Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Project Capri. Heater box refurb. Pics pg.31.

Project

• Please log in to reply
933 replies to this topic

#931 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,998 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

Awww isn't it cute? it's like an engine, but smaller :D

Seriously though, looks excellent Dan. It's gonna be perfect when finished.

You can even get in there with the engine and work on it! Before now I’ve sat on the slam panel with my legs down each side of the front of the engine to work. Saves leaning over!

Brake servo and master cylinder are both now installed too. Stupidly easy without a dash in the way.
I’ve sorted the old brake pipes, I’ve layed them out next to the car to see how they went (I’d forgotten!), pretty simple really.
The new line kit has a number tag on each length of line. You cross reference that number to a list supplied in the kit and it tells you exactly where that line is for. Looks a piece of piss to do tbh. I’ve offered the new up to the old lines and they’re all present and correct. There’s an odd mix of metric and imperial unions on these cars, again all these are new and ready fixed onto the ready flared pipes, all of them are in the correct places. Seems like a good kit so far.
Only thing not included is the 3 way splitter that bolts to the inner drivers side wing under the bonnet. There’s no valves or anything on this car. 1 port on the master cylinder does the two front brakes via the 3 way splitter. The other port on the master cylinder goes under the car to one rear wheel cylinder, then another brake line comes off the bleed nipple port of the wheel cylinder, across the axle to the other wheel cylinder which has its bleed nipple in place as usual. Easy and simple!
Just need a set of three brake hoses first.
  • JeeExEll, Hooli and AndySnapper like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#932 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,998 posts
  • 41 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Made a start on the brake lines today.
I’ll be honest, I’ve been dreading doing these! I’ve sorted the new kit in order of what pipe does what and labelled the original pipes with numbers to match the new ones. There’s five short lengths in the new kit so I did it that way to avoid bending the wrong pipe.

Here’s the old ones.

7E034C1E-BF26-4B0A-BA5B-AC100D683798.jpeg

943740BB-6D9A-4F14-A151-AC9269B1CDB0.jpeg

9C307819-D6C6-490F-BC5B-C01FE7A27BFC.jpeg

These ones are mostly original steel ones. There’s one short one connected to the T piece for the RH front flexi hose that is a hand made MOT type replacement.
So far I’ve started with the short RHF pipe, that bent up very nicely and seems fine. Then the master cylinder to T piece pipe. Again, easy and went nicely.
Then the long pipe from T piece to LHF wheel. This was an epic twat! Once the long rolls are uncoiled it becomes a right pain in the arse to keep bending it and moving it as your going along copying the original. In the end I decided to use masking tape to tape the new and old pipes together so I could get the profile about right off the car. Bend up about a foot long section then tape it down and so on.
I did try straightening the new pipe before bending everything to shape but it doesn’t work very well in this case as there’s shit loads of kinks, bends, direction changes etc. Its just pointless really.
The big pipe actually looks pretty good so far but one end is not finished. It’s got to simply bend 90 degrees and go into the T piece on the inner wing. But to get the bend in the right place I needed to clips that hold the pipes in place onto the bulkhead. These were in a bag somewhere!
Took an hour to find them, they were minging so the plastic ones have been scrubbed clean with soapy water and refitted to the bulkhead. The three steel ones were cleaned and are soaking in some rust remover overnight before getting a coat or paint tomorrow.
For now then I’ve cleaned the original T piece, this was filthy but now it’s shiny brass. Bolted that to the inner wing loosely and screwed the two short new pipes into it and the master cylinder. They fit very well if I do say so!
The master cylinder pipe needed a slight tweek as it was fouling the servo to start with. It’d likely have started rattling if I’d left it but so far so good.
I’ll still need to straighten a couple of sections once everything is in place permanently but I’m happy so far.

44E451EC-60E4-4C9E-A753-63DC8FF502C5.jpeg

I do like the bare copper and brass look tbh! I think painting the pipes green would look a bit shit on a blue car so my plan is to loosely assemble everything to prove it fits then remove it all again, tape over the unions and threads then spray them all with clear lacquer to preserve the copper colour! I like the colour against the blue paint. Then reassemble more permanently.

So far I’ve found the kit to be pretty good. Only difficulty comes if your original pipes are missing (my rear most pipe across the rear axle is) or if someone has replaced an original pipe. It means the original profile can’t be simply copied to the new pipe and the MOT style pipe replacements are rarely done to a high standard! The shape only basically resembles the original.
It’s taking a hell of a lot longer to do all this than I thought it would too. You’ve got to be so careful with the new paint. Keep everything clean and of course find all the little clips and fittings.
  • DeeJay, junkyarddog, RayMK and 1 other like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#933 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 12,252 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 PM

I'm not actually sure the engine bay of these were that good when new.

Looks bloody brilliant!

• danthecapriman likes this

Hyundai i10 auto - white goods shite

Rover 75 1.8 auto - wafty kettle

Ford Galaxy - big red shite with added space

Triumph Toledo - 2.0 for added sleeper shite

Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto - crusty shite

MG ZT Mean Green Machine

MGF 1.8 VVC BRG floppytop shite

#934 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,998 posts
  • 41 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

I'm not actually sure the engine bay of these were that good when new.

Looks bloody brilliant!

Probably not!
It’s actually quite dusty in there at the moment and there’s lots of polish residue around from the paint getting flatted and polished up. Needs a wipe down with a microfibre cloth really.
  • Christine likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users