Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Project Capri. Fresh start. Bodyshell pics as of now(ish) pg 11.

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#331 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Moar engine bollocks! Nearly there now though, and I must admit I think it looks ace!

I followed the great advice you lot gave about the rocker cover. The paint said oil resistant but who knows what could happen to it when it's getting hot oil flung at it? There's no way I'm going to risk blocking oil ways or the pick up pipe so I've stripped the blue off the inside of the rocker cover.
I used a very potent chemical paint stripper, it smelt fucking awfull but it eat right through the enamel and the primer beneath within minutes. This then washed off with warm soapy water and a stiff nail brush. The outside survived untouched so no harm done. Better safe than sorry!
After that had dried off I smeared the inside with engine oil to stop flash rusting since the engine will be sat unused for a few months yet.
Then it got a new cork gasket and bolted in place on the engine. All the bolts were tightened and I've even replaced the two rubber seal washers on the front cam bearing end for new ones. Once it was all tight I painted the bolt heads and washers in the same blue enamel.

Various other brackets etc have been put back in place. The cam belt cover got a new '1600' sticker, and I've painted the engine number, casting number etc in silver enamel. Same for the tiny timing marks on the bottom pulley. Finishing touches really, that stand out nicely against the black block and show a bit of attention to detail.

35214226143_308ece7fd4_o.jpgIMG_0554 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36024833055_260226a650_o.jpgIMG_0552 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35853536242_99dc553e24_o.jpgIMG_0551 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35853539372_eb27875e23_o.jpgIMG_0550 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35214228803_5143d4df90_o.jpgIMG_0553 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Painting the engine number was a pain, the numbers are very faint and none are stamped in line either!
Not much left now. Engine mounts need to dry properly before I bolt the rubber mounts (brand new) back on and the exhaust manifold. Not made my mind up yet on that. The cast original does look a bit shit tbh, so I might look at a tubular replacement. Any recommendations? It must look good though, no boy racer shit!
  • richardthestag, Banger Kenny, eddyramrod and 7 others like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#332 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,044 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

top work, what stripper did you use? Most I have tried struggle with enamel

• danthecapriman likes this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily

Pug 307 - son's daily runner

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#333 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

top work, what stripper did you use? Most I have tried struggle with enamel

Believe it or not this stuff https://www.phoenix-...olvents/125pq18

It's a model making paint stripper I've used on my model trains! It's pretty strong stuff though, as I say it cut right through this enamel with ease. Just got to be careful where the stuff gets to as it will start dissolving any paint surface as soon as it touches it. Even a tiny bit flicked off the old toothbrush I was using and landed on one of my freshly painted engine mounts and it did mark it!

The silver enamel I used for the numbers is also model paint! A Humbrol tin. Does the job.
  • richardthestag and eddyramrod like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#334 OFFLINE   adw1977

adw1977

• Full Members
  • 309 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

IMG_0553 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Painting the engine number was a pain, the numbers are very faint and none are stamped in line either!

Worth the effort, though - looks great.

#335 OFFLINE   TripleRich

TripleRich

• Full Members
  • 109 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWelding the Granada

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Believe it or not this stuff https://www.phoenix-...olvents/125pq18

It's a model making paint stripper I've used on my model trains! It's pretty strong stuff though, as I say it cut right through this enamel with ease. Just got to be careful where the stuff gets to as it will start dissolving any paint surface as soon as it touches it. Even a tiny bit flicked off the old toothbrush I was using and landed on one of my freshly painted engine mounts and it did mark it!

The silver enamel I used for the numbers is also model paint! A Humbrol tin. Does the job.

I've got some of that!  Bloody good stuff, the paint they do is very nice too.

#336 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,858 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Ashley manifolds are plain looking and pretty cheap as well, i'll pop to the shed and pap a picture of mine for you
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#337 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,858 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

The only problem with them is the paint they paint them with is shoite and burns off quickly, this one didnt actually come painted in the black paint, in hindsite i should have painted it in bbq paint, thats only surface corrosion so I still could

20170719_191744.jpg
  • danthecapriman, eddyramrod and Hooli like this

#338 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I've got some of that!  Bloody good stuff, the paint they do is very nice too.

It is good stuff! I've got none left now after using it on this. It's never failed on anything I've tried it on so far though.
I was looking at the rocker cover wondering how best to strip it. I was going to try brake fluid but then remembered I had this!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#339 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

The only problem with them is the paint they paint them with is shoite and burns off quickly, this one didnt actually come painted in the black paint, in hindsite i should have painted it in bbq paint, thats only surface corrosion so I still could
attachicon.gif20170719_191744.jpg

I've just been looking at the Ashley manifolds, they seem pretty good and not too pricey.

How do they fit to the rest of the exhaust system though?
Presumably you simply bin the cast manifold and first downpipe section then just slide the centre and rear sections onto the new Ashley pipe? I was wondering about pipe dimension differences new - old.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#340 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,858 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

I have only ever gone and got stainless exhausts made to the manifolds at my local powerflow (guaranteed for life no worries then and you can have them as loud or as quiet as you like) but there would be nothing stopping you making a sleeve to fit a standard one up to it, if it helps i would happily measure pipe diameters and overall dimensions next time im outside which will probably be friday, iirc the pipe at the end of the 4 branch is 2 1/4"

#341 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Here's the manifold/downpipe I've seen,

http://capriclub.co..../manifold-pinto

And here's an exhaust system,

http://capriclub.co....nto-2-inch-exit

I 'think' they should go together? I'm not sure though if it's going to be a bit boy racer for my tastes!?
I've still got my old mild steel system, the tailpipe diameter is 1 3/4 inch. I don't really want to fit it after the shell comes home though as it will look like arse on a pristine shell.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#342 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 5,858 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yeah that system goes with the manifold but the systems are loud, a bespoke stainless from powerflow won't be a world apart from the price of that and guaranteed for life and you can specify the volume of the system and tailpipe design, you could even just have a length of stainless pipe so it looks more original if you so chose, food for thought

#343 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Yeah that system goes with the manifold but the systems are loud, a bespoke stainless from powerflow won't be a world apart from the price of that and guaranteed for life and you can specify the volume of the system and tailpipe design, you could even just have a length of stainless pipe so it looks more original if you so chose, food for thought

I think I'll do what you say. Get one of the Ashley manifolds then take the car to someone like Powerflow for a full system. I'd like to keep it about standard really noise wise.

I'm going to probably leave the manifold off for now anyway as it'll make fitting the engine back into the car a bit easier.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)