Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Keeping them straight might take some doing, the new pipe sets come with their longest runs in coils.

Rolling it between two (flat!) planks will straighten them out nicely. Can't offer any advice on the 'best' way to bend them to shape, having never worked to such a high standard!

You da man! Cheers. Wonder if Rich wants to hire it out!?

Cool Mirrors they almost look like wing mirrors that have clung onto the doors for dear life..................

I love early models of cars,I really wanted a 74 Mustang II for the same reason,lots of different bits,Different Nosecone,Grill,Steering wheel and the Fuel cap was in a different place ;) Its the eary idiosyncrasys that make them even more interesting :)

They are very similar to the old wing mirrors. I was looking at a 73 Cortina with them yesterday, the arm is just more swept back and the base a different shape but other than that they’re close.

I love all those weird little odd differences on early cars too. Part of the attraction to American cars for me too as each model year has subtle (or not so subtle!) differences.

I tried explaining to someone at work yesterday what I’m doing and the lengths I’m going to to get it close to original as I can and he looked at me gone out! Apparently I’m a massive car nerd!! Nobody else would notice, even less would care about such details but you know what? Fuck it! I want it like this!

Had a few more bits arrive today,

post-3771-0-42623700-1528985099_thumb.jpeg

Wing shields, which should clean up nicely.

Seals for the windscreen wiper mechanism.

Brand new rubberey seals for the chrome door handles.

and some 20 pence coins for the handbrake ...?

I found all that shrapnel in the handbrake mech. No wonder it never worked!

I did find a few green shield stamps under the seat when I first got it, along with the original L badge. Didn’t you used to get them with petrol back in the day?

Probably before my time though!

Just googled to them to see which petrol they came with as I couldn't remember, I never knew they turned into Argos!

I never knew that either.

It says they ceased in 1991 so they were used longer than I thought. I was 7 in 91 so I still wouldn’t have taken any notice of them though.

I'd be interested to see how good the brake lines you've ordered are.  Up to now I've made them from scratch which is quite time consuming.  Originally the brake lines were steel and green in colour.  It's not so easy to get anymore and is quite hard to work with.

I fit copper lines to customers cars, but am tempted to try the green stuff on the Coupe if I can find some.

He won't be for long with this clunge magnet

Yeah rite!

The cars gorgeous but the rancid swamp donkey driving it is the killer!

Had some time this afternoon so decided to do something Capri related.

So when I start putting all this new and shiny shit back into the car I’ll be needing the bonnet open won’t I? So this afternoon since I got in from work I’ve started reconditioning an important component for doing this without damaging the bonnet or my head (any more!).

The bonnet prop.

My original one was in decent condition, just had a tiny patch or two of surface rust and some dirt and old paint. I’ve wire brushed it down, rubbed it down with 120 grit wet & dry and degreased it. Much better, but there’s still a couple of tiny bits of rust left the wet & dry can’t touch so I’ve smeared some Bilt Hamber Deox gel rust remover all over the prop. I’ll give it an hour to soak then wipe it all off and wash it down. Should be good for paint then.

A coat of acid etch primer and some satin black should see it looking nice. Then I’ll reassemble it with its new rubber grommet and retaining clip.

Not terribly exciting is it but it’s something and it will make a difference, plus I need it in place to do other things like reinstalling the servo and master cylinder ready to bend up the new brake pipes and fit them in the engine bay.

I’ll try to find some little pop rivets this evening too so I can fix the VIN plate and data plate back onto the slam panel.

I might drag the heater box down to the shed too and take that apart in an evening. Clean it up, test the fan and install the new seals and heater matrix. Then that’ll be another big part ready to go back into the car.

Take the bonnet off and store it carefully.It will make things a lot easier.

About 10 years ago or so, when this car was in its bronze phase, I stupidly tried to alter the deeply irritating to me panel gap between bonnet and wing. I was on my own and tried doing it regardless. I slackened off the hinge nuts to pull the bonnet across sideways a bit but as soon as I slackened them the bonnet slid backwards and hit the scuttle panel chipping off paint all along the edge! What a dumb ass!! Stupid thing to even attempt on your own really but I was impatient and not thinking and the bonnet on these weighs a ton.

I don’t really want to disturb any of the panels now tbh. They’re all really well aligned and the paints still new and soft and I’d hate to let anything happen to it. I don’t think I could store the bonnet anywhere either.

The engine and box are already in so that’s the worst of it done, most of the rest is smaller items, wiring, pipes etc so I’ll just have to be very careful what I’m doing.

I’ve been trying to think back about how the brake pipes etc looked and where they ran before this started... I can’t remember!!

There might have to be a degree of make it up as you go along or wing it about this rebuild!

Anyway, bonnet prop is now finished. Last coat of black has just gone on so should be dry by morning.

Was going to get this out onto the driveway today and start doing something but it’s been spitting and threatening to rain so I left it.

Instead I found the heater box and started on that.

Similar story here as a lot of the other bits on this car, it’s a mk1 unit and not the same as later cars.

It’s a U.K. built Smiths unit, none of that kraut tosh here!

Of course this also means there’s fuck all available to rebuild it with so I’ll see what happens with this...

post-3771-0-78117500-1529160023_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-50169000-1529160046_thumb.jpeg

This is the built up heater box as it came out of the car two and a bit years ago.a quality British item!

Straight away one thing that’s wrong is the shorter control cable was broken. It should have a little coil at both ends to attach to the heater flap arm and heater control switch on the dash. Mines lost one end so I’ll need to replace or repair that. It works ok though, I think this has been damaged for some time as the heater has always blown hot only. Reason being the damaged cable controls a flap inside the heater box that shuts off airflow to the matrix - hence hot only!

Opening it up is a simple matter of removing shit loads of tiny screws and two clips on the flap hinges. Then the whole end of the box lifts off revealing the flaps, and matrix.

post-3771-0-31327000-1529160405_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-65194200-1529160434_thumb.jpeg

There was loads of old dry leaves and other shit inside, loads of disinterested foam from the insulation material too. Ive emptied it all out and brushed the dust away and everything looks fine bar a bit of surface rust inside the matrix compartment. There was also a huge disgusting spider living inside! I hate spiders so I left it outside for him to run off on his own!

I’ve rubbed the rust down and painted it with rust converter, once dry I’ll give it a blast of black paint.

Now onto the matrix itself.

post-3771-0-20070000-1529160742_thumb.jpeg

Pulling out of the box and it’s a bit grubby but in surprisingly good condition. I’ve brushed the dust off it and removed the original foam and polystyrene insulation and it is in good nik. It’s also tiny compared to the new one.

post-3771-0-76304200-1529160859_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-01351800-1529160881_thumb.jpeg

I’ve trial fitted the new one (all metal British made!) and it does fit in the space available. The out and in pipes are in the same place but the radiator is quite a bit bigger, almost filling the matrix compartment.

The pipes do foul the heater box as they’re a slightly different shape but that just requires me to open out the holes on the box a bit more which should be fine. The new one comes with a strip of self adhesive foam insulation to wrap around it before sliding it into position and closing the box up so I’m 99% sure it’ll work perfectly fine. It is also listed as suitable for all Capri’s regardless of which year. Maybe the original small matrix were found to be a bit shit so were enlarged on later cars and replacement parts?

I’ll try it and see I suppose.

Worse comes to worse I’ll clean, backflush and reuse to original matrix if I have to. Maybe even fill it with cheap coke overnight to dislodge any shit inside. Lucky that it’s in good nik really.

I’ve got new foam seals ready to fit to the box too and I’ll give the outside of the box a coat of black paint too to freshen it up, you won’t see it under the dash but still.

Insides had a quick blow over with some black paint. Looks much nicer now.

I’ve offered up the new big matrix and it will definitely fit and work so I’ve opened out the in/out tube holes in the box to fit the slightly different positions of the new matrix. Slide the matrix in and it fits very well.

Only issue is that it’s a bit of a loose fit being narrower than the original.

post-3771-0-56648500-1529170279_thumb.jpeg

Here’s the new one about to go into place. I’ve wrapped it with the self adhesive foam insulation that came with it. It’s better but would still rattle around so I’ve found some more self adhesive foam that’s thicker and denser which seems perfect.

I might still need to use one of the original polystyrene spacers on this but it’s worked well so far.

post-3771-0-86783400-1529170517_thumb.jpeg

Here’s the inside of the matrix housing with the extra foam pads in place.

Once it’s screwed back together I’ll use a bit of the leftover black gloss engine enamel I had from painting the engine.

All I’ll need to do now is find a replacement short control cable.