Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Project Capri. Fresh start. Engine work pg 8.

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   trigger

trigger

• Full Members
  • 20,017 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationIpswich

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

The original 4 speed in my Cortina was a million times sweeter than the T9 i replaced it with, saying that after driving Semi-C's Cortina last night which also had a T9 fitted i think it was more down to my gearbox as his was very tight and smooth just like my old 4 speed was.
  • danthecapriman and warren t claim like this

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500 SE

2004 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec

#242 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,910 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

The original 4 speed in my Cortina was a million times sweeter than the T9 i replaced it with, saying that after driving Semi-C's Cortina last night which also had a T9 fitted i think it was more down to my gearbox as his was very tight and smooth just like my old 4 speed was.

My mate had an 86 D plate Capri 2.0 Laser with the 5 speed. His was quite worn and wasn't a very nice box to use. Yet, as you say some feel really good. I guess at the age they are now most of its to do with how well they've aged more than the actual box?

His Capri Laser absolutely flew though, with its twin choke Webber. It'd leave my mk2 standing with ease. I'd always get him back though as his used to keep breaking down! It was a giffer owned car that had been sat in a garage for years and the fuel system kept getting blocked.
My mk2 was slow but never once left me at the roadside broke down.
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#243 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,794 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

his was very tight and smooth.

Oooh errr mrs
  • trigger, danthecapriman, Stanky and 1 other like this
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#244 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 1,971 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Another upvote for the humble pinto/4speed combo. The Sierra genuinely does still feed good in this regard.

It's just the rest of it...
  • danthecapriman likes this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  208k|   1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet.  99k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  179k|   1983 Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#245 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,794 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

Do you know I couldn't give a low mileage sierra type e 4 speed box away a while back
  • BorniteIdentity likes this

#246 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

• Full Members
  • 4,229 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Do you know I couldn't give a low mileage sierra type e 4 speed box away a while back

Funny isn't it, even 2.0 pintos were hard to shift 5-10 years ago, even a couple of year back they were sensible money. Just seem to have gone stupid over the past 18 months.

#247 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 3,938 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

I once broke a type9, one of the shafts snapped next to the 3rd gear cluster. I can't remember which shaft but it make a hell of a noise unless it was in 3rd. That was when I found out a 4cyl type9 bolts straight up to a 2.8 V6 even though everyone says it doesn't. The input shaft is too short so it wouldn't have lasted long though, but I wrote the XR4i off long before killing the 'new' box.

#248 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,910 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Heard back from the new bodyshop guy.
All looking good! The work is all doable in my budget, the rear quarter panels will be getting fitted in full. I was going to just use the lower half of them to replace the rotten bodged originals but the guy said it's not going to save me anything doing it that way so you might aswell use the whole thing and cut down on welding right way across the panel. So they will be getting spot welded on as they would have been from new.
There's nothing particularly troublesome left really and he's confident it's a simple job, just needs everything aligning properly. So that's all good news!

The painter has said it's a really good car too, he said my colour choice is good for it as he's done another Capri in Miami blue and said it does look lovely.
The VIN tag I did looks great now it's had a few coats of lacquer so I think it's going look brilliant with the car in this colour.

I've been doing a bit of checking up on the engine now it's clean and the details are readable!
The engine number is the same as the end of the VIN number, so it is indeed this cars original unit! This is a nice little detail I think that it's managed to retain its original engine for its whole life.
The date code for the engine is May 1974. This ties in perfectly with other markings etc I've found on bits of the car. So it's looking like my car was built in May 1974, making it a pretty early one! I think they started in January 1974 for the mk2 so given how few must be left now mine must be amongst the oldest left by now.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get the oil out of the engine, sump pan off and start fitting the new gaskets and painting the block and sump. I've got everything I need now, the only outstanding part left before the engine goes back in is a clutch kit. Seems to be a few variations with these (diameter and number splines) so I'll take the old one off and measure it up before getting one from the local motor factors.
Also got to paint my new leaf springs this weekend now the paints turned up.

Good news all round so far! Mojo is returning for this at long last!
  • Spottedlaurel, Heidel_Kakao, eddyramrod and 11 others like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#249 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,794 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Keep up the progress it will soon be done, even though I havnt updated my thread i have been chipping away

What colour are you going for on the engine?

#250 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 1,971 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 01:08 PM

I'm so excited for you!!

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  208k|   1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet.  99k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  179k|   1983 Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#251 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,910 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Keep up the progress it will soon be done even though I havnt updated my thread i have been chipping away
What colour are you going for on the engine?

I'm going for pretty much factory look for the engine.
Block and sump will be painted in black engine enamel.
Rocker cover and cam belt cover will be Ford corporate blue enamel.
Dizzy casing, inlet manifold, fuel pump, water pump etc will be left unpainted ally colour.
Exhaust manifold will be blasted then painted silver/grey.

The gearbox has a black bell housing and main body with the inspection cover etc left silver.
Axles, crossmember, struts, etc etc are all satin black.

Any nut or bolt heads showing will be either painted a suitable colour or plated in that goldish silvery colour as factory.

The enamels are actually American ones but should be close enough, and they are good quality (expensive!) so should go on nicely and last well. They are exactly the same as the ones used on my Mercury's V8 engine and do look very nice.
  • Heidel_Kakao, oldford, eddyramrod and 2 others like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users