model paints in the tiny tins, just much more concentrated.

Not sure about painting inside the cam cover!

Is the paint resistant to heat, oil and pez fumeage?

Dont really want disolved flakey bits of paint washing around inside the engine :(

edited to add - must read to end of thread but essentially what ^^ oldford said

Thanks guys.

I did wonder about painting the inside of the cam cover tbh. It was painted originally. The paint is specifically for engines and is oil etc resistant (it should be really as it is engine paint!). I don't know now if I should strip it off the inside.

The inside just got a quick coat to stop it from rusting in future so it's not thick or heavily applied. Otherwise it's bare steel.

The outside is now finished so stripping it off will be harder but do you lot reckon I should strip it off?? I can't see it flaking tbh but now a few of you have said it I'm unsure. The original paint was ok in there...

risk of paint causing issues may be low but the impact would be high enough that I would strip it off

Your right, I think I'll leave it alone for a few days, let the paint on the outside harden fully (looks good btw!) then turn it over and strip the inside. Best to be 100% sure I suppose.

In theory it shouldn't rust anyway with there being oil getting flung around inside but it's just the period between now and when I get the thing running again where it'll be sat in bare steel without anything protecting it.

What I could do is, just before I install the cam cover and gasket, is wipe a film of engine oil around the inside of the cam cover by hand then turn it over and bolt it down to the head.

Hopefully that light film of oil will stop any rust?

A little more progress today.

I'm starting to rebuild now! There's still a handful of bits that I've still got to prep and paint but things are now at the point of being able to go back on the engine. Plus I wanted to see what it looked like.

35756179556_647372898e_o.jpgIMG_0525 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35797187945_e8e585874d_o.jpgIMG_0524 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Bottom pulley and it's washer back on. I've also installed a new oil pressure switch, oil filter (genuine, no less), new set of plugs, and new dizzy cap & rotor arm. Could have done most of that later but it's easy to get at now and the bits were all here sat waiting so why not.

35664871431_cd3932dc05_o.jpgIMG_0526 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Also reattached the foam pads to the back of the belt cover now the paint is hard. These are the originals and weren't in bad nik really so I've cleaned them up and glued them back on with some impact adhesive.

I also changed the three little rubber seals for around the fixing bolts. The old ones were all crushed and falling apart, the new ones are a bit smaller than original but look better and do the same job.

And now some pics of what it looks like with most of the painted bits back on...

35627596932_c3f8fa3c7b_o.jpgIMG_0527 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35627591922_266b025671_o.jpgIMG_0528 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Nice! The blue looks really good with the black, and all the bare ally bits look great with it too. I've painted the belt cover bolt heads black and also done the exposed bits of the head front end in black too.

The new fuel pump is installed aswell. I also smeared a little grease around the centres of the bottom pulley and fan pulley just to try to stop future seizure, and a tiny blob on the end of the fuel pump plunger just so it's not started with no lube when the time comes.

35627586932_75bd6598da_o.jpgIMG_0529 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The inlet manifold is now soaking in degreaser, I'll give it a good scrub later. Same with the carb, though this isn't to dirty really it's just oily mess around it's base. I'll then bolt them back together and put them straight back on the engine.

All the other assorted nuts, bolts and washers are also either sat in a tub of degreaser or sitting in a tub of rust remover fizzing away ready for reuse. It's coming along nicely!

Edited, as I fucked up the last pic!

Once it's all back together properly I've got some fine modelling brushes so will use them to paint any nut/bolt heads that are on show and do some touch ups as required.

I'm also going to use them and a tin of Humbrol white enamel to pick out the timing marks on the block and bottom pulley and also to paint the raised number castings for the engines numbers.

I did also buy a new temperature gauge sender. This was made in France so obviously it's utterly shit and doesn't fit! I'll get another from elsewhere.

The only outstanding parts I need now is a clutch kit and I'll do the rear crank seal at the same time. And I also need some silver barbecue paint for the exhaust manifold.

Here's a few recentish pics of the Capri's body.

I've got more but have to be careful about showing too much regards to location etc! These ones are 'safe' as there's not much else to see around the car.

Inside, shows new floors, inner sills, heel boards and the general state from inside. Notice the cage bracing built into the shell to stop it twisting.

35771097826_ea52eec56d_o.jpgIMG_0532 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35811828105_9640c4d194_o.jpgIMG_0533 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Rear quarter and badly bodged arch. This shows the way the arch was changed years ago. They cut off the original, slapped the new one on top and lap jointed it with bird shit welds onto the remains of the quarter panel. The inner arch bowl is actually cut away and missing where it should be spot welded to the outer arch lip.

All this will be going soon. In its place will be new inner arch bowls and full new rear quarters.

35811822255_ae03c2f176_o.jpgIMG_0534 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Inner front wings and A posts.

Lots done here, the A post panels and door hinge areas are all brand new.

Strut tops are the originals and still good as new.

35811814615_c96e4499c0_o.jpgIMG_0535 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Side view. Check out the superb tow car!!

35642391282_5d64c208c1_o.jpgIMG_0536 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Front end. The old valance has been chopped to give access to the front crossmember, which is all new. Also new are both headlamp bowls.

35771071406_1b19880a75_o.jpgIMG_0538 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Other side, front inner wings etc. Same details as other side.

35422986770_6e74aacc09_o.jpgIMG_0539 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

And other side rear end. Again same details as the other one. You can just see the rust damage on the quarter panel from a previous vinyl roof. Water had gotten in under the vinyl and sat behind it rotting the steel. A non original feature that won't be coming back!

35001604673_7c092f847c_o.jpgIMG_0540 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

That looks properly positive now chap:)

Ta! That's as it was when I took it away from the previous place. The works good but way way overpriced and progress very slow. Should be plain sailing now at the new place though! Lots to do still but the structural stuff is done now.

Anyway, here's a quick comparison!

This is the same place both after repair work...

35422986770_6e74aacc09_o.jpgIMG_0539 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

And before...

35240628190_b986f4f60c_o.jpgIMG_0192 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Looks much better and has the structural integrity it should have too.

Nice! That amount of work is what I'd call normal for an unrestored Capri these days.  The A posts are more complex that they look and take a good deal of effort to sort out.  The rest is a matter of unpicking all the spot welds and replacing with new panel work.  Theres also quite a bit of work getting the new panels to fit if they're aftermarket.  I've no idea what the last place charged you but at least the work you paid for has been done well.  

Are the doors ok?  Solid ones are quite difficult to get hold of now.