Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Oh I forgot.  Ford hid the gap between the rear windows and trim by painting that area black so you didn't notice.

Those pics should come in handy Rich, cheers for that.

That would make sense if they painted that pillar black. When the car was bronze and silver/blue before that I can’t say I noticed that gap at all. It was there but didn’t stand out so you didn’t really notice. Now the cars in quite a vibrant blue you can see it very easily from certain angles!

I’m looking forward to getting it home and getting stuck into it for the rebuild. There’s going to be a lot of new stuff to buy though. New fuel piping, brake lines, screws and fixings, there’s all sorts of bits you need but don’t think about until this stage. I’ll be getting the various bits chromed at some point too, bumpers, wheel nuts etc etc. Then the interior wants retrimming which I’ve already started enquiries for... apparently full interior retrims are not cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking aces, it’s bloody well done!!

Just had an email from the guys doing the work and they’re about finished. I’ve just got to sort the invoice out and pay the last bit then they’re going to deliver the car to me on a flatbed transporter truck. Saves me pissing about hiring a trailer.

Two years and three months since it left here! Lots of unpleasant bollocks along the way but it’s now done and coming back home again so it’s worked out well in the end.

I need to empty the garage now and make some room for it... there’s shit everywhere at the moment!

I can’t wait to get it back!!

Pics and updates in due course.

Once it’s back and I’m sorted I’ll run through it all and do a proper write up of what’s what. I can do costs aswell if anyone’s bothered about that? Might help if anyone’s considering doing similar!

That's great news Dan.

Will be a boost working on it over the summer, just taking your time to get things right.

Did you finish the Mk2 Transit?

Yeah I can’t wait to have it home and get into the refit of everything. Plus, when it’s here that also means it’s not somewhere else hemorrhaging money left right and centre!

The Transit is just about done. The logbook now reads ‘motor caravan’ so the hard works over. Just got a few odd finishing bits to do. It’s usable now though.

I might try to get it out to the New Forrest soon, just for a weekend or something to see how well it works. It’s local so if anything is a problem I’m only a few miles away from home.

I’ve also got in touch with a trimmer about total retrim of the Capri interior!

Have to see what he says but it’s in hand.

I’ve got two complete interiors to play with, one poor one pretty good. I’m going to try not to use the decent brown interior though... it’s still nice and still original so I don’t want to chop it about really unless I have to. Someone else might be able to use it.

I would love to have a car from my past, that I really had a connection with, delivered to my drive in fresh paint, awaiting a rebuild, at my leisure.

It may not have felt like it at times and I'm well aware you have paid, handsomely, for this privilege but I wish I were you right now man!

Cheers.

I’ve been pretty shitty recently but this is a great pick up!

I’m so glad I persevered with it now. I was going to just give up and get rid when it all went wrong but that would have been the worst thing to do really. The money invested would have been hard to walk from but I value this car much much more than money. I’m lucky enough to be able to say that and earn the money back again but I couldn’t have ever replaced this car.

Its coming up to three weeks since mine was home,dont know how you have coped Dan! Excellent News!

Bt you cant wait to get your hands on it again ;)

I know! I’ve had this car for my entire adult life, almost the second I left school I bought it! It’s never been away from me for that long until this time. The drive still looks like something is missing, that familiar Capri shape.

And yes, I can’t wait to get my paws on it again!

There’s still a long way to go before I can drive it again but just to have it back home again will be good enough for now.

I really like that shade of blue.

Thanks. I love Miami blue. It’s such a lovely vibrant colour but not too ‘in your face’ or vulgar. Suits 70’s cars I think. Although it’s a Ford colour from the Capri paint pallet for 74 I think it’s a nice enough colour for anything tbh. It wouldn’t look out of place on any other car I don’t think.

Anyway, bill has just been paid by online banking. Transport is being arranged so hopefully it’ll be home soon.

Once it’s back I’ll have it on the drive so I’ll get some photos of it in daylight, get them on here. Fingers crossed it’ll be a nice day!

Then it’ll be wrapped up snug in its purpose built garage ready for rebuilding.

While I’m waiting for the car to be delivered I’ve been contemplating the next big item in need of some attention, the interior.

I’ve got two complete interiors for this.

The cars original and now very fucked black one and a much better though not perfect brown one.

The brown one is pretty nice really. The only seat with damage is a split seam and worn through section on the drivers seat. Door cards aren’t terrible but have had speakers cut into them unfortunately and are starting to warp and crinkle a bit.

Here’s the brown:

post-3771-0-10027100-1528208720_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-93740200-1528208876_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-96444600-1528208903_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-50442200-1528208923_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-87314800-1528208943_thumb.jpeg

I would reuse this interior but...

First, it’s not the colour I want! It’s nice enough but I want to put it back to original inside. I know I’ve colour changed the outside but I really like the black and think it’d look better with the blue paint.

Second, the brown interior is full vinyl. No big deal but in summer it can get seriously hot and makes your back sweaty! The cloth centres in the black seats stop this happening.

Now the cars original black interior.

post-3771-0-13267000-1528209297_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-79646600-1528209333_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-82320300-1528209355_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-89866800-1528209384_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-89039200-1528209439_thumb.jpeg

As you can see the black one is in a bad bad way!

I’m discussing a full interior retrim with a local trimmer but I’m in two minds what to do for the best.

If I’m going to do the full retrim, then in theory it makes no difference if the black one is fucked as all the foam and covers etc etc will be replaced anyway.

But on the other hand the brown interior is miles better so might be better to start with instead?

But, the brown interior is still all original and still pretty nice. I don’t want to cut it up and replace it if I can help it! It’d be a shame in my opinion. Even if I don’t use it someone else might?

I’ve sent some photos of what I have to the trimmers and see what they think.

Either way though these interiors aren’t particularly easy to come by anymore, especially in any sort of decent condition. And to make things worse there’s lots of colours and variations in style too so getting a match won’t be easy. The only real option is to retrim them all together if you want a top notch interior, which I now have got to do! Anything less wouldn’t do the car justice!

Guest Hooli

Have the black one retrimmed, sell the brown one to someone that needs a tidy brown interior :-)

That but only sell it after the retrim is done. Being in a lot better nick it may be handy for patterns if the original is too buggered to be copied easily.

ETA: I much prefer the black too, especially because of the half cloth look.

Another vote for black. Are there not companies out there doing this sort of thing on an exchange basis? You might find someone with a freshly reupholstered set of seats ready to go.

I think there are companies that do that but so far I’ve not seen any for these.

They’re not that common though as it’s only early mk2’s that use them, and the rear seat is a one piece backrest (base spec misery!) Most seem to be split folding backrests.

Definitely get the black interior retrimmed, but I would also get your trimmer to repair the damaged brown seat at the same time to maximise its value if you sell it.

Good idea! It’s literally just the drivers seat that’s damaged. One split stitch seem on the base and the worn hole on the outer bolster.

I’ll definitely go for black then I think. I think it’ll look nicer with the blue paint, plus the cloth bit will be nicer than full vinyl.

Just been to see the car and pay the last part of the bill in person if you know what I mean!

It’s all ready to go, sat in the doorway waiting. It’s being picked up on Friday morning, dropped off here about 11:00ish. I’ll get a few pics while it’s sat on the driveway, hopefully it’ll be a nice day.

Where it’s parked now in the unit doorway the suns shining straight onto its back end. The colour looks gorgeous in sunlight!

I cant wait!!

Edit; just thought. This means I’m going to have to go clear out the garage... shit!

I’m discussing a full interior retrim with a local trimmer but I’m in two minds what to do for the best.

If I’m going to do the full retrim, then in theory it makes no difference if the black one is fucked as all the foam and covers etc etc will be replaced anyway.

But on the other hand the brown interior is miles better so might be better to start with instead?

But, the brown interior is still all original and still pretty nice. I don’t want to cut it up and replace it if I can help it! It’d be a shame in my opinion. Even if I don’t use it someone else might?

post-17915-0-87328900-1528287931_thumb.jpg

"Nah mate, whatchoo wanna do, right, is get yer black interior, right, retrim the back in blue, yeah, then retrim the front in brown, okay? Then get the brown set, retrim the front in blue, then retrim the back in red, you follow me? And then - oi, Keith! Keith mate! Yeah, you know that old Capri in your lock-up? This geezer's gonna need your front seats, alright? Yeah, yeah, he'll give em back. So. Where were we? Oh yeah, so get Keith's front seats retrimmed in black, then get your red back seats, give them a good going over with black boot polish... oi, where you going?"

Do whatever your heart tells you! It's your ultimate Capri.