Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Project Capri. Ive been a lazy bastard! pg.34.

Project

• Please log in to reply
1016 replies to this topic

#991 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

Anyone else notice that on a side on picture the ebay mk2s front wheels appear to be sitting too far back in the arches more so on the passengers side, I reckon the front crossmember has the structural integrity of weetabix
attachicon.gifs-l400-4.jpg

Tbh when I looked at that pic I was wondering if the rear wheel was too far forward? Maybe it’s an illusion not helped by the black tide mark? There just looks like a bigger gap around the back of the rear wheel to me.
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#992 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

I noticed that too, i know the gap at the rear of the back wheel is usually bigger on them but that looks much bigger strange really
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#993 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

It’d be interesting to see it up on a lift. The tide mark is awful but I’d love to see what it’s hiding.
Looking at the rust breaking through the paint like it is I bet that’s been sat in a damp garage or similar for some time.

Still would though! Ignoring the price of course!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#994 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 3,722 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

It could have had a new arch welded on too far back

• danthecapriman likes this

00 Transporter 800 spesh

93 Pajero 2.5 td  Automatic

02 Honda HRV v-tec

98 Astra Arctic 1.6 16v

82 Fiesta mk1 1.1L

93 Astra GLS Automatic

Vacancy for ....Viva HB  :-D

#995 OFFLINE   TripleRich

TripleRich

• Full Members
  • 261 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationWelding the Granada

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:27 PM

Could be the angle of the photo or advanced rot in the usual spot under the back seat.  Could be bodged accident damage from years ago.  A Capri with that mileage must have left a roundabout sideways at least once!

Its already had a pair of front wings badly put on, check out the screws along the flitches in the engine bay!  They should be welded!

Its been in the damp for years no doubt.  All the seams right though the shell will be brown and need sorting out or you'll never stop the rot.

#996 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 8,180 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

In conclusion, it is 'Donald Ducked'. I bet if you took a tape measure to check the wheelbase, the numbers won't match and will have a bigger dose of crabs than a teenage slapper

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#997 ONLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,916 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

The whole picture is distorted. Looks like it was taken with a wide angle lens.

That would have been a £200 car in my youth.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#998 ONLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 7,853 posts
  • 68 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

I dont ever remember 3.0s being £200 but even three or four years ago it would have been £1500. I turned down a very crusty 3.0S for £1800 three years ago. Oh how I laugh about that now.............

#999 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

I paid £100 in 2001 for my 1.6, a V6 would always be worth more but if it was 10 or 15 years ago (or even longer) that, and mine, would have been banger racers.
Great when/if you had the forethought to buy one back then but shows how values have rocketed. How much higher can it go though that’s the thing?
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1000 ONLINE   JeeExEll

JeeExEll

• Full Members
  • 4,019 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationA figment of my own imagination.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

I sold this very 2.8i for £160 in 1994, totally standard and still reasonably tidy with MOT. Was my daily over winter 93. Had a few V6 Capris from around 1988 onwards but this was my last one.
I have a pic somewhere of it in my garden. When new it had been loaned to one of the car mags.
EYI4B61.jpg

Sister registration to the first Tickford turbo prototype ( with no bodykit) ↓ ↓
f9oQ1es.jpg

OMGpotentialWhiteRoomMadness. "Here we have this cherished ex-press Ford Capri 2.8i 4-speed, on a desirable BHK plate, with it's original checked Recaro grey interior and rare extra-cost 2-tone colour option of Graphite over Stratos. . . . . blah blah bollocks, £35 million quid".

The reality — it got a damn good hammering at every opportunity. Just a cheap old unmodified car like maybe a well-used but still dependable V6 Mondeo would be now. Bought if for a few hundred £££, maybe 500 or something. Sold it to a bloke who wanted to tow his scrambler-bike trailer with it, but I don't think it was ever MOTd again. Wasn't rotten, just a bit tired and worn and faded. Had rare factory alloy rocker covers like some early XR4is. (Bet you're impressed now!). :-)
  • richardthestag, danthecapriman, NorfolkNWeigh and 2 others like this

#1001 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

Nice! I bet you wish you’d never sold that!
There was a set of those alloy rocker covers on eBay a while ago, I wanted them for my mk2 Granny estate but they went for a ludicrous amount so I didn’t keep bidding!

BHK plate eh? Mines BBK... that’s almost sort of similar. Maybe mines... no!
I’ve got an idea mine was actually a dealer display car from the launch year, but maybe it was just a story from its original owner? But it’s a local car, Portsmouth registered which means it was most likely sold by Hendy Ford down in Cosham. They’re still there as a Ford dealer too.
Only other local Ford dealer is Hendy on Hayling Island but I don’t think it was from there, if that dealership was even there in 74?
I might try and take it back one day.
  • richardthestag and JeeExEll like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1002 ONLINE   JeeExEll

JeeExEll

• Full Members
  • 4,019 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationA figment of my own imagination.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

Do you have a period dealer sticker for the rear window or something you can reproduce? Maybe a heading from an old newspaper ad?

#1003 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

I did find one online somewhere at one of those replica number plate and sticker places but can’t find it now. I’ll have a look later see if I can find one.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1004 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

Dmb make replica window stickers, you now have to send your v5 to them for number plates, if anyone doesn't want to send theirs to them I can supply you with an email address of another place that makes them

#1005 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

My word, it’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread.

I’ll be honest! I’ve done virtually nothing. It’s been sat in the garage gathering dust.
I got to the point of finishing the brake pipes, that went a bit wrong annoyingly and I got frustrated so left it. Then other things came up and I’ve just ignored the Capri since as winter turned up and that’s always a depressing sack of shit for me and not car fixing weather.

Mojo has been returning of late though. I’ve bought a few small bits and bobs I needed so I’ll have them to hand when I start again.
The problem with the brake pipes is still as I left it... basically, I used my original long front to rear pipe (factory original pipe) as a pattern for the new copper one. Bent it to shape, exactly! Took ages to gently feed it into the car. Which was a twat because it’s so long, and I didn’t want any scratched paint. It also runs awkwardly through the engine bay then down the transmission tunnel (above the fucking prop, so I had to drop that and its mounts to get it in properly) then got to the end near where it joins to the rear brakes pipes etc and...
... it’s too FUCKING short!! By about an inch.
I was so angry I was on the cusp of tearing the new pipe out from under the car and putting the shitty original back in. Luckily I stopped myself doing that and gave up instead.
Plan to fix this issue is to cut the new pipe back to where it’s straight, form a new end, then use a pipe joiner section with a new length of pipe from that upto where it joins the rear brakes pipes. It’s not strictly factory where a joint will be but fuck it!

I also had the problem with the heater box. One of my control cables was snapped and I’ve looked everywhere and these are unobtainable! Shit!
Ok, so I then found a used set of cables and switches for a mk1 which given my heater box is the same as a mk1 should fit? Nope! Cables are different lengths.
Much more recently I spotted a rough used complete mk1 heater box on eBay for not much so just bought that based on the fact that I know that part is the same and it can’t hurt to have spare parts if it turns out to be crap. I couldn’t see the cables in the listing pics either.
It turned up one day and on opening it up, it looked pretty good actually! And most importantly it had both its control cables, both of which worked freely.
Took the one I needed off and compared it to my broken one and it’s spot bollock on!! Hoo-fucking-ray!
Swapped them over and oiled them both up to make sure they stay free. So the heater is now finished, and I’ve got another for bits now too.

Other than that, I’ve done a few odd bits to other parts and some painting too. Not much but something.

Anyway, that just brings this up to date and proves I’ve not just given up! Not fully anyway. More progress soon, weather dependant of course...
  • Skizzer, eddyramrod, coalnotdole and 13 others like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1006 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:43 AM

I can forgive you Dan it's been blooming cold over the past month or so and you really don't want to rush building it back up due to the risk of damage, enjoy and savour it
  • danthecapriman and egg like this

#1007 OFFLINE   AndySnapper

AndySnapper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 46 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

Do it at the pace that suits your Mojo and circumstances and you will enjoy it more.

I'm confident you will achieve a stunning result Dan.

Andy

• danthecapriman and egg like this

#1008 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

I can forgive you Dan it's been blooming cold over the past month or so and you really don't want to rush building it back up due to the risk of damage, enjoy and savour it

I don’t mind the cold so much, I work outdoors all year anyway. It’s the relentless rain that kills it for me.
I’ve got the garage, and I can work in the engine bay with the car still in there but anything else the car needs rolling out onto the drive. It’s not properly weather tight yet and I’m not getting it wet! Also, there’s few things worse than rolling around on a soaking wet floor when you’ve got to work under the car!

It’s ‘supposed’ to be dry(er!) this week so I might get the wiring loom out, at least the engine bay section, and keep that handy. At least then if it rains I can get that cleaned up and re-taped on my workbench.
Once that’s done I can install it and then begin building everything else back into the engine bay. The loom needs to go in first though as it’s runs are under most other things.
If it’s dry on the weekend I’ll roll it out and try to finish the brake lines.
  • Skizzer, eddyramrod and Saabnut like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1009 OFFLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,919 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

Put the glass in. Dry job, from above, and will help dry it out.
Barkas,Datsun 411s, U11sssFiat 850, 1100's,124, 127, Stradas, Croma,Regata,Coupes,Gaz's,Isuzu 117,Bellel,BellettFord Taunus,Transit p/up, Nissan Pintara,Pug J7,505, MussoRenault 4,5,9's,12's,18's,Fuegos,21,25, Safrane, Colorale,Fregate's,Caravelle,Seat Ibiza,Ronda, Simca Aronde, 1100, Standard's (various),<p>Zast 313, Zaz 968's

#1010 OFFLINE   Christine

Christine

• Full Members
  • 3,722 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

When it gets a bit warmer the copper pipe will expand and it will be long enough . .. :-P

• nigel bickle, danthecapriman, SiC and 1 other like this

00 Transporter 800 spesh

93 Pajero 2.5 td  Automatic

02 Honda HRV v-tec

98 Astra Arctic 1.6 16v

82 Fiesta mk1 1.1L

93 Astra GLS Automatic

Vacancy for ....Viva HB  :-D

#1011 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

I don’t mind the cold so much, I work outdoors all year anyway. there’s few things worse than rolling around on a soaking wet floor when you’ve got to work under the car!

Same here I am happy to work in the cold as long as its dry, I hate getting soggy pants, also the pissing down rain seems to make the simplest job take 27 times longer

#1012 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

Put the glass in. Dry job, from above, and will help dry it out.

All the glass is actually back in. It’s just lacking most other stuff like rubbers for doors and tailgate, they’re on loose but not properly. Screen wipers aren’t in properly or sealed. Door glass rubbers not in yet. There’s various holes around too where the bungs etc aren’t in yet. Plus I’ve still not finished the wax rust proofing and I won’t risk it getting wet without it!

When it gets a bit warmer the copper pipe will expand and it will be long enough . .. :-P

I hate you!!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1013 ONLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,916 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:24 PM

Is there any chance you could tighten some of the angles Dan?

When I worked in the spares place we made brake pipes to the customers pattern, I always made them a good few inches longer as they never get the bends as tight as the original and no one ever complained they were too long.

The customer who had a front to rear pipe for a Princess made up was the angriest I've ever seen anyone when he brought it back having threaded it all the way from master cylinder to the rear wheel to discover I had put the nut on backwards!

Being told if he had left it on the car we could have lent him a tool to reflare it in situ didn't help either.
  • danthecapriman, Christine and Hooli like this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#1014 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

Is there any chance you could tighten some of the angles Dan?
When I worked in the spares place we made brake pipes to the customers pattern, I always made them a good few inches longer as they never get the bends as tight as the original and no one ever complained they were too long.
The customer who had a front to rear pipe for a Princess made up was the angriest I've ever seen anyone when he brought it back having threaded it all the way from master cylinder to the rear wheel to discover I had put the nut on backwards!
Being told if he had left it on the car we could have lent him a tool to reflare it in situ didn't help either.

Haha! I can sympathise with that mans fury though!
On the Capri it leaves the master cylinder and drops down the bulkhead, then there’s a series of bends to get it to follow the shapes of the bulkhead, heel board bit then the floor/chassis. I can probably try to make the curves sharper but it’s bad for access, unless I take the whole length of piping out again. Which I’m loath to do now, it was a real bastard to get it in!
The other concern I’ve got tightening the curved bits is accidentally overdoing it and kinking the pipe. If I do that I’m screwed and will probably have to start again.
I’ve got a hand held flare tool and a new pipe joiner with the right ends so while the fuel tank etc is all still out access isnt too bad to add a section in.

I’ll have a look though before doing anything and see if I can try to stretch it out a bit. I know how I left it last year I was getting pissed off so maybe I just threw the towel in without rethinking it first. Best doing that though than losing it and carrying on doing a shit job!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#1015 OFFLINE   JoeyEunos

JoeyEunos

• Full Members
  • 601 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationDurham

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

Meh, I've done very little over the last couple of months, like you say when the weather's so crap it's hard to find your mojo really.

Building this beauty back up is going to be lots of fun and really rewarding so saving it until it's warm out and you can actually enjoy the process is the angle I'd be looking at it from.

#1016 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 10,251 posts
  • 105 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

Don't know about the south coast but up in Bristol it's being pleasantly warm! At least warm enough from what it has been that my now thicker blood thinks it's warm.

I was out yesterday and it was quite usable weather. Especially if you're doing stuff inside the car, once you get moving it warms up quickly.

Oh and by the end of the month, the sunsets nearly at 6pm down here!
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#1017 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:14 AM

Don't know about the south coast but up in Bristol it's being pleasantly warm! At least warm enough from what it has been that my now thicker blood thinks it's warm.
I was out yesterday and it was quite usable weather. Especially if you're doing stuff inside the car, once you get moving it warms up quickly.
Oh and by the end of the month, the sunsets nearly at 6pm down here!

To be fair to it, it has been ok here the last week or so. Yesterday was like a spring day! Trouble is I was working.
Before this week though it’d been awful, wet and windy.

I think, if it’s dry this weekend I’ll push it out of the garage and try to get something done. From memory the interior sound deadening sheets are about ready to be stuck in, at least in the main cabin area. I think I’ve still got some waxing to do in the boot.
I’ll dig out the engine bay wiring loom today too if I get time. Once that’s cleaned and re-taped it can go back in. Once it’s in I can start throwing all the other engine bay bits back in too. Which shouldn’t take long!
I’m keen to get the engine running ASAP too. It’s been some years since it last ran.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users