Project Capri. Back on the road! New earths.

danthecapriman

Incredible.

Make sure you’ve got some hardcore security on that door, maybe a post in front of the door, and then a car in front of the post in front of the door.

Behind gates.

And dogs.

Lots of big fucking dogs.

With rabies.

Russian rabies.

Lovely car of which you can be justifiably proud.

Seriously though Dan, keep her out of sight and under lock and key with something heavy in front of your garage doors!

Squirrel2

Weathers looking a bit shit at the moment, says rain and thunder on my phone so I’ve rolled it into the garage.

It only just fits! Loads of space width wise but I’ve got about 5 inches to spare at the ends! Once the bumpers are back on it’ll be even less! Steering was ‘interesting’! The racks in place but the column is held in with cable ties and it’s not exactly held very tightly!

Security. It’s a wooden (but pretty substantial) garage so it’ll always be a compromise but the doors are beefy, hinges are massive and won’t allow the doors off unless they’re wide open.

I’ve got the standard lock, which is shit but I’ll keep it nonetheless. Also have a ginormous hasp and staple that’s bolted through the doors with dome headed bolts. Can only be undone from inside and with the hasp twisted round unlocked. The lock is a hefty Squire lock with anti theft shrouds around the shank. It’s a bloody expensive lock! The house is occupied almost all the time aswell and another car is almost always blocking the doors to the garage.

I’m pretty sure it’s safe and sound in there.

I need to come up with a plan now to get it put back together. Need to give the credit card a pounding on Bilt Hamber’s website too. Not a job I’m looking forward too tbh but it has to be done and best done now while the cars empty.

I’ve had it in bits pretty well stripped before but never this far to this standard so the next bit will be a bit of a learning curve! I think it’s just about being clean, careful and methodical.

MOT'd and taxed by Tuesday????

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Ha! It’s tax and MOT exempt. I could* drive it now if I wanted and then laugh in the face of the law when they attempt and fail to pull me!

Baby monitors are brilliant cheap security devices, someone so much as farts in the garage and you will know about it.

That’s a good idea actually.

I’ve got a Claymore mine outside the doors too! And punji stick pit at the side access door.

Ha! It’s tax and MOT exempt. I could* drive it now if I wanted and then laugh in the face of the law when they attempt and fail to pull me!

That’s a good idea actually.

I’ve got a Claymore mine outside the doors too! And punji stick pit at the side access door.

Have you seen the alarm mines? They use a blank shotgun cartridge and used a lot by farmers, perfectly legal and FUCKING loud, scare the shit out of anything, including you when you go out at 6am to put the bins out and forget one (not that I would ever be so stupid you understand).

Bloody hell, that does look the part, Dan!  I'm sad I didn't get to see it in April, but there's always next year, right?

I’ll pay your train fare down if you want to rebuild it for me!

Since I’m sat around at the min I’ve just done a google search for Ford VIN plate decoding. Very interesting if your a really sad sad bugger like me.

Tells you how here https://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ford-vin-plate-decoder.pdf

So using my VIN plate.

Type = BECP = Capri Coupe built in Great Britain

Version = L

Vehicle number (first letters are the important bit) = BBECPJ = Britain, Halewood, Capri, Coupe, and the final two letters are the month and year of build. PJ = May 1974. So that hand written doodle I found must have said May not March. It was faint to be fair!

Drive = 2 = RHD

Engine = LC = 1600

Gear = B = 4 speed manual

Axle = W = 3.778:1

Colour = 34 = 3 = Stardust Silver, 4 = 1974

Trim = A1 = Black Cloth

All checks out! So that black interior is almost definitely this cars original.

Halewood, so that would have been there when my dad was a General Foreman :) :) :)

Small world Ken! So there’s every chance your dad would have watched this very car go by on the line then!

I read somewhere recently that although the Capri II was launched in Feb 1974, deliveries didn't commerce until May. Maybe strike action - you couldn't buy a Mark III Cortina until 1971, four months after launch due to a very long Dagenham strike.

Could very well be. I’ve heard the German cars were much better in terms of build quality and industrial disputes. As a Halewood car it’s done very very well to survive.

Pretty Dan, pretty.

Tape your zips when working on it, paints still soft.

I'd consider a high dolly to get under it easily and help roll it in/ out of your garage. Frankly, if it's out, I'd be parking the truck in front of it, blocking the roadside view.

Enjoy the recomm

Pretty Dan, pretty.

Tape your zips when working on it, paints still soft.

I'd consider a high dolly to get under it easily and help roll it in/ out of your garage. Frankly, if it's out, I'd be parking the truck in front of it, blocking the roadside view.

Enjoy the recomm

Yeah I learnt about taping zips the last time I had it sprayed. I had a fleece jacket on and lent in over the sill to do something. When I looked the zip had crushed a big chip out of the paint.

The refit this time will all be done in the nude! Sod the neighbors. Anyone want to come help!?

Incredible.

Make sure you’ve got some hardcore security on that door, maybe a post in front of the door, and then a car in front of the post in front of the door.

Behind gates.

And dogs.

Lots of big fucking dogs.

With rabies.

Russian rabies.

and up the project insurance valuation

and fit a ground anchor and a fuck off chain around the back axle.

just like I have..

I've just had a yogurt truck crash in my pants after a severe Vic Reeves thigh rub. Ooooft, nurse, get me my pills. I'm a full on Capri lover, and am jealous, I've recently spent a while chopping up 2 model Capris to make a right hand drive Mk2 model. So wonderful that a base model survives, making it rarer than unicorn farts, will it gain those 1600 shield badges or the 1.6 wing badges?

I've just had a yogurt truck crash in my pants after a severe Vic Reeves thigh rub. Ooooft, nurse, get me my pills. I'm a full on Capri lover, and am jealous, I've recently spent a while chopping up 2 model Capris to make a right hand drive Mk2 model. So wonderful that a base model survives, making it rarer than unicorn farts, will it gain those 1600 shield badges or the 1.6 wing badges?

I’ve got a pair of new old stock 1.6 wing badges but mine being early should have the 1600 wing shields, so I’ll probably get a pair of those instead.

Weren’t the wing shields colour coded depending on which type of engine was fitted? I’m fairly sure the type I need should the black ones?

Dan,

1600L ↓

stEW4oj.jpg

2000GT ↓

EaBdkwa.jpg

1600L ↓

97XGZ0N.jpg

PW4qfYa.jpg

A few different styles available. Looks like the black ones with diagonal line are for 1600L.

(A pair currently on ebay, £30 bin, ouch !. I used to collect this sort of thing from scrappies as a wee boy. Had hundreds of different kinds, was fascinated by little detail differences which usually went un-noticed. Threw / gave them all away when I started driving in 1986.

Feckin idiot).

NMFK1ik.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA-MK-3-TAUNUS-CAPRI-MK1-1600-SHIELD-WING-BADGES-EMBLEMS/232782936185?hash=item3632f1b879:g:r8wAAOSwhfdaXL3a

(Note, inaccurately listed for 'Mk1', seller also has badges listed for '2.5V6 Cortinas', etc, but hey ho, some nice stock).

6AgYmky.jpg

Red 'II' decal on most body colours. Decal was deleted 1976 models-on.

Dan,

1600L ↓stEW4oj.jpg

2000GT ↓EaBdkwa.jpg

1600L ↓97XGZ0N.jpgPW4qfYa.jpg

A few different styles available. Looks like the black ones with diagonal line are for 1600L.

(A pair currently on ebay, £30 bin, ouch !. I used to collect this sort of thing from scrappies as a wee boy. Had hundreds of different kinds, was fascinated by little detail differences which usually go un-noticed. Threw / gave them all away when I started driving in 1986.

Feckin idiot). NMFK1ik.jpghttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA-MK-3-TAUNUS-CAPRI-MK1-1600-SHIELD-WING-BADGES-EMBLEMS/232782936185?hash=item3632f1b879:g:r8wAAOSwhfdaXL3a

(Note, inaccurately listed for 'Mk1', seller also has badges listed for '2.5V6 Cortinas', etc).6AgYmky.jpg

Red 'II' decal on most body colours. Decal was deleted 1976 models-on.

Sweet! I’ll have a look out for a pair of the black with diagonal stripe wing shields then.

I’ve got two of the original early L badges, the worn original and a new old stock that’ll be going on the car.

Got the ‘Capri’ and ‘FORD’ badges. And I’ve got two new ‘II’ vinyl logos for the tailgate too.

Those wing shields, I’m sure I read somewhere the colour related to the engine type (red Xflow, black Pinto) and the logo in the coloured bit related to cars spec. Might be wrong though?

Cars staying in the garage this weekend. I’ve got other tasks to do unfortunately involving replacing fence posts in the garden.

Plan of attack though to start off:

Order shit loads of Dynax S50 wax, sound deadening pads for the floors and inside various panels etc.

Order new brake line kit. Order new wiring looms.

Fit sound deadening pads, pump car fat with cavity wax. Then refit new looms and brake lines. Then handbrake cable, clutch cable etc.

Once that’s done I can start refitting the engine bay, fuel tank and pipes and dashboard/steering column etc.

Capri II / III parts diagrams taken from microfiche.

Not great quality but may be usable for reference.

Rebuild your Capri in 4 different languages.

Maybe you already have access to better quality, but here if you want it

↓ ↓

http://capriwiki.com/index.php?title=Capri_II(III)_Parts_Catalog#A01._Body_Items